User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Sat 28-Jan-12 15:00:26
Print Post

Infinity modem Lan 2

[link to this post]

Upgraded yesterday. Several questions, so bear with me please!
I'm interested about the Lan 2 port on the modem. Mine has a sticker over it saying not in use, so what's it for?
If I connect to the gigabit port on the router do I need to tweak anything on my lappy to make it connect at the faster speed (the engineer who came said he thought so)?
I have upgraded my NIC driver to the latest version but it still says the connection is 100Mb/s when I go into 'properties'. My card is gigabit compliant, allegedly.
Is it best to let the hub choose the wireless channel or do you usually set your own? Mine seems stuck on 6 and there are about 5 networks locally using that! Speed not too bad (25Mb/s plus) so I shouldn't complain.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity
Standard User Brugie
(learned) Sat 28-Jan-12 15:27:05
Print Post

Re: Infinity modem Lan 2

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

Mine is also only connecting to my Billion 7800N router at 100Mbps, I would say the chip in the modem is only 10/100 compliant, hense it's maximum connection rate
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jan-12 15:46:26
Print Post

I'm interested about the Lan 2 port on the modem.

It does nowt, it's disabled. I believe it has a use if you wish to hack the modem to see it's line stats.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Sun 29-Jan-12 16:32:06
Print Post

Gigabit to Gigabit port - hust make sure your cables are of good enough quality and that the are no settings that force either port to run at 100Mb. My Gbit cards can be set to 100Mb or 10Mb if I wish.

Get a copy of inSSIDer and that will show all channels around you. Try yo select a channel 4 or 5 away from the congested regions ... so with 6 go to Ch 2 or up to 10 ... if there are blocks of users on 1, 6 and 11 then eith choose one in between them or go right up to 13.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
  Print Thread

Jump to