User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User eps
(regular) Mon 23-Jan-12 12:17:46
Print Post

BT Infinity and Windows XP Pro

[link to this post]

Hi

I thought I'd post this on behalf of my in-laws... They had it installed on Thursday.

They moved over to BT Infinity. Engineer came, it all worked, he left. They were happy..

Then a couple of days ago they couldn't connect, cue calls to India.... Then after that they called me... Still no real solution.

Then they called BT Support again..

Eventually a customer service rep told them that the problems were with :

1) Windows XP Pro - they would need to get Windows 7.

2) The Netgear dongle they have - there are "known issues" with this wireless dongle.

They were advised that the equipment they have (which was all working fine with a standard ADSL connection) forgets all the information settings each time it's rebooted... [censored]? That sounds like scare tactics to me and clutching at straws.

They have, so they tell me, a Type A hub, btw.

I don't think the issue is with their equipment, but I have been unable to go to their place to verify if any of the issues actually exist.. I suspect the Firewall is playing up and possibly other security software, but we've been over that and it seems to be working fine.

So, does anyone else have issues using a PC with Windows XP Pro and Infinity? Is there any foundation to this issue? I haven't got the Netgear dongle part number to hand, but I couldn't find anything on any of the forums to indicate that there could be an issue... The device uses WEP vs WPA encryption..

I am due to go over on Saturday morning, to see if I can sensibly get to the bottom of all of this, but would appreciate a heads up, i.e. if Windows XP Pro _is_ the problem, then won't waste time pursuing it, or other possible issues.

Can I use another router in place of the hub? I will take ethernet cables etc.. plus have own laptop and phone, so should be able to quickly verify any issues with the signal strength or hub..

Are there any obvious things to check..? i.e. possibly a faulty cable or filter or so on? Anything to check on the hub itself (i.e. 192.168.1.254)..

mtia

BeThere value, was very impressed with NEWNET, ex <n>ildram
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 23-Jan-12 12:28:59
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity and Windows XP Pro

[re: eps] [link to this post]

What a load of ****

Why should the OS have any effect? Ethernet protocol is OS agnostic - and does not care!

I run several PCs with XP pro and no issues and there are none.

There can be problems with some wireless interfaces - don't know which but some can be a problem. I can log on to my Business hub, but have not yet managed my neighbours' Residential (I have agreement and keys).

They must have an Ethernet cable there. Can they disable wireless and plug straight into the hub? If that works - totally disable encryption on PC and router deleting all profiles. Reboot PC and hub, and try to make a connection. If that succeeds move up to WEP ad then to WPA.

Maybe do a reset hub to defaults - if all else fails.

Also, take a not of the time and date of te call and ensure that they escalate the call with a complaint as CS should not be giving false or misleading information.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jan-12 21:23:38
Print Post

First step, rule out wireless by using an Ethernet cable

If a faulty filter, the various status lights on the Openreach modem and HH3 would give more information.

I've had problems with the HH3 and wireless devices, some devices work fine and others don't. If the HH3 is running in an N mode try forcing it down to use JUST 802.11g

Also which Netgear dongle is it? Some have a pre-N faster than 802.11g mode, which may cause problems, so disabling that option on the dongle is an issue.

Its not XP Pro thats the problem, a driver or HH3 issue most likely.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lelboy
(member) Tue 24-Jan-12 14:29:40
Print Post

Hi, I feel that BT are giving you the runaraound.
I use a desktop PC with Windows XP - SP3, by wireless or ethernet cable and both are fine.
i also use a small laptop with Windows 7 ultimate and the same applies to that ie no problems with either wireless or cable.
I use the HomeHub 3 as provided by BT, along with the supplied router.
I have had minimal problems in nearly a year and certainly none related to "wrong operating system, mate".
Back to telephoning BT, I'm afraid, or using the support on these pages via a bt_care poster.
Hope this offers a bit of insight, and stops you being concerned about OS.
Cheers, Les.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Jan-12 14:58:25
Print Post

[re: lelboy] [link to this post]

Will add that XP is slipping off the supported list for many call centres and activities.

