User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Thu 29-Dec-11 11:00:14
Print Post

Thinking of coming on board...

[link to this post]

Exchange: NDTHA
FTTC status:
RFS date set : 01/03/2012

Last time I checked, there wasn't even any indication that it would be enabled and now it's just 3 months away!

So, currently with Sky Unlimited and get about 10Mbps stable, download a fair bit from usenet (5-600Gb / Month) and streaming for the iPlayer etc

I'd like the faster speeds but don't want to be shaped / have my traffic fiddled with at all, I know BT shape P2P but do they count Usenet as P2P?

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User Ellios
(newbie) Thu 29-Dec-11 13:04:26
Print Post

Re: Thinking of coming on board...

[re: Adamant] [link to this post]

From my experience usenet through the BT mail servers is throttled back, but if you are paying for a provider (giganews, astraweb etc...) then it appears to be unrestricted

500 - 600 GB is a fair amount (personnel choice and all that) I would imagine your usage would attract inspection.... even if nothing was ever done, a quick read of BT's T&C's would be advisable

http://tinyurl.com/comxm26
Standard User tonym
(member) Thu 29-Dec-11 18:30:44
Print Post

Re: Thinking of coming on board... *DELETED*

Post deleted by tonym

Edited by tonym (Thu 29-Dec-11 18:31:41)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tonym
(member) Thu 29-Dec-11 18:34:16
Print Post

First of all, the dates can change time and time again, so beware.

BT only throttle torrents(p2p) and usenet is not throttled in any way. BT's own news servers might have limits but pay Newsproviders are not throttled. I can max my connection (about 32Mb) with my Newshosting connection and regularly download over 400GB a month. Speeds can vary but thats down to normal network traffic.

In reply to a post by Adamant:
Exchange: NDTHA
FTTC status:
RFS date set : 01/03/2012

Last time I checked, there wasn't even any indication that it would be enabled and now it's just 3 months away!

So, currently with Sky Unlimited and get about 10Mbps stable, download a fair bit from usenet (5-600Gb / Month) and streaming for the iPlayer etc

I'd like the faster speeds but don't want to be shaped / have my traffic fiddled with at all, I know BT shape P2P but do they count Usenet as P2P?

tonym
Standard User Winston
(knowledge is power) Fri 30-Dec-11 10:49:54
Print Post

I moved about 4 weeks ago. Have had no issues. Streaming on xbox is enjoyable now, gaming is enjoyable now. so no complaints from me so far. Not on FTTC though, just standard adsl around 4mbs.

But I am happy with that compared to the absolute broadband disaster provided by BE

BT Unlimited. Stable and quite happy
Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 30-Dec-11 12:34:36
Print Post

If I remember, you are in software development and work from home.

Have you looked at the Business package from BT. Guaranteed 16Mbps, next day fault repairs (if required) ...UK based freephone customer/tech support.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Fri 30-Dec-11 23:03:50
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Yeah, I'm in Software Development and do work from home a fair bit so the busines package does look like a good idea.

I can claim the majority of it against my tax return as well so makes it that little bit cheaper! smile

In reply to a post by MHC:
If I remember, you are in software development and work from home.

Have you looked at the Business package from BT. Guaranteed 16Mbps, next day fault repairs (if required) ...UK based freephone customer/tech support.

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User Adamant
(legend) Fri 30-Dec-11 23:07:16
Print Post

[re: Ellios] [link to this post]

Yeah, I've got an Astraweb and Newzbin account. Although, obviosuly, I can't access Newzbin these days! wink Oops, just broken the frst rule of usenet! laugh

I don't do that every month but my traffic is going up as time goes on - especially when a HD movie comes in at 50Gb each then 500Gb is only 2 and a bit films a week!

It seems that UK BB hasn't kept up with the things we like to download! smile

In reply to a post by Ellios:
From my experience usenet through the BT mail servers is throttled back, but if you are paying for a provider (giganews, astraweb etc...) then it appears to be unrestricted

500 - 600 GB is a fair amount (personnel choice and all that) I would imagine your usage would attract inspection.... even if nothing was ever done, a quick read of BT's T&C's would be advisable

http://tinyurl.com/comxm26

Adam
Sky Max LLU
Standard User MHC
(legend) Sat 31-Dec-11 00:27:42
Print Post

In reply to a post by Adamant:
Yeah, I'm in Software Development and do work from home a fair bit so the busines package does look like a good idea.

I can claim the majority of it against my tax return as well so makes it that little bit cheaper! smile

Majority ? All of it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 31-Dec-11 09:40:36
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:
Majority ? All of it!
Like your mobile phone or car tongue?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to