User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Paladine
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jan-12 19:46:11
Print Post

BT Home Hub

[link to this post]

My exchange is due to enable FTTC some time in March (Sam Knows is showing March 1st, BT Checker on their Infinity site is showing 31st March so I am guessing probably end of March or April as these things tend to get delayed).

I have seen BT doing a lot of work on cabinets here the last couple of months so I am confident it wont be set back yet another year like last year.

So I have been looking at various providers and it seems BT are actually doing the best deal on their £25 p/m unlimited with 40MB down and 10MB up and free access to their WiFi network (I travel a -lot-) - which is a shame I would much rather use a smaller provider.

Now I bought a nice Billion router last year specifically for FTTC so I just wondered if you are forced to take the BT Home Hub if you choose BT Infinity or whether you can use your own router?

I have been waiting for this upgrade for 2 years now so I am keen to make the move but I certainly don't want to use a BT Home Hub.

Failing that, are there any other providers offering a decent unlimited package with the 10MB upload?

Thanks,

Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 02-Jan-12 19:57:47
Print Post

Re: BT Home Hub

[re: Paladine] [link to this post]

No problem in using your own router - but it needs an Ethernet WAN interface.

However, if BT supply a HomeHub then you will need to keep it available for any fault finding if problems arise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 02-Jan-12 19:58:50
Print Post

[re: Paladine] [link to this post]

You can use your own router, but it is advisable to accept the included installation of the BT Home Hub. First it gives you a standby, and second there is some tie-in with the provision of the wifi elsewhere. That is provided on condition that you offer it on your Home Hub.

I have a feeling that they don't check this after the initial setting up, but may be wrong. Also I think some turn theirs on before travelling and off again when at home. Not sure if it is a monthly or instant thing though.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Paladine
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 02-Jan-12 20:10:31
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Well that is good then, I have no issue in keeping the hub for "fault finding" issues.

It is just a shame no-one else seems able to compete with BT on the FTTC stuff yet, the few providers I found offering unlimited with 10Mb upload were all much more expensive - I am not a big fan of BT due to past practices.

I don't actually need the unlimitd package but I do find myself using a lot more LoveFilm and Sky especially since the recent XBox dashboard updates, so I just want to future proof my usage as I can see my use of VoD services increasing over the next couple of years, given that I travel so much so I often end up using catchup services.

Thanks again for the replies.

Print Thread

Jump to