Shame in some ways, as its smaller footprint makes it ideal for slower older machines.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User lelboy
(member) Tue 24-Jan-12 15:38:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You're right, Andrew, it is a shame as I think XP in its "now" incarnation is a perfectly useable OS for many of us, and for many, many uses.
Does it sound as though BT - in this instance - are using that premise ie "on its way out" to fob the customer off? Yes, I think they are and it's a p**s poor customer service attitude. Will the bt guys on TBB be able to help? I hope so.

Cheers, Les.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jan-12 16:03:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
Will add that XP is slipping off the supported list for many call centres and activities.

Shame in some ways, as its smaller footprint makes it ideal for slower older machines.

I have seen a NEW system installed and being commissioned last weekend and certain parts are running Win 3.11 - yes you have read it correctly!

M H C

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 24-Jan-12 16:17:13
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Many embedded systems function perfectly well on limited and highly testable systems.

It is no surprise to see very old looking OS still being used, the trick is to use what is most appropriate for the task

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jan-12 16:40:45
Print Post

Exactly ... and it still uses Token Ring! Not the most reliable - but those maintaining and managing know the foibles ... There are even original Pentium processors in some parts!

M H C

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 18:00:38
Print Post

In reply to a post by MHC:
In reply to a post by MrSaffron:

I have seen a NEW system installed and being commissioned last weekend and certain parts are running Win 3.11 - yes you have read it correctly!

How on earth are they obtaining licenses from MS to commission new boxen with Win3.11?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 24-Jan-12 18:04:22
Print Post

[re: GeeTee] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeeTee:
How on earth are they obtaining licenses from MS to commission new boxen with Win3.11?

I have asked the same question ... and cannot get an answer except "They are licensed and it has been agreed with MS".

M H C

Standard User GeeTee
(committed) Tue 24-Jan-12 18:26:45
Print Post

Interesting. I guess MS aren't averse to raking in a few quid on software ~20 years old. I presume this isn't on a regular PC setup?
Standard User mealsoful
(newbie) Mon 21-Jul-14 19:21:14
Print Post

I have xp and when I move to infinity it would work then it didnt work if I switch modem on and of it will sometimes work. I phoned help about 10 times .they said it was my computer. I put a clean copy of xp and it still does not work. It works on my laptop which is windows 7. The experts said it was a coincedence that it worked with and my compte r before infinity and my computer must have gone wrong during the change. Another think they said was that it could be a pirate copy I told them it wasnt. I said I had changed the ethernet cable 3 times also it wont work with wirless
conection. They could not solve the problem and gave me a months money back and the cost of the modem. If I type ip address it will sometimes it comes up with fault cant find ip address so I am convinced it is a BT software problem
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Jul-14 19:53:38
Print Post

[re: mealsoful] [link to this post]

You may need to sort out your XP TCP/IP settings. Good programs to do that automatically for you are DrTCP and TCPOptimizer. (Note the "z" in that, not "s").

Windows 7 sorts itself out.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 56.6/14.1Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Mon 21-Jul-14 19:54:37)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 21-Jul-14 19:56:38
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity and Windows XP Pro *DELETED*

Post deleted by RobertoS
Standard User rogerfp
(newbie) Mon 21-Jul-14 22:22:43
Print Post

The BT support "technicians" advice is utter rubbish.
First what do you mean can't connect?
Is it that they know they are not connected wirelessly to the router or is it that when opening the browser they get "page cannot be displayed" error?
Until this is verified you are working in the dark
Obviously if you go over there with a laptop, tablet or mobile phone and can connect wirelessly to the router and open a web page, then the problem is on the pc.
Windows XP has a regular history of the tcp/ip stack registry entries becoming corrupted for no good reason. Vista also sometimes suffered, but have never I come across the problem on 7 or 8
Try downloading a small utility called WinsockXPFix.exe which is still available although 9 years old.
A Google search will find multiple download sites. This will reset it for you.
And of course you can always leave it on the pc for them to run again if a problem reoccurs.
You can do it manually using the netsh commands.
Run a Command Prompt as admin and type "netsh winsock reset catalogue" and press return. Reboot and the connection will be fine if that is the problem.
I've also come across firewalls that have become corrupt and totally block access for no reason.
Norton was/is famous for it. Only option is to uninstall the firewall.
Hope this may help.

