User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eps
(regular) Mon 23-Jan-12 12:17:46
Print Post

BT Infinity and Windows XP Pro

[link to this post]

Hi

I thought I'd post this on behalf of my in-laws... They had it installed on Thursday.

They moved over to BT Infinity. Engineer came, it all worked, he left. They were happy..

Then a couple of days ago they couldn't connect, cue calls to India.... Then after that they called me... Still no real solution.

Then they called BT Support again..

Eventually a customer service rep told them that the problems were with :

1) Windows XP Pro - they would need to get Windows 7.

2) The Netgear dongle they have - there are "known issues" with this wireless dongle.

They were advised that the equipment they have (which was all working fine with a standard ADSL connection) forgets all the information settings each time it's rebooted... [censored]? That sounds like scare tactics to me and clutching at straws.

They have, so they tell me, a Type A hub, btw.

I don't think the issue is with their equipment, but I have been unable to go to their place to verify if any of the issues actually exist.. I suspect the Firewall is playing up and possibly other security software, but we've been over that and it seems to be working fine.

So, does anyone else have issues using a PC with Windows XP Pro and Infinity? Is there any foundation to this issue? I haven't got the Netgear dongle part number to hand, but I couldn't find anything on any of the forums to indicate that there could be an issue... The device uses WEP vs WPA encryption..

I am due to go over on Saturday morning, to see if I can sensibly get to the bottom of all of this, but would appreciate a heads up, i.e. if Windows XP Pro _is_ the problem, then won't waste time pursuing it, or other possible issues.

Can I use another router in place of the hub? I will take ethernet cables etc.. plus have own laptop and phone, so should be able to quickly verify any issues with the signal strength or hub..

Are there any obvious things to check..? i.e. possibly a faulty cable or filter or so on? Anything to check on the hub itself (i.e. 192.168.1.254)..

mtia

BeThere value, was very impressed with NEWNET, ex <n>ildram
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 23-Jan-12 12:28:59
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity and Windows XP Pro

[re: eps] [link to this post]

What a load of ****

Why should the OS have any effect? Ethernet protocol is OS agnostic - and does not care!

I run several PCs with XP pro and no issues and there are none.

There can be problems with some wireless interfaces - don't know which but some can be a problem. I can log on to my Business hub, but have not yet managed my neighbours' Residential (I have agreement and keys).

They must have an Ethernet cable there. Can they disable wireless and plug straight into the hub? If that works - totally disable encryption on PC and router deleting all profiles. Reboot PC and hub, and try to make a connection. If that succeeds move up to WEP ad then to WPA.

Maybe do a reset hub to defaults - if all else fails.

Also, take a not of the time and date of te call and ensure that they escalate the call with a complaint as CS should not be giving false or misleading information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jan-12 21:23:38
Print Post

First step, rule out wireless by using an Ethernet cable

If a faulty filter, the various status lights on the Openreach modem and HH3 would give more information.

I've had problems with the HH3 and wireless devices, some devices work fine and others don't. If the HH3 is running in an N mode try forcing it down to use JUST 802.11g

Also which Netgear dongle is it? Some have a pre-N faster than 802.11g mode, which may cause problems, so disabling that option on the dongle is an issue.

Its not XP Pro thats the problem, a driver or HH3 issue most likely.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lelboy
(member) Tue 24-Jan-12 14:29:40
Print Post

Hi, I feel that BT are giving you the runaraound.
I use a desktop PC with Windows XP - SP3, by wireless or ethernet cable and both are fine.
i also use a small laptop with Windows 7 ultimate and the same applies to that ie no problems with either wireless or cable.
I use the HomeHub 3 as provided by BT, along with the supplied router.
I have had minimal problems in nearly a year and certainly none related to "wrong operating system, mate".
Back to telephoning BT, I'm afraid, or using the support on these pages via a bt_care poster.
Hope this offers a bit of insight, and stops you being concerned about OS.
Cheers, Les.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Jan-12 14:58:25
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

Will add that XP is slipping off the supported list for many call centres and activities.

Shame in some ways, as its smaller footprint makes it ideal for slower older machines.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lelboy
(member) Tue 24-Jan-12 15:38:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You're right, Andrew, it is a shame as I think XP in its "now" incarnation is a perfectly useable OS for many of us, and for many, many uses.
Does it sound as though BT - in this instance - are using that premise ie "on its way out" to fob the customer off? Yes, I think they are and it's a p**s poor customer service attitude. Will the bt guys on TBB be able to help? I hope so.

Cheers, Les.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jan-12 16:03:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Will add that XP is slipping off the supported list for many call centres and activities.

Shame in some ways, as its smaller footprint makes it ideal for slower older machines.

I have seen a NEW system installed and being commissioned last weekend and certain parts are running Win 3.11 - yes you have read it correctly!

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Jan-12 16:17:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Many embedded systems function perfectly well on limited and highly testable systems.

It is no surprise to see very old looking OS still being used, the trick is to use what is most appropriate for the task

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jan-12 16:40:45
Print Post

Exactly ... and it still uses Token Ring! Not the most reliable - but those maintaining and managing know the foibles ... There are even original Pentium processors in some parts!

M H C

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 18:00:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

I have seen a NEW system installed and being commissioned last weekend and certain parts are running Win 3.11 - yes you have read it correctly!

How on earth are they obtaining licenses from MS to commission new boxen with Win3.11?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jan-12 18:04:22
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
How on earth are they obtaining licenses from MS to commission new boxen with Win3.11?

I have asked the same question ... and cannot get an answer except "They are licensed and it has been agreed with MS".

M H C

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 18:26:45
Print Post

Interesting. I guess MS aren't averse to raking in a few quid on software ~20 years old. I presume this isn't on a regular PC setup?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to