User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User g6phf
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-12 16:35:59
Print Post

Infinity Business or Residential?

[link to this post]

Hi,
I'm unsure which service to go for. I use broadband from home for my business a lot, as do the kids! We currently average about 250GB per month.

I have a residential line in the house but have been told by BT Business I can have the
infinity business service on the res line!?

I cant find any other ISP that will offer an unlimited plan with FTTC which will not cost hundreds of pounds, unless you know better?

So I am wondering if I should go down the BT Infinity road?!

It seems the business plan is more expensive but from what I can gather it has now throttling and is truly unlimited?
The residential version has some traffic control?

Any advice before I tie myself in to some loooong 24 month contract!

Thanks
Mike
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 13-Feb-12 17:49:08
Print Post

Re: Infinity Business or Residential?

[re: g6phf] [link to this post]

I assume you mean "no throttling"?

MHC has the setup you are considering, and will no doubt answer the question next time he's here smile. I reckon I'd go for it. You won't find anything else as cost-effective.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 13-Feb-12 18:18:02
Print Post

No throttling that I see ... I don't tend to use file sharing and no one else does either but there are quite a few med/large downloads at times.

Recently, during an evening, we were using BBC iPlayer for an HD programme direct to the TV, my niece was using 4oD to stream to an iPad, another PC accessing another broadcast video stream. And with browsing, VOIP and email to handsets everything was running fine.

At a guess we run to anywhere from 150 to 250GB/month.

Yes, it is a little extra but worth it for UK support and a faster fault resolution time. Static IP is free too.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User g6phf
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-12 18:30:42
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Thanks MHC, so your are on a standard residential line I guess?

I think I was quoted £35+vat which was for a 24 month, unlimited contract.
They told me it was an extra £5 per month for a static IP, which I would like but not
sure I can justify an extra £5. Did you manage to get yours included?

Or perhaps it comes with one anyway, which is what I thought, and if you want extra IP's, they are £5?
Standard User DLS
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-12 18:41:50
Print Post

Similar situation to me; my wife and I both depend on this for work as well as domestic use, so we have the Infinity business service on the residential line, following four years on a BT domestic broadband service. Previously I'd been a Pipex customer for dial-up and ADSL since the UUNet days. I know that many people have had issues with BT, but my experience has been pretty good.

I ordered option 2 (Advance Support, with unlimited download) and a block of IP addresses (five or eight addresses, depending on how you use them). Installed last October and very happy with it so far.

The basic POP-based mail system (BT Connect) isn't exactly what I'd call Enterprise-class, but we don't rely on ISP mail anyway. The extra addresses are handy though, for router logs, alerts etc.

I really don't know the extent and nature of the traffic control on the domestic service; to some extent it's inevitable on any contended service, but Infinity for business option 2 has a 16-Mbit/s minimum (obviously, that's no guarantee for the server end) and I haven't seen any evidence of throttling beyond normal levels of server-side congestion.

The line syncs at 40 Mbit/s down, 10 Mbit/s up (the original prediction was 28.9/6.4) and we see 37.6/8.8 on speed tests and, more importantly, real services where they/we can drive it.

I've called customer services a couple of times (nothing serious) and they were responsive and helpful.
Standard User DLS
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-12 18:49:41
Print Post

[re: DLS] [link to this post]

That was my price; I thought that static IPs were a fiver whether you had one or five, but MHC may be able to clarify.

Note that setting-up multiple static IPs can be a bit trickier than having a single static one. I used a Billion 7800n router which simplifies things with one-to-one NAT.
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 13-Feb-12 19:14:31
Print Post

Yes on a residential line ... and if tere is a physical line failure, it is dealt with as business not residential though as my broadband is affected.

Just looked at my bill and it is £35 including the single static IP. 24 month contract with free hub - it was over a year ago but packages change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User g6phf
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-12 22:13:32
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Ok, well I bit the bullet and ordered!
Getting very fed up with my current service and speeds!
Lets hope I get the MAC from them soon!

Thanks for your comments folks.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 13-Feb-12 22:17:32
Print Post

Who are you with at the moment?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User g6phf
(learned) Mon 13-Feb-12 22:24:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Who are you with at the moment?

I'm with ADSL24 at present. Been with them for years but suffering from poor performance, for past 6 months or so.
  Print Thread

Jump to