User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kplex
(member) Thu 01-Dec-11 18:15:24
Print Post

BT site saying I can and can't get Infinity at the same time

[link to this post]

Hi,
Having a bit of a dilemma signing up with BT, or rather moving by line rental and broadband over from Sky. When I go to the BT site to check if I can Infinity it returns 2 entries for my address the first saying I can get Infinity (29MB) and the second saying I can only get 6MB.

Have spoken with customer care about placing an order and they don't know whether I would be able to get Infinity or not, saying that the only when the engineer installs the line would they find out.. ie I'd take the risk of moving and potentially end up with the same connection speed.

Anyone ever had this problem before and got it sorted? Or any advice on how/where to raise this with BT to get a clear indication about whether I would get Infinity.

Thanks,
John
Standard User mysticeddy
(learned) Thu 01-Dec-11 19:06:08
Print Post

Re: BT site saying I can and can't get Infinity at the same

[re: kplex] [link to this post]

Surely all the BT site is doing is quoting you a line speed for BT Total Broadband and Infinity; it's what it does for my line so nothing unusual going on.
Standard User kplex
(member) Thu 01-Dec-11 19:11:49
Print Post

[re: mysticeddy] [link to this post]

Not quite, I enter the house number and post code and rather than tht uniquely identifying my house it throws back 2 addresses. One of which lists the housing estate name twice. For example:

123 Estate Name, Estate Name, Town, Postcode
123 Estate Name, Town, Post Code

They are both referencing the same house but depending in which one you click on you get conflicting information about whether Infinity is available.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 01-Dec-11 20:34:39
Print Post

If they will accept an order for Infinity, then that is what they will install or nothing.

The Openreach engineer would fail the install if they arrive and it turns out you are not able to get it, they would NOT automatically enable ASDL on the line.

Ensure that on any order paperwork it refers to BT Infinity, since this is marketed as their fibre service.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 02-Dec-11 00:00:27
Print Post

Pinch of salt!
Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check
Only by providing phone # can you be sure whether you can get it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User BuckleZ
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 02-Dec-11 05:37:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by kplex:
Not quite, I enter the house number and post code and rather than tht uniquely identifying my house it throws back 2 addresses. One of which lists the housing estate name twice. For example:

123 Estate Name, Estate Name, Town, Postcode
123 Estate Name, Town, Post Code

They are both referencing the same house but depending in which one you click on you get conflicting information about whether Infinity is available.

MIne done the same thing.. and I got it no problems

BT Infinity
~200m from NILDW PCP21
40000/10000 Sync
13" Macbook Pro - 2.3GHz Core i5, 4GB DDR3, 320GB
Standard User kplex
(member) Fri 02-Dec-11 21:38:13
Print Post

[re: BuckleZ] [link to this post]

Placed the order today and got an estimated line speed of 29Mb. Fingers crossed for later this month then.

Thanks all for the responses.
Standard User kplex
(member) Mon 19-Dec-11 10:35:43
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Just had Infinity installed this morning, currently sitting at around 20MB but the engineer reckons it'll stabilise at 40MB over the next 24 hours.

The home hub appears to be a lot better than the old Sky Sagem I'd been using on first inspection.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 19-Dec-11 12:42:33
Print Post

In reply to a post by kplex:
Just had Infinity installed this morning, currently sitting at around 20MB but the engineer reckons it'll stabilise at 40MB over the next 24 hours.

The home hub appears to be a lot better than the old Sky Sagem I'd been using on first inspection.

A little suspicious of that.

What does the BT Speedtester at http://speedtest.btcentralplus.com/ give? Actual and Configured values.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Mon 19-Dec-11 14:06:47
Print Post

<quote>currently sitting at around 20MB but the engineer reckons it'll stabilise at 40MB over the next 24 hours</quote>

That sounds a little odd to me. Annecdotal evidence follows...

My line started at something like 38/10 but after flapping around a little over the first week or two settled on 31/10. The other FTTC install I've seen in action pretty started at the low 30s and pretty much stayed there.

I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if you see a bump up frmo ~20 to ~40 unless the 20 is due to an artificial BRAS limit rather than because or line conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP, aa.net.uk) via FTTC at ~36Mbit down & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to