User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 09-Feb-12 19:29:30
Print Post

Re: Thinking of Infinity

[re: CarrieLaw] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by CarrieLaw:
... then I use Devolo Homeplugs to take it to power sockets around the house ....
Ummm.

What speed Devolos? From other posts it seems on FTTC that even 200Mbps ones can struggle. Anything lower, like 85Mbps ones, just aren't fast enough.

I assume they will work, just nowhere near full FTTC speed.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User CarrieLaw
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 19:47:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
This second line you had, did it have a master in the study? If so, how did the incoming line get to it? Using the built-in house wiring, or with a wire round the outside of the house?

However it was done, it looks like being the answer.

It was done 10 years ago when I moved in and I can't honestly remember. BT just turned up and put a new line in specifically for internet but as there is no wiring on the outside of the house, they must have used the internal wiring.

Edited by CarrieLaw (Thu 09-Feb-12 19:56:52)

Standard User CarrieLaw
(newbie) Thu 09-Feb-12 19:55:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by CarrieLaw:
... then I use Devolo Homeplugs to take it to power sockets around the house ....
Ummm.

What speed Devolos? From other posts it seems on FTTC that even 200Mbps ones can struggle. Anything lower, like 85Mbps ones, just aren't fast enough.

I assume they will work, just nowhere near full FTTC speed.

They are the 200 Mbps ones.

At the moment, my set up is:

Upstairs:
Study/Office: Netgear ADSL wifi router, 4 ethernet feeds to main Mac computer, printer, Time Capsule, and to Homeplug, all in the same room.
Main Bedroom: Apple TV running off an ethernet Homeplug to network

Downstairs:
Living room: Mac Mini acting as a media centre for movies and tv shows, connected to network via ethernet HomePlug
B&W speaker system with iPod Touch connected to network via wifi, streaming from iTunes Match or Spotify

Laptop in use in living room sometimes via Wifi and sometimes via Ethernet Homeplug

iPad and iPhones connect via Wifi all the time

Wifi round here does get very congested, hence the Homeplugs. Sometimes I am ok on wifi, sometimes not.

It's not the end of the world if I can't use the Homeplugs really. I can juggle the wifi. It's just that I've always presumed a wired connection is better, even if via a Homeplug.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MHC
(legend) Thu 09-Feb-12 23:08:00
Print Post

From your comments, I do believe that, as I suggested earlier, moving the master will be the best option - provided you believe the cost is worthwhile. Have it installed in place of the slave in your study and they the internal wiring to run any extension phones you require. You will have a nice clean install, minimal internal wiring and all of your technology in one place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Thu 09-Feb-12 23:21:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

But as I said in my post. My NTE master was in the lounge, and an extension was hard wired to the kitchen and then from there up to the bedroom.

So, the OR engineer simply removed the NTE master, linked the wiring coming into it from outside to the kitchen extension wiring (originally done by BT), and then put the the NEW master there + modem + HH3, and still had the extension wiring running upstairs.

This looks like the same can be done here .... remove NTE master in the kitchen and connect the incoming wiring to the extension to the study and install the new master there.

Depending on how the other extension wiring was done, they may or may not be able to be used ...

Depends how nice the OR personage is and if he/she is willing to go that extra mile, which for telephone wiring, is not that much, given that it looks like most if not all the wiring is in place.

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Feb-12 00:15:12
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

It very much depends what type and quality of internal cabling the builder installed. It seems to be the case that even BT-installed extensions are rarely suitable for carrying the VDSL2 signal to a repositioned master.

If it were, the whole concept of the Data Extension Cable becomes suspect.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Feb-12 00:22:11
Print Post

Are the two sockets in the study different? One with the bottom half removable by undoing two screws, and the other a single piece faceplate?

If so there may be a way.

Edit - Ummm frown. Reading back it doesn't seem so.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 10-Feb-12 00:25:32)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Fri 10-Feb-12 01:06:34
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

And you will end up with both pre and post master signal running through the same cable to other extensions which is an unacceptable practice. BT Techs are trained NOT to do that.

Also, there will be an unfiltered connection right next to the microwave which is a potential source of additional in band noise.

You may wish to have a non-standard installation but my advice is to go for a repositioned master with minimal in house wiring.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User CarrieLaw
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 07:29:59
Print Post

Are the two sockets in the study different? One with the bottom half removable by undoing two screws, and the other a single piece faceplate?

If so there may be a way.

Edit - Ummm frown. Reading back it doesn't seem so.

Sadly no. There is one faceplate in the study with two sockets.

I think that from reading everyone's kind comments, to be on the safe side and not end up with the risk of extension cabling going up the side of the staircase on Infinity installation day, I am going to have to get the Master Socket moved upstairs before ordering Infinity. Yes, the Infinity installation engineer might be able to run an external cable outside the house to the study, but he might not. He might be able to swap over the master sockets, he might not. Am I correct?

If so I'll contact a telephone engineer or BT Openreach and find out how much it will cost to move the master socket.

It does seem that it will be worth it though - Infinity seems a worthwhile upgrade? I haven't yet had anyone come on and say don't do it!

Edited by CarrieLaw (Fri 10-Feb-12 07:31:54)

Standard User CarrieLaw
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 12:24:03
Print Post

Looks like I'm getting the master socket moved next week. Cable will be run round outside of house and straight into study, new master socket fitted, then other house extension points will be connected to that. Seems the simplest and neatest option, and far less worrying on Infinity installation day knowing that the cabling is already in place!

Once that has been done next week, I will go onto BT website and order Infinity. Anyone know how long it takes from order to installation, or does that depend on the area? Do I need to get a MAC code from O2 Broadband? My line rental is currently still with BT, only the broadband comes via O2/BE LLU.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to