User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User cbackham
(learned) Thu 22-Dec-11 17:02:23
Print Post

Question about the hardware configuration of BT Infinity

[link to this post]

I'm considering switching from Virgin to BT Infinity.

Does the BT Infinity setup have a separate VDSL modem that the Home Hub router connects to? And if it does, does it provide an ethernet port that I can just connect another ethernet router to instead of the BT Home Hub? Or is the VDSL modem built in to the BT Home Hub?

The reason I ask is that my home network is already set up quite to my satisfaction with a Buffalo router running Tomato firmware using a number of advanced features, and I want to keep it that way. Of course I could daisy-chain the routers if I have to, but if the Hub can be dispensed with that would be better.

And while I'm here, another question about BT Infinity: How reliable is it? I work from home and reliability is much more important than raw speed. My Virgin connection has generally been very good, and I couldn't afford to switch to something less reliable. To a certain extent I'm tempted to stick with the devil I know - but the Infinity package does look rather tempting.
Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 22-Dec-11 17:23:43
Print Post

Re: Question about the hardware configuration of BT Infinity

[re: cbackham] [link to this post]

Does the BT Infinity setup have a separate VDSL modem that the Home Hub router connects to?
Yes.
And if it does, does it provide an ethernet port that I can just connect another ethernet router to instead of the BT Home Hub?
Yes.
Or is the VDSL modem built in to the BT Home Hub?
No.
The reason I ask is that my home network is already set up quite to my satisfaction with a Buffalo router running Tomato firmware using a number of advanced features, and I want to keep it that way.
Eminently sensible and do-able. smile

And while I'm here, another question about BT Infinity: How reliable is it?
As long as it has been correctly installed and configured, very reliable. According to my neighbour's experiences, it can not be faulted.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User cbackham
(learned) Thu 22-Dec-11 17:29:25
Print Post

[re: burakkucat] [link to this post]

Many thanks, burakkucat, for your quick and to-the-point response.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User burakkucat
(committed) Thu 22-Dec-11 17:37:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by cbackham:
Many thanks, burakkucat, for your quick and to-the-point response.
You're welcome. wink

If you do decide to go ahead and transfer to BT Infinity, please keep of log of your experience and then share it here.

A clear and precise statement of fact will always be appreciated by others who are also considering to make a similar transition.

-----------------------------------------------------

100% Linux and, previously, Unix.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 22-Dec-11 23:31:01
Print Post

Cannot add much to the replies but one point to consider.

Rather than a Residential connection consider going for a BT Business account - it can run over a residential phone line. You get guaranteed throughput so even if there is major congestion you will receive priority. Tech support is in Scotland and good, 24 hour 365 day with a freephone number.. Fault response time is a lot quicker than Res,

Yes, a little more expensive but depending on your circumstances, potentially tax deductible (HMRC tend not to allow Res accounts) or VAT recoverable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User flashpaul
(newbie) Sat 24-Dec-11 16:29:13
Print Post

I run a Buffalo dd-wrt router on infinity , in fact its the same one I used a few years ago with Virgin

I would recommend using the BT Hub initially though as I think its the only way to register for BT-FON
which gives you free access to BT Openzone WIFI

The BT Homehub only has limited features anyway so its worth replacing anyway.
Standard User Ellios
(newbie) Wed 28-Dec-11 16:00:58
Print Post

[re: flashpaul] [link to this post]

Running a Netgear WNDR3700 router alongside the BT Openreach modem. Installed 06/06/2011 shortly afterwards the modem died and BT quickly replaced the modem and retested line quality (all within two weeks of original install)

since then no downtime, no errors and reliable 35mbps down 6mbps up

home network consists of NAS boxes, games machines, switches, wireless extender, TV (internet) laptops and desktop - no problems at all, have used Googles DNS 8.8.8.8/8.8.4.4 - but recently using BT's own DNS again with no issue

I am happily using BT infinity with no complaints so far...
Standard User Renfrew
(regular) Wed 28-Dec-11 20:43:19
Print Post

[re: Ellios] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Ellios:
Running a Netgear WNDR3700 router alongside the BT Openreach modem ......

Just out of interest, which release of firmware are you using for the WNDR3700 and is the router v1?

--
Dave N

Every day, ...... is another day
Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Wed 28-Dec-11 21:44:33
Print Post

[re: Renfrew] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Renfrew:

Just out of interest, which release of firmware are you using for the WNDR3700 and is the router v1?

I am also running this model of router ( a Version 1)

Hardware Version WNDR3700
Firmware Version V1.0.7.98
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.64

Standard User Renfrew
(regular) Thu 29-Dec-11 10:35:33
Print Post

[re: Squirrel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Squirrel:

I am also running this model of router ( a Version 1)

Thanks. I've been following the discussions on Netgear's forum re: WNDR3700v1 http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=67852 (warning - long thread currently 24 pages) where there are persistent reports of dropped wireless connections using beta firmware 1.0.16.98-dns, and of the DNS proxy failing for firmware 1.0.7.98 which is one of the issues that 1.0.16.98-dns was brought out to fix.

I've reverted to 1.0.4.98 until such time as the final version of 1.0.16.98 is issued by Netgear, but I'm interested to hear of others' experiences. What settings do you use for DNS?

--
Dave N

Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 10:52:40
Print Post

I've reverted to 1.0.4.98 until such time as the final version of 1.0.16.98 is issued by Netgear, but I'm interested to hear of others' experiences. What settings do you use for DNS?

My router updated itself automatically to 1.0.7.98 the first time I switched it on. I have never had any problems with it at all since that time. I have also been reading the long thread about 1.0.16.98 and have decided not to try it out.

My DNS settings currently are

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address

Use These DNS Servers
Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 194.74.65.68

Standard User Ellios
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 12:54:53
Print Post

I'm using the same as previous poster Squirrel, a version 1 router

I'm not experiencing any of the issues mentioned in the link you provided, sometimes the Blackberry's used in the house fail to pick up the wireless network, but this is not uncommon elsewhere outside of the house flakey RIM software I think...
Standard User Renfrew
(regular) Thu 29-Dec-11 15:00:13
Print Post

My router updated itself automatically to 1.0.7.98 the first time I switched it on. I have never had any problems with it at all since that time. I have also been reading the long thread about 1.0.16.98 and have decided not to try it out.

My DNS settings currently are

Domain Name Server (DNS) Address

Use These DNS Servers
Primary DNS 8.8.8.8
Secondary DNS 194.74.65.68

Many thanks to both you and Ellios. It is obvious that the alleged problems do not affect everyone. Perhaps I will simply allow the router to upgrade itself. My use is far from unusual with, currently, but one wireless netbook in use capable only of 54Mbps. I note that Ellios has used both Google DNS and BT DNS without problems and he is also on 1.0.7.98 firmware.

--
Dave N

Standard User Squirrel
(knowledge is power) Thu 29-Dec-11 16:35:20
Print Post

My use is far from unusual with, currently, but one wireless netbook in use capable only of 54Mbps

My setup is far more complex than yours - but I have never had a single problem with the router

Router is connected to the OR VDSL modem, with output to an 8 port Gb switch and a Devolo 500Mbps homeplug device. Downstairs the other homeplug connects to a Netgear 5 port AV router feeding a PS3, Wii and Boxee Box.

I have permanent connections from the 8 port Gb switch to the following

Dell XPS420
HP Proliant Microserver
Win XP tower
Vodafone Sure Signal
Synology NAS
O2 Joggler
Lexmark Network Printer

Then wirelessly there are regularly 5 laptops, one connects at 300Mbps over 5Ghz, others usually about 150Mbs on the 2.4Ghz band. My Nokia N900 is also usually connected when I am in and there is a spattering of iPhones as the family comes and goes.

No router problems whatsoever though.

Standard User Renfrew
(regular) Thu 29-Dec-11 19:23:26
Print Post

My use is far from unusual with, currently, but one wireless netbook in use capable only of 54Mbps

My setup is far more complex than yours - but I have never had a single problem with the router

Router is connected to the OR VDSL modem, with output to an 8 port Gb switch and a Devolo 500Mbps homeplug device. Downstairs the other homeplug connects to a Netgear 5 port AV router feeding a PS3, Wii and Boxee Box.

Indeed. Apart from my wireless netbook, the router is only connected to one Solwise Homeplug AV (200Mbps) which is in turn connected to two other Homeplug AV devices. I have a desktop, a Home Theatre PC, a TV and a Blu-Ray player connected via the homeplugs and all of which are remote from the router. Now that No. 1 son has moved into his own home the demands on my network have reduced considerably. smile

I suspect that I'll either have to upgrade the homeplugs or install cat 5e everywhere, when BT upgrade infinity to "up-to" 80 Mbps. I've just upgraded my WNDR3700v1 to 1.0.7.98 and to first appearances all appears OK. The IP6 might come in useful later if I decide to migrate to Goscomb or A&A, but I have a lot of reading-up to do first.

--
Dave N

Standard User Ellios
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 20:03:45
Print Post

I used homeplugs across my house until recently, I found them to be reasonable but ultimately decided to run cat5e to each room either directly off the router or from switches

once you get going running cables around the home doesn't take too long and I'm happier now it's done

I hope you have trouble free usage from your Netgear Router smile
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Fri 30-Dec-11 23:09:12
Print Post

[re: Ellios] [link to this post]

once you get going running cables around the home doesn't take too long and I'm happier now it's done

The "wife test" is always the biggest hurdle to running Cat5! I'd happily have my house looking like a datacenter with raised flooring but apparantly it's not acceptable and I'm in the doghouse for suggesting it! laugh

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User Paladine
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jan-12 23:40:00
Print Post

[re: Adamant] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adamant:
The "wife test" is always the biggest hurdle to running Cat5! I'd happily have my house looking like a datacenter with raised flooring but apparantly it's not acceptable and I'm in the doghouse for suggesting it! laugh

See you haven't gone about it the right way. I am currently having all our ceilings replaced which means I have access to the space between the ceiling and floor above - best time to run the cables cos missus attention is diverted by the home improvements wink

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to