User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User lelboy
(regular) Wed 30-Nov-11 01:54:25
Print Post

Odd download speeds

[link to this post]

Hello, A bit of help needed, please.
Web pages "seem" slow to load, and when I used TBB 1gb file download my download speed shows just 1.6MB for most of the download: when it nears the end of the download, it appears to speed up to about 16-20MB. Does this seem right on an Infinity product? Were I to do a TBB speedtest immediately prior to the file download, it typically shows 30-34 down & 7-8 up.
If I try to record iPlayer for later viewing using Applian "Jaksta", it only downloads in "real time" i.e. 29 minutes for an half hour programme. YouTube downloads seem fast enough, but I don't time them.
Got off the phone a while ago from a BT BB guy. He went through all the usual suspects and "talked" me through changing my wireless channel from 6 to 11: he said "that is BT's fastest channel! I use an ethernet cable to connect! He said the change would improve both wireless & hard-wired: any thoughts?
Any help much appreciated.
XP SP2
Intel 3GB Dual-Core
4GB DDR2
HH3
BT supplied router
One socket in house/no extensions & Openreach socket not 3 feet from the PC
Cheers, Les.
Standard User Jaggies
(committed) Wed 30-Nov-11 10:17:22
Print Post

Re: Odd download speeds

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

What do you get from a BT speed test?

~~~~~
Brian
From September 2001 on BTopenworld Home 500/Home 1000/Home 2000. Then ADSLMax on <n>ildram. Moved to ADSL2+ from ADSL24. I'm now with plusnet. I'm not saying who I work for. Any opinions expressed here are my own.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 30-Nov-11 10:34:10
Print Post

Forget the speedtests and such to start with.

Ensuure you are connected to te Router with a wired connection - 100Mbps or 1Gbps

Open up Task Manager with the Networking tab and also TBBmeter.

Use TBB meter to try downloading a 500MB file and watch the graphs - they may not be flat but will give an indication. On a 30-35 Mbps Infinity line you will see about 3% or 30% on Task Manager and 30-35 Mbps on tbbMeter. If you can take a screenshot and host it with a link we can comment, but that will be the first indication of whether you have a good/bad line or connection.

Once you have that - try a BT speedtest to get your sync speed and throughput - but don't waste the test you can only do 1 every hour.

And please, can you get your units correct ... M - Mega, b - bits (used for speeds) & B - Bytes (used for data volumes or file sizes). Everyone will understand those rather than trying to work out what you mean.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 01-Dec-11 11:09:19
Print Post

a BT BB guy. He went through all the usual suspects and "talked" me through changing my wireless channel from 6 to 11: he said "that is BT's fastest channel! I use an ethernet cable to connect! He said the change would improve both wireless & hard-wired: any thoughts?
Total, utter, and absolute rot.

First, the optimum wireless channel for any user depends almost entirely on what other wireless networks are around them. Whatever channel is in use, it spreads over about 4 channels, with the peak being the one you have set. The more that others overlap them the slower your actual transfer is likely to be.

InSSIDer is an excellent free tool to see what channels are in use, if you are interested, but seeing as you run wired it doesn't really matter.

I've never heard of optimising the wireless channel helping the wired connection. If both are in use then the more that is coming down the wireless the less you can get down the wired, and vice versa, as you have a limited amount on the connection itself.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User lelboy
(regular) Thu 01-Dec-11 12:46:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply.
That was my thought, and in a nutshell, the BT guy was just giving flannel. I let him ramble on, thanked him and then ended the call - no better off.
MHC berates me a little for giving confusing figures, but I presented exactly what Windows Download showed i.e. Download @ "1.6MB/sec"; as we speak I am downloading TBB 1GB file, which is showing 161MB of 1GB @ 1.7MB/sec (now 870KB/sec with 8 minutes remaining). Some random files I've downloaded are in the "K"s - not the "M"s.

Download speed - tested concurrently - shows 24.46Mbps down & 7.8Mbps up..
My original post had no interest at all in wireless, just a query about the seemingly slow download speed and the fact that my normal TBB tested speeds are 30+ down & 8+ up - coupled with iPlayer only seeming to record in real time (via Applian). As I said,YouTube for example, seems fine but there is a lag between changing pages especially on the BBC news pages - often needing a refresh to get the page to load.
