User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User TLMC
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 15:46:16
Print Post

BT mail security issue

[link to this post]

I received a phone call this morning on the way to work from my wife who said she received an email from my BT Account at 12:30am today at her work email. It had been sent to all my contacts in my BT Yahoo contacts list. At that time last night all my computers were turned off (We had a chinese and an early night smile). IN getting to work this morin g my boss also said he received the mail from me together with one of the other guys I have as a contact. Later this morning I received a mail from the other guy saying he had also received a mail from another guy at work who has a BT Account with the same message contents.

Were the BT servers last night compromised and all contact details used by someone to send stupid emails?

Not happy as the only way I know of stopping this is to delete all my contacts so that BT Yahoo no longer hold those details, which I did this morning. Checked my outbox and there were no messages recorded as being sent since 1st November (I use different methods rather than the online mail fro sending messages in most cases).

Can't find any mention of this anywhere.

TLMC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Nov-11 15:55:09
Print Post

Re: BT mail security issue

[re: TLMC] [link to this post]

Damn clever these Chinese!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Nov-11 16:00:38
Print Post

Or one of the three of you has a virus which has attacked the other two.

Have you run a full scan, with updated detection software?

I'm afraid whether the problem is this, or Yahoo, your contact list is a horse.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User TLMC
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 16:12:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

yep ran a scan and nothing found. This appears to have happened whilst all my computers were turned off. My guess is something happened on the BT Servers rather than locally as I use outlook and have a lot more contacts than on my BT Account. It only went to my BT stored contents not my Outlook contacts. A totally different set of contacts. He was not one of mine and I am not one of his

TLMC
Standard User TLMC
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 16:13:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

yep, it was repeating a bit smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Nov-11 16:26:08
Print Post

Maybe one of your previously sent emails To:/CC: your Yahoo contacts got forwarded into the wrong hands, In which case there would be no security breach.

Can you tell if one of your Yahoo contacts did not get the spam?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User TLMC
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 16:34:11
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I have never sent an email to all of my contacts in one go as they are all diverse contacts hence this one looking like something happened at BT. Checked my outbox and nothing that contans all the contacts, in fact some of the contacts are not used on emails. One thing it has done is give me some feedback on my contact details as some of them are not deliverable due to no longer valid addresses, but hey, I've now deleted them all my contacts as stored on the BT servers/cloud so that's no longer a problem

TLMC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 24-Nov-11 16:40:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by TLMC:
all my contacts as stored on the BT servers/cloud so that's no longer a problem
Till it rains.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Croftie
(member) Thu 24-Nov-11 18:08:38
Print Post

Virgin Media have just come under attack: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2011/11/23/virgin-m...

Sounds like BT are now the target. Change your password to a strong one is about all you can do I think.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 25-Nov-11 00:56:06
Print Post

[re: Croftie] [link to this post]

Obviously the simple method of locking an account after say 10 bad login attempts has passed Virgin and others by.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to