User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Wed 01-Feb-12 13:16:38
Print Post

BT Business e-mail failure

[link to this post]

On 30 & 31 January, there was an almost complete failure for around 4-hours from 10:00 of the receipt of BT Business e-mails. Problem was the Server couldn't be seen (error Code 0x800CCC92).

They all started coming back spasmodically around 12:15, some being sent twice. It was finally fixed at 14:50.

It's all been fine so far today (1 February).

Was doing my head in as Outlook kept asking for password and not recognising it.

Finally found the Service Outage notification at BT (was well hidden, though).

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.

Edited by G3UZF (Wed 01-Feb-12 13:22:48)

Standard User Daniel_g
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 13:54:33
Print Post

Re: BT Business e-mail failure

[re: G3UZF] [link to this post]

Anything to do with this, I have had outlook playing up and coming up with the password and username box on the refresh cycle.

Usefull then when relying on it working and the email noise it what is used most of the time as a checks every 10 minutes. No good it it is not. Not the computer we all guessed in the end and people did various things.

I guessed it was not yahoo being a plus account for $19.99, did all this homwwork on the american site. Paid my money on paypal to upgrade and got rid of 1 day later as it still not not work. Looks like yahoo ( that home BT internet uses) can not be popped to an email client. Cancelled anyway and now weeks on money never been taken, just shows up on paypal as pending and an expiry of 10th Feb I hope comes and goes and money not taken, wrote to yahoo and paypal and had boring generic emails about problems back anf yahoo gave a link to a web site that did not work, gave up. Not worth the hours it had, and the shouting and banging the table!.

Not relevent to BT buisiness but a good read.
I dropped the bt email but still got it checking on microsoft outlook for people or things I forgeot about and goes now .
BT yahoo does the pop thing to email client so never was what I thought anyway.

What is the web page you got the problem status from. Might have helped us before if we all use the same kit somewher, Normal home accounts and buisiness.

On about this forum, thread (is the correct term?).

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/windows/f/4080444-o...
Standard User G3UZF
(committed) Wed 01-Feb-12 14:16:40
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Daniel_g

I tried to get a link in my post to the BT Fault Report, but although it currently reports the problem, it doesn't let you Drill-Down on the actual problem (me thinks they remove this for Closed Faults, but that's only me guessing).

Here's a link, for what it's worth http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/service_status
Scroll Down to Email & Hosting.

The BT e-mail facility has been very reliable apart for the incidents I reported.

My Outlook polls every 2-minutes, so you can imagine the pain of the Error Modal popping up (no Pun intended) with a POP3 and password failure every 2-Minutes!

Fortunately I had the presence of mind to refrain from trying to change anything.

Yes, the Forum Link you post does seem to be a remarkably similar road to walk down.

Allergy Advice: This post may contain traces of Meerkats.

Edited by G3UZF (Wed 01-Feb-12 14:24:29)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 01-Feb-12 14:42:39
Print Post

Mine was fine all day yesterday and Monday. There was one occurrence this morning where it failed to find one server but that was all.

I actually poll 4 different email addresses on BT business from this PC and two from another. So it must have been just one of their many servers. I do know that mine are hosted on separate servers within the BT network.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Daniel_g
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 14:46:50
Print Post

Nice one. A few hours, ok 4 ish and maybe not the next day. Our home BT given email was playing me up on and off for months.

I tried changing something. The email.
Could not be bothered with it all but to be fair has sorted it's self out. Still spent hours changing so not doing it again letting people know and so many accounts to be changed on my account settings of this and that, ebay, bank ,paypal. On and on it goes of things I sign up to over the years.

Might keep that BT page as a favourite.

Not sure what we had would have been on there. Not a day thing but ages.

Off to good old gmail that gets pushed to the phone so better anyway. No refresh cycle on the android phone like the manually set up BT email on the phones email client.

Computers, hours of fun!. NOT
Standard User DLS
(learned) Wed 01-Feb-12 16:40:30
Print Post

I have BT Infinity for business with the basic POP-based mail service (BTconnect). In recent weeks I've seen a number of disconnections from my Mac OS mail client where the password is requested because the one held in the keychain is not recognised. Typing it in again manually usually works fine, but on several occasions the correct username/password was not accepted for for at least several minutes. One one occasion this was in the early hours, so I put it down to maintenance.

This happened a few times at the weekend (29/30th), but on the 31st, there was only on reconnection and that was immediate.

The same mail client connects to three other mail services without any problem.

I don't use the BT Connect mail for anything serious so I haven't pursued this. I'm very happy with the broadband service but the basic mail offering seems to be somewhat weak (e.g., difficulty in using their SMTP servers from other networks; having to phone support to change password).
Standard User Daniel_g
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 16:54:07
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

Anoyed me for months, just me then.

Have you tried 587 for the outgoing server setting.

When I tried to to send email when connected to 3 mobile using phone as a hotspot it would not send, does on 587.

Just a thought.
Standard User DLS
(learned) Wed 01-Feb-12 17:33:13
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
Have you tried 587 for the outgoing server setting.

When I tried to to send email when connected to 3 mobile using phone as a hotspot it would not send, does on 587.

I tried that a few weeks ago having seen it suggested (by you perhaps?) somewhere else. It didn't seem to work at the time so I abandoned it for outbound, but having just checked (it was already set-up on my iPhone/Vodafone) it appears to be working, so Thankyou!
Standard User Daniel_g
(regular) Wed 01-Feb-12 17:59:53
Print Post

Job done.
Nice.

Did not come from me I don't think but I work this out from somewhere at the time last May time when signed a 24 month conteact with 3 then found out, googling, forums that they dont alow email on the system.

Usefull then, don't tell you that when they expect £27 month from you!.

I found the get around my the 587 port by sitting infront of the computer working it out by what people said.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Wed 01-Feb-12 18:39:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by DLS:
having to phone support to change password

Why?

Do it yourself!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit