User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Sat 14-Jan-12 11:00:08
Print Post

BT Infinity - intermittant today? Anyone else?

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Not really a complaint, just that this morning my connection is varying in speed a lot.

One minute it's at full whack, say around 18-20 megs down (wireless), and 8 megs up. Then it drops to near zero, climbs a bit to 4-6 megs down, but still 6-8megs up.

Been doing this for the last few hours. I'm sure it'll all come back OK.

Oddly, the BT beta tester generally gives full speed, whereas speedtest.net and TBB give the 6-8 megs.

Been trying to do my bit on Zooinverse, and it's too slow to do much.

Anyone else seeing odd issues - I guess there's more general network problem as nothing here has changed. Maybe the -4 degrees C is the problem - brrrrrrr ...

Cheers,

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 14-Jan-12 11:40:53
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity - intermittant today? Anyone else?

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Fine here. Try wired to rule out wireless problems.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Sat 14-Jan-12 11:50:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

The wireless is fine. Seems to be back now ... but was odd for a while. Did not change anything, re-boot or restart ...

I have seen this happen a few times, and just have to wait for things to shake down somewhere on the net.

I see the status page says that last night they were doing "network improvements". Maybe they were late restarting bits and pieces and some routes had not fulyl re-established? Just a wild guess.

Before ...
http://speedtest.net/result/1706427810.png

Now...
http://speedtest.net/result/1706477163.png

Cheers,

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 14-Jan-12 11:54:03
Print Post

Just to clarify, were your problems wireless or wired?

I ask in case you were actually getting wireless interference, which you could see via Inssider.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Sat 14-Jan-12 15:07:19
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

Hey there,

Thanks for the info. Yup, already checked with InSSider ... all was OK ...

All really strange, but there's a lot of OpenReach activity around here with people taking up the BT Infinity.

Basically because the old copper from the cabs to the exchange was 51db loss, and then another 8db of aluminium (very very noisy too) to the houses we were mostly sub 1 meg, and now we can get 37 megs! So, a no brainer.

But, as I type this, I am getting NO internet again, even though everything is connected ... the occassional upload takes place ... bt tester showing 0 megs for most tests.

Oh well, probably get sorted ... must be a fault somewhere ...

Cheers, Rob (if you get this at all today ... )

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 14-Jan-12 18:20:17
Print Post

Look on the back of the modem, does it say B3 ? Also, is it wall mounted ?

Print Thread

Jump to