User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User rdt
(regular) Sat 10-Dec-11 15:39:23
Print Post

Infinity - what's installed on the PC?

[link to this post]

I'm considering switching to Infinity, and note that it requires an engineer's visit to swap the master socket faceplate and run an installation CD on a PC.

The reason for my question is that my partner has BT Broadband with an earlier Home Hub, and there is a whole load of BT junk installed on her PC, which seems to act as something of a "gateway" to her internet connection. I'd like to avoid any client software installation if possible, unless there's something extremely useful and/or necessary. I don't want any BT Yahoo email addresses.

What's the installation CD for?
Is it actually required, or can the HH3 router just be configured via a browser & ethernet cable?

Thanks for any feedback.

Edited by rdt (Sat 10-Dec-11 15:40:07)

Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Dec-11 15:42:16
Print Post

Re: Infinity - what's installed on the PC?

[re: rdt] [link to this post]

From memory...and it's a long time ago...I think it installs some sort of "help" application but it doesn't seem to be necessary at all. I've long since re-formatted my PC so it's long gone.

I don't believe the engineer actually needs to use it. So no, it's not strictly required.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Dec-11 16:13:22
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

IIRC there was a post recently by someone just moved to Infinity who asked the engineer not to load the CD. No problem.

Aren't the connection details preset in the HH anyway? Default values anyway as it is done by identifying the line number?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Sat 10-Dec-11 16:43:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hey, just ask the engineer to NOT run the installation stuff. Simple config via ethernet as expected, and a doddle to set up with wireless as well.

Also, a useful thing to know is that the Home Hub 3 has a nifty USB port on it ... I have stuck a 32gig memory stick in it, and this now gives a piece of network storage for all systems on the home network. So, you can simply drop files into folders on the stick and then they are available to anyone, and you don't have to have the machine switched on like other network sharing.

Others have stuck 500 gig disks on (powered) and they work well too - I just used solid state as I'm not sure the external USB disks are designed for 24/7 work!

Cheers,

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User rdt
(regular) Sat 10-Dec-11 18:17:22
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

OK, thanks for the feedback everyone.

And Rob, I'd seen that post of yours re the memory stick in the USB port: sounds like a plan.

Cheers.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 11-Dec-11 03:11:35
Print Post

Yep. If you're using a wired connection it should be a case of plugging it in and waiting for it to connect. Provided your PC and network card aren't set to manual addresses (eg actively set to 10.0.0.2 or whatever) it should require next to no work to get running.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
29.5Mbit down / 5.5Mbit up
Standard User Croftie
(member) Sun 11-Dec-11 11:53:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by rdt:
there is a whole load of BT junk installed on her PC, which seems to act as something of a "gateway" to her internet connection

It may be different today but years and years ago when I first got BT I tried their software and it was basicly just a frontend for internet explorer. Is sounds like that is what she has got. Do her a favour and install Firefox. As others have said the BT software isn't needed and the engineer should be happy to spare you of it.
Standard User sel
(member) Sun 11-Dec-11 12:08:43
Print Post

You don't NEED to install anything on the CD to get it to work. When I had Infinity installed the Engineer didn't even mention the CD. tbh I didn't even look at what was on the CD as it is usually just junk that bloats out your PC (as you mentioned). Everything is working fine for me. I have since replaced the Home Hub and Globalreach modem with a single box modem/router solution anyway.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 11-Dec-11 12:35:14
Print Post

[re: sel] [link to this post]

smile
Globalreach modem
?
I think you mean Openreach. Global Reach appears to be many things, but not a supplier of VDSL2 modems in the UK tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User sel
(member) Tue 13-Dec-11 19:08:12
Print Post

DOH! Good spot. I meant Openreach. No idea where Global Reach game from - must have been tired smile
  Print Thread

Jump to