User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Fri 10-Feb-12 15:09:04
Print Post

Re: Thinking of Infinity

[re: CarrieLaw] [link to this post]

had a thought.

having a nice strong signal to the computer as the good wireless N, HH gives this and also using the 2nd router linked to the home hub and that through the homeplugs as different rooms and HH3 by phone socket in a cupboard out the way. not ideal but not used on wireless for computer, printer and phone use it ok. 2nd slave router is a dual band so better as you thing 15 people around you is bad, I have had 20ish before now the computer was picking up sat near lounge window. Flat complex so many nearby people.

just done
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1764387741.png

BT router.

and speedtest on phone logging onto the same thing(nothing else going so 1 at a time), setting on phone wifi page say 72Mbs as stood not 3m from the router and gets 9.1Mb down but the full up at 1.8 so you might find the phones top out way short of the computer speed.
New phone on wirless N. sister old iphone 3g is only upto 54Mb wireless and that takes a sped drop. never does the same as mine and running same sppedtest app, but me on the android phone. Still same server I think and ame router.

If you find the phones slow if you get a good 30 something speed on computer, might be normal, or just me. Or one never gone over 10, stood there by router.

Just a though if you find or me speaking rubbish, might be me but computer goes a goodun!.
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-12 16:14:15
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Thanks re photos!

Used S5100, then upgraded to S5600 (which is still a stonking good little camera), and then to the HS-10 (of course the HS20 and HS30 came out afterwards). But, I like the HS-10, nice 30X zoom on it, and I find I can use my Raynox 1.54x lens on the front, to give me an 1100mm equivalent long lens, (or 46X zoom !!! ). The swan was taken using this from a long way away! You can pick up an HS-10 dead cheap these days.

In the end I try to take pics so they are good "straight out of camera" (SOOC), with no cropping, straightening or photoshopping whatchamaycallits! Sort of a left over from my 35mm film days.

Anyways, housework done ... files backed up - time to upload a few photos I think.

All the best with the install - I'm sure it will go well. probably better to get in quick as there are a limited number of fibre connections in the new boxes. Basically not ALL phone lines which go to the old green box can be crossed linked to the fibre. In my cab there's only 144, and there's a lot more than 144 homes served by the cabinet.

I do wonder what the process will be when customer 145 asks for his Infinity?? And I suspect it won't long because most people on the cab are 1-3 megs maximum at present - it's a 51db drop back to the exchange on the old copper before you add in the loss from the cabinet to your house - and these lines are the aluminium ones, which add lots of noise on top of 7-9db drop in signal as well.

Cheers,

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Fri 10-Feb-12 17:10:21
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

hello

nice camera as just looked. full HD video, mine does the 720hd but looks ok on the telly, yours even nicer then.

I like a small camera that turns on, if a bit slow what I have and just goes.

Caroline is a bit more keen and tries to do close ups on auto, most flower shots (obsested) don't work so never ending rubbish to wipe off.

Use macro and a fighting chance but does not learn,

Always said noce to get something like that years ago but then a pain on a day out as not going into a small camera case around the neck!.

Got the 3d one now for money point and shoot stuff.

Close up stuff like flower heads with the stalks and greenery behind I have learn't to spin the wheel round to the macro 3d setting of some sort. Take 1 photo, shows up lighter on the display and then again offsetting the camera to give a double image and camera does the processing and clever 3d stuff. good on the telly.

auto close up rubbish and anything less than 1.6m to close.
have to compose shots a bit more now and need a close forground, middle and back really for 3d depth.

Dad did the camera thing with the lenses and film slr from 84 to selling it to generate money for the high8 camcorder in 91. £1000 in those days for the best comsumer format. VHSc, I don't think so. Showing age now. Only had 3 video cameras and the newest was last year. 10 years each, moneys worth. Wander how long this point and shoot 3d thing will last.

Gort the BT infinity in may and runs at the 37.5 so nice. Can do 67 or so the unlocked mondem says. Not paying for upgrade soon when it comes as get the mention here on this site. only have 1 computer so fine for years I guess. Like we all said with 2Mbs in 2004sih.

always moving on and fibre to our homes.
Was the story on here about some places being done and the big village 4 miles away was one.

Phone line made of wire, so last year!.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Fri 10-Feb-12 17:29:42
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Agree, the better cameras with decent lenses are much bigger. The HS-10 is the size of an SLR. The HS-20/HS-30 have the better CCD devices and also have remote shutter releases as well - set up camera looking at bird table - press wireless button to shoot when birdy comes by! I do this by just sitting and waiting, set the camera to do multiple frames (about 7 per second), and just fire it off when the time's right!

