User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-Dec-11 11:02:28
Print Post

Re: Exchange ADSL2+ enabled, can I get it?

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

We could do with the definite figures, as 1984 @ 5.8dB doesn't agree with your earlier post of 19xx when tweaked to 3dB.

But in any case, my choice would be to be upgraded to ADSL2+ then force it back down to ADSL2.

ADSL2+ uses the ADSL frequencies plus as many again higher up, and those higher frequencies are subject to noise just like the standard ones. So you can get more instability. They also attenuate more than the standard ones, and on long lines don't even get used at all for the signal. But they still pick up the noise.

ADSL2 uses the same frequencies as ADSL but more efficiently. So you may get a slight increase in download speed but probably with acceptable stability. Tweakable just as now.

What you would probably get with either ADSL2+ or 2 would be a higher upload speed, if that would be useful.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User shtu
(experienced) Thu 15-Dec-11 21:10:25
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

OK, here's the figures. SNR a bit lower than I posted earlier, but it's night now.

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 02:23:59:17
Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 2

Statistics Downstream Upstream
Line Rate 1984 Kbps 448 Kbps
Noise Margin 5.3 dB 9.0 dB
Line Attenuation 63.5 dB 31.5 dB
Output Power 17.3 dBm 12.3 dBm
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 63 15
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 2 8
D (interleaver depth) 16 4
Super Frames 15244360 15244358
Super Frame Errors 24670 364
RS Words 518308252 129577043
RS Correctable Errors 723574 2616
RS Uncorrectable Errors 786265 0
HEC Errors 1859 84
OCD Errors 650 60
LCD Errors 0 60
ES Errors 0 0
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 15-Dec-11 21:54:39
Print Post

Did your 70dB attenuation come from a different router then? The 63.5dB is a common "highest reporting figure", so it could very well really be 70dB.

Unclear whether you did the 3dB tweak at a very noisy time or what smile, as you are clearly nowhere near that now. A day-time untweaked reconnection, then stats taken immediately afterwards would be interesting.

But the whole debate is academic. As has been said, your downstream on ADSL2+ (G.992.5) could be worse than now, ADSL2 (G.992.3) could be perhaps 100-200kbps higher, but upload on either probably quite a bit higher than 448kbps.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 16-Dec-11 09:35:18
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Did your 70dB attenuation come from a different router then? The 63.5dB is a common "highest reporting figure", so it could very well really be 70dB.

Slaps forehead - the 70db is a figure calculated by DMT.

Unclear whether you did the 3dB tweak at a very noisy time or what smile, as you are clearly nowhere near that now. A day-time untweaked reconnection, then stats taken immediately afterwards would be interesting.

The line here appears to be better in wintertime, a couple of months back I would get that sort of sync by forcing the margin right down, seems to need less now.

As for the values straight after resync, I think i may have perma-confused the DLM system now, usually settles at about 14xx with a 10db margin and won't improve if left alone.

But the whole debate is academic. As has been said, your downstream on ADSL2+ (G.992.5) could be worse than now, ADSL2 (G.992.3) could be perhaps 100-200kbps higher, but upload on either probably quite a bit higher than 448kbps.

Indeed. I'll have a play around when the marketing stuff arrives through the letterbox.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 16-Dec-11 10:13:56
Print Post

Don't re-sync more than a few times in an hour. You probably have done.

The critical value was originally 10 times, but I would say stay below 5 or 6. It sounds as though you have triggered a 3dB rise.

From my website
If the increase is done by the system then it should self-correct after 10-14 days stability and moderate error rates. It is best not to disconnect or re-sync at all in the period but it seems the occasional one doesn’t matter. The self-correction causes a drop of 3dB in the target margin and an automatic re-sync. If the original rise was more than 3dB then the process needs to repeat as many times as required.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Fri 16-Dec-11 11:56:53
Print Post

Naah, I've avoided that, it just seems to have itself in a knot from the margin being forced. I'll do a speedtest for entertainment value, see what profile it's got just now, at one stage I had a 1Mb profile with nearly twice the throughput...
Pages in this thread: 1 | [2] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to