User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Thu 01-Dec-11 11:04:40
Print Post

Permanenlty leave usb stick in HH3???

[link to this post]

Hi,

I am using the HH3 USB port with a 32Gb pen drive as a simple and useful way to make some network storage available to all computers in my home.

In this way we can drop off and pick up files and then not have to rely on a.n.other computer being switched on when we want to move files around.

A couple of questions -

First ... is it OK to leave the stick in all the time? That is, it will be always powered?

The other thing, is this drive "safe" given that the HH3 may be hosting BT FON or OpenZone people? I know their sessions are independent, but could they possibly gain access to the usb stick?

All in all, if this is all OK, then I think this is a great way to provide some network storage, without having an external USB drive always spinning. (This is why I went to a decent size stick - 64Gb are still silly prices, but 32Gb are cheap as chips now.)

Cheers,

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 01-Dec-11 15:05:10
Print Post

Re: Permanenlty leave usb stick in HH3???

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Can't answer the question, but "32Gb are cheap as chips now" is not too surprising ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Dec-11 15:13:52
Print Post

Best way to check is try and access a key when installed using the Fon and Openzone system? Highly unlikely it will be visible given the VPN style nature of those parts of the system.

As for leaving plugged in, so long as not getting ultra hot I'd see no problems. Pendrive has been in glovebox of car for almost 3 years, pending being removed for the monthly updates with new music

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Thu 01-Dec-11 16:19:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks Andrew,

Well, it's been in for 24 hours now, and is not as warm as the HH3 casing ... which is only just warm and been on for 2 weeks now. So I guess it's gonna be OK.

A nice cheap, but simple way to provide some shared storage without having to worry if a machine is on or not ... so long as everyone here remembers to drop files in this "private local dropbox" ... if nothing else for printing on different printers etc wink

As for the security, yes, I agree, unlikely to be a problem being VPN-like ...

Cheers,

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Thu 01-Dec-11 16:24:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

@Robertos ... ta ...

But, I remember not too long ago when we were waiting for the 1Gb sticks to be available, and 512Mb was considered to be big. Most people I knew then wanted the sticks to hold a CD's worth!

Got my first 4Gb one for £10.99 on fleabay .. was quite chuffed then ...

The only thing is to watch out for the large capacity stick scams around ... I buy known brands, from reputable shops/sellers .. and so far, fingers crossed, not come across any problems.

Cheers,

Rob

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User Daniel_g
(learned) Thu 01-Dec-11 16:28:55
Print Post

Hello

I am sure as daft if it is that people on the BT fon wont see it, hope not as I do what you say but is just a way of doing 2 copies of emails or something that don't want just on computer and so loose if computer dies ( yest do back ups but short term the stick does the job.

I leave on all the time as router is on and it works since may all ok.
Memory stick might get a bit warm but mine goes. only a old 32Mb thing from years gone by but for letters or emails ok.

I think it is a good feature and will be safe as the bt fon is a different thing and not part of the internal private set up you have so why would it show up.daft design if it does!. But won't. Can you try to prove a point to yourself, not sure how but andrew comes up with tech stuff so guess it is ok and so knows his stuff.

Hello to you as well!.

Just what I think.
From Daniel

WORKS FOR ME, very nice.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Dec-11 10:03:04
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Best way to check is try and access a key when installed using the Fon and Openzone system? Highly unlikely it will be visible given the VPN style nature of those parts of the system.
I checked. It's not visible.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Sun 04-Dec-11 18:22:31
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hi

Many thanks. As I thought. And ... I must say - it really works a treat.

I did also connect up a usb disk and that was fine too.

Now, I wonder ... will a usb hub and more devices work ... ho hum ... fun!

Cheers,

Rob

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 05-Dec-11 09:51:25
Print Post

No reason why not - but make it a powered hub.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 07-Dec-11 13:14:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobFlet:
Hi,

I am using the HH3 USB port with a 32Gb pen drive as a simple and useful way to make some network storage available to all computers in my home.

I've got a 500GB HDD stuck in mine, it is brilliant spinning or not.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to