However, I did like the XP-20 I tested for Fuji. Pocket size, but waterproof, freezeproof (good at the moment!), shockproof etc - simple select shooting mode from wheel (about 30 of them!). From snowboarding action shots to dreamy sunsets!

A test I saw put it into HD video rcording, dropped it, kicked it in to a river, fished it out and replayed the video! Whole event recorded on another camera, so you could see the resultiung video was not fake!

And, why did they just feature the Nikon one which does this (at 3 times the price) on one of these "must have gadets" shows. The Fuji has been around a while.

My first picture with my HS-10 was this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robsphotos2007/4717249845/

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Fri 10-Feb-12 19:09:06
Print Post

Wireless camera, getting posh.

Gadget show then, Was one they bit daft tests with rugged ones last year so that I guess.

Caroline looking at the sun paper she picked up as a cast off at work today.

Whats got the beeter picture of a nice looking bird, your first photo or the paper.

Nice owl.

I get boring views or me looking pained when on a walk.

All good stuff.
Standard User CarrieLaw
(newbie) Fri 10-Feb-12 19:22:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobFlet:
All the best with the install - I'm sure it will go well. probably better to get in quick as there are a limited number of fibre connections in the new boxes. Basically not ALL phone lines which go to the old green box can be crossed linked to the fibre. In my cab there's only 144, and there's a lot more than 144 homes served by the cabinet.

I do wonder what the process will be when customer 145 asks for his Infinity?? And I suspect it won't long because most people on the cab are 1-3 megs maximum at present - it's a 51db drop back to the exchange on the old copper before you add in the loss from the cabinet to your house - and these lines are the aluminium ones, which add lots of noise on top of 7-9db drop in signal as well.

Cheers,

Rob

Hmmmm I hadn't realised that there was a limited number of fibre connections in each box. I guess I'd better get my order in quickly then, before Sky launch their cheap £20 per month FTTC service and the hoardes descend on it! smile

I've requested my MAC code from O2, so I just hope O2 don't cut my internet off before BT have come to install Infinity. I always worry that these transfers will go horribly wrong. I did make it clear to O2 in my email to them that for now I just want the MAC code in preparation for migration and that I wasn't giving 7 days notice of end of contract, so fingers crossed.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-Feb-12 22:47:58
Print Post

The standard cabinet has space for 288 connections, but only set up for 100 initially. Takeup generally has been poor.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 10-Feb-12 22:48:29)

Standard User CarrieLaw
(newbie) Sat 11-Feb-12 08:26:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm really surprised to hear that takeup has been poor of Infinity. Is this because folk like me are very very wary of BT's customer service and Indian call centre problems? Or because of the cost? Or (again a little like me) half think "my current broadband isn't top speed but it works, and if it isn't broken, don't fix it!"

I do expect an awful lot of new FTTC connections via Sky's new service in April though. Many folk appear to be waiting for that as it is only going to be £20 per month. I've decided against that as being totally unlimited without traffic shaping, it is going to attract the leechers and speeds may drop considerably? Also I don't really want to get tied in that deep with Sky, as they take over your telephone line too and I gather it's more difficult to migrate away. I've already experienced Sky's hard sell 2 weeks ago when I tried to cancel my Sky tv package and was pressed to accept 1 year's free ADSL internet and free line rental if I stayed with them. In the end I decided against it, again for the reasons above.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 11-Feb-12 11:26:23
Print Post

In reply to a post by CarrieLaw:
I'm really surprised to hear that takeup has been poor of Infinity. Is this because folk like me are very very wary of BT's customer service and Indian call centre problems? Or because of the cost? Or (again a little like me) half think "my current broadband isn't top speed but it works, and if it isn't broken, don't fix it!"
Hard to say, but it gets reported frequently. It isn't just Infinity, it's Openreach FTTC in general. Though BT Infinity has by far the highest takeup due to price.

Given that, why have they recently dropped the price to the same as ADSLx? It clearly wasn't selling on desirability, and I'm sure they won't have done it out of the goodness of their hearts.
I do expect an awful lot of new FTTC connections via Sky's new service in April though. Many folk appear to be waiting for that as it is only going to be £20 per month.
Probably.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RandomJointer
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 11-Feb-12 12:44:41
Print Post

>>I'm really surprised to hear that takeup has been poor of Infinity

It hasn't.

BT Group Q3 results reported BT Infinity alone added 95k customers in the quarter.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to