User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Winston
(knowledge is power) Tue 22-Nov-11 23:00:52
Print Post

Who do I contact at BT

[link to this post]

Since about 5 weeks ago, after two idiot engineers were [censored] about with the BT cabinet near my house, my pings have been higher than my downloads. Which number at BT do I contact to get this sorted. I DO NOT want to get through someone in Mumbai.

Thanks

BE
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 22-Nov-11 23:07:42
Print Post

Re: Who do I contact at BT

[re: Winston] [link to this post]

How can Pings be higher than downloads? Pings measured in milliseconds, downloads in MegaBytes or possibly Megabits per second.

And what could technicians at te cabinet do to change either of those, unless you are on an infinity based service?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Nov-11 23:10:34
Print Post

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/5627,5629 and you won't need to speak to anybody.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Nov-11 23:14:12
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

I also suffer from that: Ping to BBC.co.uk 26 ms; Download speed 19 Mbps, but I'm not complaining!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 23-Nov-11 17:54:15
Print Post

You need to talk to BE.

Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-11 12:51:02
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

You are not comparing to like things there: the ping reading is a measure of latency, the b/s reading is a measure of throughput.

Individual packets might take 26ms to get from the BBC and back, but the network protocols can have many packets "in flight" at any time. Like driving: It might take two hours for one car full of people to get from York to Grimsby and back (so the round-trip latency is two hours) but you could have hundreds of cars making the trip at any given time so that latency does not (directly) affect throughput. Or like satellite TV: a HD channel needs much higher throughput then the older SD standards which is achieved by advances in sender+receiver tech that allows more bits to be correctly transmitted in a given amount of time, but the latency is the same for both (as the main factor in the latency is the speed of light which limits how fast the data can get from the station to the satellite and then down to your dish).

High latency will affect the speed of interactive traffic (where one end needs a response from the other before sending another request but outside extreme cases it does not affect bulk transfers in either direction.

Saying "I have higher latency than throughput" makes no sense. The two figures measure completely different aspects of the communications link.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Nov-11 13:21:48
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dspillett:
Methinks you missed the joke?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Nov-11 14:17:26
Print Post

Longwinded! Far easier to realise that units are incompatible.

@ Roberto: [trophy]

Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 24-Nov-11 14:41:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:

Not unlikely. I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to social interaction!

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Nov-11 14:55:30
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Not unlikely. I'm not the sharpest tool in the box when it comes to social interaction!
Ah, smile.

When it smells like a rat;
runs around like a rat shouting "Hey look at me";
and is posted by

a respected well-informed member of the forums ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to