User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gsoper
(learned) Tue 07-Feb-12 20:36:01
Print Post

BT Infinity modem location

[link to this post]

I'm considering BT Infinity and am considering how the installation will be located. The master socket is on a wall in the hall but there's a cupboard a couple of metres away where I currently have my network kit. From the master socket into the cupboard would need a little under 3 metres of cable. Would this mean the modem and router can both be sited in the cupboard or does the master socket to modem cable have to be shorter than that?

Thanks,
Geoff
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Tue 07-Feb-12 21:08:49
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity modem location

[re: gsoper] [link to this post]

I don't think the phone line cable is that long. Mine is not many feet from the master socket but has maybe 3 feet run as done neetly and a bit to spare with a cable tie.

looks like a normal modem lead but the same sort of thing at both ends, not a normal white telephone plug at one end. You know the sort of thing. If a longer lead can be used, who knows as easy to buy.

like this. ok 7 m but 1st one on the search!. say us plug but that sort of thing like on the normal modem I guess.
3m one, what they cost might be worth getting and let the bt guy try.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7M-Meter-RJ11-Port-Cable-L...
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 07-Feb-12 21:28:28
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

2.5 If as part of its Order installation details the Communications Provider requests provision of the GEA-FTTC
Home Wiring Solution, the BT engineer, on agreement with the End User, will provide either:
(a) an internal data extension kit: or
(b) an external data extension kit
as further described in the Handbook. Alternatively, the BT engineer may, at BTís discretion, relocate the End
Userís current NTP provided that it is up to a maximum of one hourís work from the time the BT engineer
commences

Internal Data Extension kits means modem can be up to 30m from master socket. So a few metres is no problem.

On that ebay item, avoid like the plague 7m of untwisted pair running into a comms cupboard is asking for potential problems.

http://www.cabling4less.co.uk/category.php?cat_id=23... looks to be twisted pair cable (round profile)

Male/male twisted Pair RJ11 Cable

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Tue 07-Feb-12 21:32:29
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

As Mr S says, speak nicely to Mr. OR engineer and he will run an extension for you free. All part of the service, and very good it is.

Cheers,

Rob

PS My Infinity problems over the last few days were in fact due a deeper issue on the network and once resolved everything is brilliant. Just needed people to report the problems and it soon got fixed. Speeds just fantastic.

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Wed 08-Feb-12 05:54:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

First lead i found with the correct plugs!. Even i would not use that cheap thing. I know socket can be moved but 2m a nice quality lead would have done as only 3m. Was my thinking. Nasty ebay lead was for the plugs. I moved the master socket when moving here 5 months before getting this the week we all could so bloke came in and did the new filter front and quick job. Old gersion modem.said it needs to he wall mounted but he did not so got the drill out later when he was gone. Got my stuff in a cupboard and wired to a 2nd router i was using before on o2 so 2 routers, mine as eual band so nicer than bt one.
  Print Thread

Jump to