User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User BLOODUK
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 06-Jan-12 15:35:49
Print Post

BT Access Control, What's the point?

[link to this post]

BT Access Control

Use Access Control to set times when specific devices will be prevented from connecting to the internet. This can be handy, for example, if you’d like to cut down on the amount of time your children are online.

This means the Hub will block all incoming and outgoing traffic to specific devices between the hours of your choice.

What's the point of this if the older child of the family just comes down during the early hours and just Hard Reset's the router?. Is there no other way as i don't want them using it beyond 1am!.
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-12 16:02:11
Print Post

Re: BT Access Control, What's the point?

[re: BLOODUK] [link to this post]

Physically remove the router?

Use an ISP that does control at their end rather than in your house (I know AOL used to do this, not that I would recommend them normally, and others may have the option)?

Could lock the router in some for of cupboard so that they can't get at the hard reset (although need to be careful it doesn't overheat and burn the house down)?

Move to an ISP that requires username authentication so if they do hard reset the router it won't be able to connect to the net until it has been reconfigured (although if they know the username/password they could reconfig it themselves)?

In the end most technical solutions can be bypassed.
Standard User logicblock
(member) Fri 06-Jan-12 16:26:25
Print Post

Easiest way to stop them using a computer is to remove it smile

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Winston
(knowledge is power) Fri 06-Jan-12 19:35:22
Print Post

install parental control (windows) on your PC. You can then create profiles for each user which will only allow them to use the internet at times that you specify. Search for windows parental control

or http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/products...

I have used it and it seemed to work really well. You should be able to install it on individual pc's as well that run windows 7

BT Unlimited. Stable and quite happy

Edited by Winston (Fri 06-Jan-12 19:36:45)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 06-Jan-12 23:51:09
Print Post

[re: Winston] [link to this post]

It could be games consoles?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Winston
(knowledge is power) Sat 07-Jan-12 11:51:34
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

get the kids adopted

BT Unlimited. Stable and quite happy

Edited by Winston (Sat 07-Jan-12 11:52:41)

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Mon 09-Jan-12 09:37:26
Print Post

In reply to a post by BLOODUK:
What's the point of this if the older child of the family just comes down during the early hours and just Hard Reset's the router?. Is there no other way as i don't want them using it beyond 1am!.

Interesting. You say that it doesn't re-apply the block once the start time has passed and the router is reset? If so, report it to BT as a bug.

As i mentioned on another thread recently, there's no real fix for this - if the kids have physical access to the kit (even just the phone line) there's always a way round it.

I did a project a while back in a few children's homes to provide internet access - locked comms cabinets in locked staff offices, line terminated inside the cabinet, plus ISP-end content filters and access control.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 09-Jan-12 09:55:36
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by shtu:
In reply to a post by BLOODUK:

Interesting. You say that it doesn't re-apply the block once the start time has passed and the router is reset? If so, report it to BT as a bug.

How can it be a bug? A hard reset will delete all settings including access control which is exactly what it is supposed to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User BREWERDAVE
(regular) Mon 09-Jan-12 10:11:16
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Presumably it disables WPA2 as well?? If one of my kids had done that they would have had more than their privileges removed!!!
Think the only solution is to re-position the router in YOUR bedroom -as long as you have a phone socket,that is!
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 09-Jan-12 10:16:19
Print Post

[re: BREWERDAVE] [link to this post]

No, the default for the device is WPA-PSK with a preassigned key

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to