User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PaulHunter
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 14:55:02
Print Post

Should I Restart My Home Hub 2?

[link to this post]

I noticed a couple of days ago (via my hub's stats) that my line had disconnected about 7.00am one morning, resulting in a halving of Download Speed to 687Kbps, and Noise Margin of 10.8dB. Today, two days later, things are even worse, with Download Speed of 475Kbps and Noise Margin up to 19.1dB! I've read it's not always a good idea to restart routers, but to wait for BT DLM to automatically sort problems of this nature out over time. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Nov-11 15:00:47
Print Post

Re: Should I Restart My Home Hub 2?

[re: PaulHunter] [link to this post]

Yes restart it, just don't do it multiple times in an hour.

Speeds are often slow after a disconnect, as the noise that caused the disconnect may still be happening, but a few minutes later may have gone away.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulHunter
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 16:34:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the quick reply. For info, there was only a very small immediate improvement in download speed to 490 Kbps, with the IP profile still stuck at 500Kbps. I did note however, that DSL Connection Rate has now gone up from 576 to 1472 Kbps, and an improvement in NM from 19.1 to 10.3db, so hopefully things will improve automatically? Does BT's "Wait 10 days" policy apply to a restart of their Home Hub or should I expect an improvement sooner? Thanks

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Nov-11 16:38:23
Print Post

The IP profile will now catch up, anytime from an hour to five days. So sit back and assuming you hold something above 1152 you should get a 1Meg profile

Forget the 10 day policy, that only set a figure that is nothing to do with this.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PaulHunter
(newbie) Mon 28-Nov-11 16:53:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks
Standard User andygegg
(learned) Mon 28-Nov-11 17:34:04
Print Post

Like the man says, just restart it. In my experience, BT does NOT gradually match speed to lline. I'll have a steady 1.5M for a week (+/-0.5%), then it will drop by half and sit there rock solid for a week, then halve again. Nowadays I just reset the HH. If I feel like it, I'll send BT's Bombay script jockeys a snotty eMail to vent my spleen knowing full well it won't do a scrap of good.

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 28-Nov-11 17:44:38
Print Post

[re: andygegg] [link to this post]

The 10 day training period is vastly over stated, the line will train to the best conditions so the current target noise margin.

This target noise margin can go up or down at any point in a BT Wholesale connections lifetime.

Print Thread

Jump to