User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 21-Jan-12 21:51:27
Print Post

Move from ADSL2+ then switch to FTTC when the cab is enabled

[link to this post]

Hi,

As per the question has anyone done the above?
My FTTC is ready but the exchange is not live yet, can I order a ADSL2+ connection then switch to Infinity?
If so what costs and time frames should I expect?
Or should I wait until the FTTC goes live and just order that?
(moving house on the 1st of March, exchange is due to go live March 2012!)

Thoughts / Ideas welcome!

Paul
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 21-Jan-12 22:11:12
Print Post

Re: Move from ADSL2+ then switch to FTTC when the cab is ena

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

There is no problem in migrating from ADSL2+ to FTTC. Infinity is just the BT Broadband product using FTTC. There are many other ISPs offering it.

There are also many monthly contract good ADSLx ISPs.

I expect BT would happily upgrade you from their Total Broadband to Infinity when it becomes available there, and probably the worst that could happen would be your minimum term extended to 18 months from that date. If you definitely want Infinity, ask them now smile. (But get the name of the person you speak to and write it down with the date and time).

Have you checked the estimated FTTC speed (and ADSLx speed) for the address? Have you even checked that FTTC will be available there, at least in the initial launch for that exchange? It all depends on whether the local cabinet is enabled, not just others on the exchange.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 21-Jan-12 22:12:40)

Standard User bookey
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 22-Jan-12 13:32:28
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Result from checker.

For Postcode BD23 3DW Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial check on your postcode indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service. Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 2Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4.5Mbps. Our check also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5.5Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed between 27.7 to 29.3 Mbps and upstream line speed between 11.1 to 11.7 Mbps. The actual stable line speed supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use. This speed may change over time, to ensure line stability is maintained. Thank you for your interest. Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.

I have seen the fttc cab next to the pcp. It seems powered due to a low hum.
The exchange is not due to go live until march 2012.

I am aware other isps can offer fttc other than bt but I need cost effective for now.

The question was more will bt upgrade me to fttc when still in contract for the adsl2+ service. Or should I use 3G for a month or so then order fttc when its full live?

Paul

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Jan-12 14:38:14
Print Post

[re: bookey] [link to this post]

Cabinet 14 I hope? All lines on that will have FTTC available smile.

I would be ringing BT, as well as asking here, like I said. Though whether anyone at BT that you can contact will know is another q frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to