User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sat 26-Nov-11 11:44:29
Print Post

Option 3 with Fibre to Infinity

[link to this post]

I tried to get Infinity about 6 months ago, but as the speed checker said my line was 14.6Mbps, couldn't order it, so opted for Fibre Option 3.

Since getting Option 3, my D/L speeds have been increasing to around 25Mbps, but U/L capped at 1.6Mbps. However, the speed checker says my line will now support Infinity !

Rang BT this morning and they confirm they can transfer me with no penalty to Infinity (with 10Mbps U/L). Will cost an extra £2.50 a month, but that includes unlimited call package (not just evening and weekends).

Seemed a good deal, so ordered it.

Wish BT marketing would tell their customers they can do this without us having to find out for ourselves as I did.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Sat 26-Nov-11 12:39:33
Print Post

Re: Option 3 with Fibre to Infinity

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

I took this option too - was already paying for my anytime free calls package. But, moved from O2 who simply do not have a fibre product.

The extra costs are really marginal and worth it for the extra speed. Pretty much a no-brainer.

I had a 59db line, which surpringly managed to give me connection at 5.7megs and downloads around 3.5 to 4 megs most of the time. O2 set me a NM of 3, andI did get the odd disconnect each day, but I was happy to live with that rather than sacrifice speed for stability.

I now get 37.5 megs if I connect to the HH3 via ethernet, and get up to 19megs wireless (and that's to old wireless b/g machines!).

Might try homeplugs (can't really string cat5 around), but the main problem is that my studio is on it's own ring (deliberately, so I don't get clicks and pops from household appliances). I just wonder how well homeplugs will work with round trips to the dist box. I've seen some pretty dire speeds from supposed 200mbs (100 duplex).

But, that said, so far, the service has been great apart from a wee glitch in the week when downloads were slower than uploads (4 down 6.5 up). People suspected there was something being streamed by loads of folk on the net - and therefore affected the whole network.

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Sun 27-Nov-11 08:54:18
Print Post

Re: Option 3 with Fibre to Infinity

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Thanks for the input.

There have been posts here on the Forums on homeplugs- try a search and see what you get.

Try them from Maplin, Amazon or Argos. You can always take them back if they are no good !

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to