User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User mr2gti
(member) Sat 10-Dec-11 14:09:56
Print Post

Infinity - York. Pinch of Salt?

[link to this post]

OK, simple one for the pro's out there.

Girlfriends parents are now realising what technology can do for them and they are now enjoying a nice shiny new Internet TV and a realisation of what a PC can do too.

They have a BT line and have currently got Orange Starter BB (2gb cap) and it tops out at 2.3m/b!

Now this is pointless for the gear they now have and what they'll be able to do with it. So - as i'm with Vivaciti - I explained the LLU package i'm on and Glenn at Vivaciti confirmed this is available.

Her Dad being her Dad has started looking round for himself and stumbled upon Infinity - which is saying to be available.

Now looking on exchange maps, The house (Manor Lane YO30 5XX) has Clifton Exchange between the house and York Exchange.

York Exchange is Infinity-able, Clifton Exchange is not.

So BT say the address IS Infinity enabled - but the distance from York to the address is 3 miles or so. So - how does this work?

Fibre to the Nearest cabinet then wiring to the house? Any help is greatly accepted - and i'm not super techy - so simple answers please lol.

Short Signatures will stop confusion... [censored]!
Standard User Zadeks
(committed) Sat 10-Dec-11 15:33:03
Print Post

Re: Infinity - York. Pinch of Salt?

[re: mr2gti] [link to this post]

Correct.
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Sat 10-Dec-11 16:36:20
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Hi, a fellow Yorkie here - Wiggy/Haxby ...

Had Infinity for 1 month and get 37.5 megs down and 8 meg up on ethernet, and get around 22 megs down and 6 up via wireless.

My distance to the exchange is lengthy (in New Earswick) and I was getting around 3 megs with O2, but only 135k-160k with Orange (via BT). So a huge boost in performance.

Best thing is to enter the phone number in the BT checking thing to see if you can actually order Infinity. Well worth it ... and in effect, only a marginal increase in cost.

If you know which of the BT green cabinets in the street your phone line goes to (usually not too far away), then have a look and see if there's a brand new shiney cabinet next to it - then you may well be in luck.

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Sat 10-Dec-11 17:50:34
Print Post

Hi,
If you give Glenn another call he can check if Fibre is avalible to your in-laws for you.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Dec-11 18:57:16
Print Post

That postcode is served by cabinet 51, so there should be an FTTC cabinet within 50 metres of it, probably much closer than that.

As it is/was scheduled for Phase 4b I would think it is live. As has been suggested, try their number in the BT Infinity checker. You can do that on your own phone.

One of the packages from the other FTTP ISPs may suit them as well. See this page and the orly/yarwell speadsheet it links to.

What about any minimum term on the Orange contract?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User mr2gti
(member) Sat 10-Dec-11 20:43:12
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hi folks...

Orange account is out of contract, since 2008! Absolute scam artists charging £15 a month - 2gb cap and 2mb speeds. But I guess they didn't know the score and only the new TV has brought this to light.

Now, this revelation of Fibre via Vivaciti is a fantastic one to which I am going to certainly enquire.

I did ring BT expecting the worse - but the nice woman on the phone confirmed it indeed was available.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sun 11-Dec-11 12:28:03
Print Post

Always check the fibre availability via phone number, as the postcode is not the most accurate way, and never will be as it covers a number of properties.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User mr2gti
(member) Sun 11-Dec-11 12:40:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yep done that, gave the woman over the phone it too and she confirmed.

The In-laws have spotted the BT box, it's visible from the front window. Going to be a huge culture shock going from 2gb cap with 2mb... to Fibre and unlimited cap (£25 a month option).

Print Thread

Jump to