User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Aliturk
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-11 13:32:32
Print Post

Bitterly regret moving to BT broadband

[link to this post]

How can I get out of this 18 month contract?

During the 10 day stabilisation period, my sync speeds gradually increased to around 5300 kbps with download speeds around 4600. Now the period is over, download speeds have slowed to a crawl. In fact it's almost impossible to get on to any speed checker site, but managed one this morning which showed 0.30 kbsec.

When I was with zen I had a more or less continuous sync speed or around 4800 kbps, with download speeds of around 4000, with these sort of line stats:

VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.1 dB / 6.7 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 50.0 dB / 29.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 0.0 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 16298 / 3

I'll try another router later and possibly another BT socket faceplate. Telephone support is farcical, with them ultimately saying I should wait for 28 days before the connection is stable.

Edited by Aliturk (Wed 23-Nov-11 13:32:55)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Nov-11 14:44:35
Print Post

Re: Bitterly regret moving to BT broadband

[re: Aliturk] [link to this post]

Without actual connection speeds it is hard to judge those stats.

A sync of 4 to 5Meg should be feasible at 50dB attenuation, and no sign your noise margin has been forced up.

Question is this. Is the sync ok, and the problem is actually just throughput, i.e. nothing to do with the ADSL2 part of the line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 23-Nov-11 15:38:21
Print Post

Are you outside the "cooling off" period? if not then tell them that you are unhappy with the adsl service and want to move to another supplier
If that period has elapsed already then best start the ball rolling if you are getting no where with their technical support, log all communication between you and them, dates times names of who you have spoken too, ect, if the tech support route is useless , then make a complaint a formal complaint in witting via the post (to sign for)
should that also fail ,then you could E-mail their ceo or register your complaint with their ADR service but i think `12 weeks have to past before they can do anything for you, options from there are request letter of deadlock upon receipt of it , they may tell the isp to pay you some compensation, and basically let you leave penalty free by waving the rest of the contract term

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Aliturk
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-11 16:23:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

They sync has deteriorated. Before I left for work today was down to about 1900 kbps, with Zen it was a more or less constant 4800, when I first migrated to BT the sync went up and held at a stable 5300. I did have a couple of slow-downs followed by a disconnect, as warned in the BT blurb.

Throughput is through the floor. Web pages barely load. Speed test sites don't load at all now, but the one I did manage to use gave a download speed of 0.30mbps

Am at work now so can't give any further detailed stats at the moment
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 23-Nov-11 16:32:08
Print Post

Presume Zen was an up to 8Meg only ADSL product?

You are now on ADSL2+ and modem is using ADSL2 mode. Also which modem are you using the HH3? Some people find using a different one can help, i.e. it is possible line always was a little unstable, but previous modem masked this nicely for you.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User NuttyMucker
(member) Wed 23-Nov-11 16:53:09
Print Post

I moved to BT August 2010 and got out of the contact the following January after them failing to get me above 0.5Mb when TT had got me over 1Mb for 4 years. I complained at least twice a week and when they insisted on an engineer calling to my address for a third time I told them that I would not be available Monday to Saturday for at least 3 months due to work ing schedule which was true. I was greeted with a response of thats your problem. I asked for the contract to be terminated with no early penalty and they agreed. I received my MAC within a week and an email stating no early penalties. They did send me a £43 bill for the home hub but as I was never asked to return it they wrote that off also.

Now with ADSL24 and couldn't be happier smile

Did have a BT engineer booked to the house today due to issues with my upload so arranged to have the morning off work. They didnt show and by the time it was confirmed they were not showing it was too late to go to work I ended up having to take the day off.

Thanks a bunch BT

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Wed 23-Nov-11 17:03:01
Print Post

[re: NuttyMucker] [link to this post]

Did have a BT engineer booked to the house today due to issues with my upload so arranged to have the morning off work. They didnt show and by the time it was confirmed they were not showing it was too late to go to work I ended up having to take the day off.

Thanks a bunch BT
Then send them an invoice to cover your financial loss. Don't be silly about it and be fair but firm. They will eventually pay up -- probably as a "goodwill gesture".

Whilst in calm and collected mode, you might as well let the "main man" (Ian Livingston) know about this issue. (Using the words of that Tesco slogan "Every Little Helps".)

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User Aliturk
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-11 17:19:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

The zen product was up to 20 meg ADSL2+, but the speeds were just under 5 meg due to line length from the exchange.

I am using the HH3 but will try another modem tonight. I used to use a Netgear router and will try one of these when I get in.

Regardless of the sync rate, I can't think what's reducing the throughput to next to nothing

Edited by Aliturk (Wed 23-Nov-11 17:34:14)

Standard User Aliturk
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-11 17:27:27
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

How long is the cooling off period? Is that so many days after placing the order or so many days after receiving the service? I was migrated on 10th Nov
Standard User Aliturk
(experienced) Wed 23-Nov-11 17:29:17
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I thought the tech support was getting a bit dodgy when he asked if I had access to a screw driver to unscrew the BT face plate, Maybe that's what they normally ask people
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to