User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Golfing
(learned) Mon 06-Feb-12 14:07:53
Print Post

Would using say Mullvad at 5 Euros per month get around BT's

[link to this post]

Would using say Mullvad at 5 Euros per month get around BT's peak time throttling of p2p?

Just signed up for BT Infiniti 2 but now am a little concerned about their peak time usage policy

Thanks in advance...
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 06-Feb-12 17:05:36
Print Post

Re: Would using say Mullvad at 5 Euros per month get around

[re: Golfing] [link to this post]

Cheaper to just set up your client software right and not have to worry at all.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User Golfing
(learned) Mon 06-Feb-12 20:07:52
Print Post

And how would i go about doing that please?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User stubert
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 17:10:45
Print Post

What client are you using???

If using Utorrent just put protocol encryption to forced.....
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 07-Feb-12 18:13:13
Print Post

[re: stubert] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by stubert:

If only things where that simple , the only way to circumvent traffic shaping is by using a SSL link, usually in the form of a VPN service that allows P2P down &uploading, this also more importantly hides you IP address from those nasty con men (law firms) AKA andrew crossley and their predecessors , so you don't end up with letters demanding hundreds of pounds to make it go away

Alternatives are set the client sw to run outside peak times, and use only private trackers ,you will probably have to register with these first, and also be expected to seed back at least what you download, unless you choose to make a donation (payment ) to them, using a private tracker is more secure than using the likes of the pirate bay, but there is no guarantee that the tracker hasn't been infiltrated by your anti piracy police , or better still don't use p2p,

Standard User stubert
(newbie) Tue 07-Feb-12 20:43:39
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Ive had infinity for a few months now and have used this method and all works fine. As long as the seeds are there I have always gone at full speed at whatever time of day.
Personally I would not use anything other than a private tracker for the reasons you say, but you will have to register to these which can sometimes be difficult due to member limitations.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Feb-12 11:56:56
Print Post

In reply to a post by tommy45:

If only things where that simple , the only way to circumvent traffic shaping is by using a SSL link, usually in the form of a VPN service that allows P2P down &uploading, this also more importantly hides you IP address from those nasty con men (law firms) AKA andrew crossley and their predecessors , so you don't end up with letters demanding hundreds of pounds to make it go away

Alternatives are set the client sw to run outside peak times, and use only private trackers ,you will probably have to register with these first, and also be expected to seed back at least what you download, unless you choose to make a donation (payment ) to them, using a private tracker is more secure than using the likes of the pirate bay, but there is no guarantee that the tracker hasn't been infiltrated by your anti piracy police , or better still don't use p2p,

This is all completely false.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Feb-12 12:44:12
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by orly:
In reply to a post by tommy45:

This is all completely false.

What is false exactly, care to enlighten us all ?

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 08-Feb-12 13:33:43
Print Post

[re: stubert] [link to this post]

Ive had infinity for a few months now and have used this method and all works fine. As long as the seeds are there I have always gone at full speed at whatever time of day.
Personally I would not use anything other than a private tracker for the reasons you say, but you will have to register to these which can sometimes be difficult due to member limitations.
When you say that you have used this method and it works fine
Did you mean set the protocol to encrypted and this alone?

if that is the case then something on their part isn't configured correctly, ,or isn't working correctly, unless it works differently to all other traffic shaping used by other isp's who implement it

As with plenty of other isp's who throttle p2p it's very clear that this has no effect on speeds even bt's adsl it has no effect,

Standard User stubert
(newbie) Wed 08-Feb-12 16:44:16
Print Post

Yes, When I was on Sky LLU this was never a problem. Since having Infinity all I have altered on Utorrent is set the outgoing protocol encryption to forced. I also have "allow incoming legacy connections" ticked but cannot remember if this was already in place before migrating?

As I have said this has worked for me perfectly and have hit speeds of over 4MB/s at any time of the day.

My Broadband Speed Test
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to