User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gooseboote
(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-12 20:24:00
Print Post

home hub problem

[link to this post]

The homehub we use at home has been running OK for a couple of years. It's the curvy black one, which I think is v2?

About a week ago, for no known reason, there were no lights on at all. Have checked mains fuses, tried reset button, unplugging/reconnecting, and checked the mains socket as OK by connecting a lamp. The voice line works OK when connected directly. I can't find a fuse on the homehub itself.
Is there one?

I have even laboriously shifted all the kit to use a mains socket near the bt master socket, changing microfilters and removing the accelerator.

A guy on BT's own user forum quite rightly suggested using a new mains transformer cable, so I've had an abortive go with one bought from Maplin. Now having to use someone else's set up.

In a last ditch attempt to avoid going through all the hassle of talking to someone in the subcontinent, I'd be glad of any suggestions! I see that some of you have managed to make direct contact with btcare!.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Sun 12-Feb-12 20:39:03
Print Post

Re: home hub problem

[re: gooseboote] [link to this post]

Dont what I would have tried but with a multimeter would have checked if the power supply was giving out the 12V (HH3 is so guess similar), says on the power supply and measure and see if it goes, You bought a new one so if that and not the router pulling to much power, just a bad psu when should sort it. Best thing to try. still just buying a new one from an expensive shop as maplin is for that sort of stuff, might have been a mistake, hopefully not as if that then onto a winner.

power supplies. ebay always a goodun. £5 would have got one. Maybe what you got was but when looking for stuff like that always seems a rip off.

disco light and gadgets, good, we have a maplin shop in oxford, disco stuff stuff christmas, nice stuff. PSU, I would not!.

Maybe an internal fuse inside. matter of taking it apart. Can you get hold of a multimeter. Can check the PSU and some internal fusing if there is some. A least go across the part of the board with the power rails on but if not into that stuff then maybe not a good idea.

I would go for the psu being a good bet some money well spent I would think.
Say what it was when going.
multimeter, done electronics mending and used to test electrics, has it's use.
Standard User gooseboote
(newbie) Sun 12-Feb-12 20:47:20
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

Cheers. Yes, someone suggested trying a line test. I tried to used my ancient analog multimeter but found it too difficult to get the probes into the tiny little circular plug which goes into the homehub, and therefore decided to buy the replacement lead. It didn't do the biz but fortunately was quite cheap.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User gooseboote
(newbie) Tue 14-Feb-12 19:53:53
Print Post

Tried a borrowed cable, just in case the one I bought was faulty in some way, but still no sign of life.

If, as it now seems, it is the homehub itself which has given up on me, then its really mega-annoying because, after some soul searching, I've only just (like two weeks ago) renewed my bt internet contract . Grrr ...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Feb-12 20:15:37
Print Post

Don't they just replace it?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Wed 15-Feb-12 18:47:47
Print Post

Phone up BT and ask for a replacement; just explain your situation.

Ian
Standard User gooseboote
(newbie) Thu 16-Feb-12 16:59:17
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks folks. I'll try that. It looks as if it could save me anything between £25 and £100, depending on whether i went for HH2 or HH3, s/h or new.
  Print Thread

Jump to