User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Spikester84
(regular) Sun 15-Jan-12 20:06:00
Print Post

21CN WBC line stats?

[link to this post]

Hi guys,

To cut a long story short, I used to be with BT broadband, but moved to TalkTalk LLU for the better speeds. Unfortunatly, I have not had the best experience with TalkTalk, and noticed that my exchange is being upgraded to 21CN WBC, and to my knowledge, that means that BT Broadband will be moving from ADSL Max to ADSL2+.

When I was with BT, I thought they were very good, the broadband was very stable and the Homehub 2 was excellent. Now BT is quoting my estimated speed to be 11meg(not sure how accurate that is as I no longer have a BT phone ling) and I was wondering if anyone who is on BT's ADSL2+ service could post there line stats?

My current Line Attenuation is 30db Downstream and my Noise Margin is around 9db on TT LLU. Would that possibly change for the better on BT ADSL2+?

Any help is much appreciated smile

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Jan-12 23:14:08
Print Post

Re: 21CN WBC line stats?

[re: Spikester84] [link to this post]

What connection speed do you get on TT? In a perfect setup it ought to be over 14Mbps, possibly approaching 15Mbps.

The BT connection-time default noise margin is 6dB, so you should gain between 750 and 1200kbps compared to whatever you get now. If the line proves stable then the new BT WBC DLM will reduce the margin by another 3dB giving the same rise again.

On the new DLM the IP Profile is no longer in steps, taking ages to adjust. It is approximately 88.2% of the connection speed and adjusts immediately. Much better than the old one and no longer a draw-back.

If your connection speed is significantly below 14Mbps at the moment I suggest a probable wiring problem at your end.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
(regular) Mon 16-Jan-12 08:01:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info

My current line stats through a Netgear DGN2000 router are:

Connection Speed 13927 kbps 1019 kbps
Line Attenuation 30.5 db 14.0 db
Noise Margin 7.1 db 10.9 db

But that is with Interleaving OFF, and to my knowledge that reduces your sync speed slightly. My line is stable, as far as I know there is no problems with it.

I think that if I move to BT Broadband 21CN and they reduce my noise margin to, as you said, 3db, surely I should be sync'ng at around 15/16meg?

Steve

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Jan-12 10:23:03
Print Post

Depends what the noise margin is read immediately after a re-connection. You are at the bottom end of what I suggested on TT, so that would be useful.

Have a look at my ring/bell wire and Miscellaneous nasties pages here.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

(regular) Mon 16-Jan-12 11:41:48
Print Post

What is the standard noise margin for BT at the moment on ADSL2+?

I know when I first went onto TalkTalk that there default is 12db, and that was what I was on to start with, but when asking them to remove Interleaving, I also asked them to put me on the 6db profile, but was advised to go down in increments of 3, for example as I was on 12db profile to go down to 9db's let that stabalise, then move onto there fastest profile the 6db, but I have just never got round to asking them to move it onto the 6db's as everything has been fine, so didn't see the point in changing it.

Steve
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Jan-12 13:50:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by Spikester84:
What is the standard noise margin for BT at the moment on ADSL2+?
Second paragraph of my first reply tongue.

(regular) Tue 17-Jan-12 08:03:11
Print Post

Sorry, can't believe I missed that!

One other thing, when I changed from ADSL Max to LLU, my attenuation went up by the usual 3db, if I move from LLU onto BT's 21CN WBC broadband, will it increase the attenuation again?

Steve
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jan-12 09:59:00
Print Post

No

The 3dB attenuation rise is only because of ADSL2+, switch down to ADSL2 or ADSL modes and it goes away. They have not made your line longer.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to