User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User db7
(member) Tue 07-Feb-12 15:30:17
Print Post

Why upgrade Home Hub ?

[link to this post]

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc... has a link to upgrade to the latest BT Home Hub.

I already have a Home Hub, anyone know what benefit I would get out of spending the £49 for this upgrade?

*edit*: Just noticed they have removed BBTalk support (not that I use it at the moment); so I'm even more confused. The only value seems to be "smaller" / "lower power consumption".

thanks,

Edited by db7 (Tue 07-Feb-12 15:56:47)

Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-12 15:02:37
Print Post

Re: Why upgrade Home Hub ?

[re: db7] [link to this post]

Yes I noticed that, the only benefits I can see is you won't have to carry as much money around.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Wed 08-Feb-12 16:10:31
Print Post

Does the old one change channel on it's own to avoid the neighbours routers. It makes it better they say, makes sense, I have one as joined in may so don't know about the old ones apart from the telly adverts, old ones had the cordless phone on them, say you have used that so not worth changing I guess.

The new one can have a memory device, guess external Hard disk but I use a memory stick as it has a usb hole on the back and that shows up on network when doing start button and then all the choices of documents, computer, control panel, help support and all that, Network on there brings up the box with the usb memory device so an external memory any computer in the house could use as shard storage, I only have 1 computer and put emails and smal things on it that can't be lost likle holiday reciept emails. A feature I guess if you would use but why change what works!.

It can have power save and set a time the wireless shuts down, at night in bed. The internet connection stays and computers on the wired ports are good soshuts down wireless part, power saving, guess so and less electronic magnetic fields going into your body if router is in bedroom for some reason. Is there but not used as more hassle than it is worth as like the phone on at some daft time of the morning checking email.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shtu
(experienced) Wed 08-Feb-12 16:18:04
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
Does the old one change channel on it's own to avoid the neighbours routers.

No, just spend 30 minutes doing it (once) yourself, probably to 1 or 6.

The new one can have a memory device, guess external Hard disk but I use a memory stick as it has a usb hole on the back and that shows up on network

The old ones (v1 and v2) can do this, though it's not supported.

It can have power save and set a time the wireless shuts down, at night in bed.

The v2 ones have this feature, and if you're especially worried about the em radiation of the wireless part, I have the solution.

http://www.baco.co.uk/images/products/01352-BacoFoil...

Fashion a natty hat out of it. wink

More seriously, if the existing one works for the OP, don't spend £50 to change it.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Wed 08-Feb-12 16:25:59
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

nice one.

did not know about the earlier version.
Just thought I would throw in a few clever bits of this one.
The memory stick there showing up on the computer but not plugged into is nice, but being a bit lazy I will hear people say I guess.

Can file share between computer I know but have to be on so this might have had its use.

Guessing the link was something funny but did not work, might be me. To many pages are not working lately, them not existing or BT dns rubbish, one or the other I guess.

Will try again later or try a shorter version of it and find what you had in mind.

Useless computer, link going now. Foil on my head. nice. The thing is far enough in a cupboard not to bother me but routers in the bedroom or mobiles left on doing the data thing all night checking what ever like mine does, not good year after year.
Read that somewhere, don't have smart phone by the bed when asleep. must be something in it.

I don't apart from maybe early when caroline gets up and me 1 /1/2 hours later. She is out the door 5.30 keen!

Edited by Daniel_g (Wed 08-Feb-12 16:29:15)

Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Wed 08-Feb-12 16:30:42
Print Post

[re: shtu] [link to this post]

looks expensive. Would tesco value do!.

Working link now so not them, is it me or BT, useless web pages. Another story.
And I know about open dns so one to try if it really annoys me.
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Wed 08-Feb-12 18:53:40
Print Post

BT recently had a smack from the ASA over their claim that the Hub 3 is the only router to avoid interference, when all routers will in auto mode.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/2027/plusnetspeed.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Wed 08-Feb-12 19:07:24
Print Post

[re: m0aur] [link to this post]

Have had questions on here before like the opening one and I said it jumps channel like others do but BT bang on about it. I thought it was being a bit rude to other makes of router, wireless point that does. The old version 1 o2 box from 2007 did auto mode and the other router I have as linked up both does as well. I thought nothing new or just them, read an article about the bolloc**** they had.

And still run the advert.
all good stuff.

Maybe it is based on standard supplied routers. Can alway buy one even better than the hh.

My other one does loads more, never ending settings, can be a media server and can access this on the internet with you ip address, hh3, no chance.

Back to watching home and away.
heard the email arrive
Standard User db7
(member) Thu 16-Feb-12 22:01:08
Print Post

Thanks for the comments.

I think I'll hang onto my £49 and stick with my HH2.
Standard User MrGrumpy
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Feb-12 10:39:19
Print Post

better investing your money in another router other than a HH if you don`t get on with it smile The HH in my experience is terrible, locks up frequently! Went back to it again out of curiosity and determined to make it work on my home network but failed miserably frown

Regards

MrG

Remember: Amateurs...built the ark.
Professionals...built the Titanic

All spelling and grammatical errors are left in on purpose
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to