I have uninstalled FF8 a couple of times, reverted back to 3.6 and then installed FF8 again (my usual browser revision).
My question was - do I have a specific PC problem or problem with the router/HH3 or BT generally?
Again, any help much appreciated
(requests to use the BT speedchecker draw a blank "try again later" is all I get)
Cheers, Les
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 01-Dec-11 12:59:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by lelboy:
Hi Bob, Thanks for the reply.
That was my thought, and in a nutshell, the BT guy was just giving flannel. I let him ramble on, thanked him and then ended the call - no better off.
MHC berates me a little for giving confusing figures, but I presented exactly what Windows Download showed i.e. Download @ "1.6MB/sec"; as we speak I am downloading TBB 1GB file, which is showing 161MB of 1GB @ 1.7MB/sec (now 870KB/sec with 8 minutes remaining). Some random files I've downloaded are in the "K"s - not the "M"s.

Download speed - tested concurrently - shows 24.46Mbps down & 7.8Mbps up..
My original post had no interest at all in wireless, just a query about the seemingly slow download speed and the fact that my normal TBB tested speeds are 30+ down & 8+ up - coupled with iPlayer only seeming to record in real time (via Applian). As I said,YouTube for example, seems fine but there is a lag between changing pages especially on the BBC news pages - often needing a refresh to get the page to load.
I have uninstalled FF8 a couple of times, reverted back to 3.6 and then installed FF8 again (my usual browser revision).
My question was - do I have a specific PC problem or problem with the router/HH3 or BT generally?
Again, any help much appreciated
(requests to use the BT speedchecker draw a blank "try again later" is all I get)
Cheers, Les

So, did you download a 1gb or 1 GB file?
And trusting the Microsoft download monitor is a big mistake.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User lelboy
(regular) Thu 01-Dec-11 14:06:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Hello MHC,
Hmm, as an MOT tester for VOSA, I have to be reasonable literate, have passable vision and have a grasp of comprehension - to enable me to do my job: otherwise think of all the dodgy MOT's I may have done!
I joke a bit, but I know what I've said and seen - I download, repeatedly, the TBB "1GB" file; that's how it shows on the top of the TBB file download choice. I do grasp the significance of capital & lower-case letters and my 1st post said exactly what the situation was.
As I said to Bob, no interest in wireless at all - just wanted an opinion on two situations i.e. apparent strangeness with regard to sync speed and downloading of file speed and secondly, whether there was anything particular about why iPlayer - via Applian - only downloads at real-time speed.
Any help much appreciated (forget BT speedtester, it never works for me).
Cheers, Les.
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Thu 01-Dec-11 14:26:49
Print Post

Hey,

Just as an aside, have you tried this BT one? (rather than the usual BT thingy)

http://speedtester.bt.com/beta/

I have just got Infinity, and via ethernet I get 37.5 Mbps.

And, not what you are looking at I know, but I also get 12-19 Mbps via my old wireless g stuff (just did one and got 14.88Mbps), on a machine 3 rooms away (that is through 2 solid walls, in fact 2 outside walls as the room is an extension!).

My line originally was 59db attenuation, and it was about 8db to the cabinet.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Rob

PS I did have a time (like a day or so) when I had uploads at 8Mbps and downloads at 6Mbps!!! But all seems good now. Suspicions were on general network congestion, probably a footie match being streamed or somesuch wink

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Dec-11 14:38:24
Print Post

Applian appears to be a way of ripping streamed video, and as such the rate it receives video will be governed by the methodology the streaming server uses, so provides very little clue to speed of service.

The Windows you are downloading X of Y at a rate of Z currently, pop-up window is notorious for not being good at displaying accurate figures. Hence the creation of software like http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

If you are downloading the 1GB file, then the trick is to compare the completition time with the guidelines we give on the page, or do the actual maths and time it accurately.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 01-Dec-11 15:01:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by lelboy:
... and my 1st post said exactly what the situation was.
[pantotime] Oh no it didn't! tongue smile [/pantotime]

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to