Edited by rogerfp (Mon 21-Jul-14 22:35:38)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Jul-14 12:55:29
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by rogerfp:
Windows XP has a regular history of the tcp/ip stack registry entries becoming corrupted for no good reason.
What evidence have you of that? I've never had problems with XP's settings.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 13:26:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

But does need its TCP parameters adjusted, in particular RWIN and maybe MTU. As I recommended earlier.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 22-Jul-14 13:45:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, I've never had a problem with XP and Infinity

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Jul-14 13:52:21
Print Post

We were discussing corruption, not tweaking/configuration.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User rogerfp
(newbie) Tue 22-Jul-14 14:15:30
Print Post

Having been in IT for over 25 years and worked as an engineer for Microsoft supporting everything OS from DOS, Windows 3.1 Windows 95, 98, ME, XP to Vista and then working for myself for 10 years I can assure you this is not an unusual occurrence. Because you have never heard of it means absolutely nothing. So what are your credentials?

Edited by rogerfp (Tue 22-Jul-14 20:25:50)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 22-Jul-14 14:19:49
Print Post

[re: rogerfp] [link to this post]

Never seen it happen, but clearly does since MS have a page for it http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

But moving on, can we please NOT have a credential waving exercise

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 14:25:21
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

But you probably had it already sorted out for ADSLx smile.

I'm assuming the poster is running with an as-it-came XP which has a tiny RWIN. 65K IIRC.

Edit:- DSLReports says "By default, this window is too small (8760 for Windows 95/98/98SE/NT and 17520 for Windows ME/2000/XP) for many types of DSL and Cable (Broadband).".

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 22-Jul-14 14:39:29)

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 22-Jul-14 14:34:17
Print Post

Afternoon eps

Remember to take if available, a suitable laptop or similar, ethernet cable, splitters etc!

Better too much than too little, particularly if your in-laws are some distance away.

Possibly a corded phone to do a Quiet Line Test, in case the Infinity switch has caused line problems.
Standard User Rastus
(committed) Tue 22-Jul-14 14:41:58
Print Post

[re: eckiedoo] [link to this post]

Not sure if you realise this thread is 6 months old wink

Edit: Oops! Just noticed it's even older thanks to RobertoS post below. I hadn't noticed the year!

Edited by Rastus (Tue 22-Jul-14 14:50:46)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 14:47:13
Print Post

Not really.

The corruption discussion arose from the post you challenged, which was a reply to a 2012 OP.

I'm addressing the thread revival post, where there is almost certainly an RWIN and possibly MTU problem.

I think everyone else has lost sight of that post smile.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Jul-14 15:02:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The corruption discussion arose from the post you challenged
Exactly, and you challenged my corruption challenge with something not to do with spontaneous corruption.

I never challenged your RWIN/MTU advice, which is entirely appropriate for XP.

Nor did I lose sight of the point; I was responding to a specific post as the thread links will show.

But you may have the last word as is your wont and waste more post space ...

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Tue 22-Jul-14 16:13:51
Print Post

Heh! smile

I replied to:-
In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
I've never had problems with XP's settings.
not the corruption question.

I would venture to say that when XP was mainstream most speed problems we dealt with on these forums were a problem with the XP settings.

As I am still the only person to have responded to the current issue, it was worth my post for the benefit of the poster who has an XP problem. The general tone of your and BatBoy's posts was that XP settings were not what was possibly causing the poster's problem with intermittent Infinity failure.

Squabbling unconnected with that about something to do with a 2012 post is not something I'm interested it. So no need to get personal, thank you frown.

Standard User eckiedoo
(committed) Tue 22-Jul-14 16:34:15
Print Post

[re: Rastus] [link to this post]

Thanks, didn't notice that!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 22-Jul-14 17:46:06
Print Post

Those settings I referred to within context were those in the Registry which were being said to be spontaneously corrupted.

Pendant if you can't read 'settings' for 'entries' or not flexible enough to cope with the vagaries of English.

Good for you! Then perhaps best you reply to poster you are aiming at and not me on a diff tack to yours.

Blah, blah, blah ......

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 23-Jul-14 08:32:17
Print Post

I'm talking about a number of new installs on VM's and PC's unable to stomach Win 8.

______________________________________________________________________________________False_Authority_Syndrome__________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to