User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User gordonw
(learned) Thu 16-Feb-12 12:30:37
Print Post

BT Fibre - Home Hub

[link to this post]

Not sure if I am in the correct forum but give it a go. I want to replace the home hub with a Vigor2750. Looks easy a lot of people have done it. They ask for the username and password details (obviously). When I look in the hub the internet username looks generic ? and no password set. Is this correct or should I be looking elsewhere ?

Regards

Gordon
Standard User Ribble
(member) Thu 16-Feb-12 18:50:03
Print Post

Re: BT Fibre - Home Hub

[re: gordonw] [link to this post]

When I look in the hub the internet username looks generic ? and no password set

Its correct, though other routers may require a password so just put in BT
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Feb-12 05:35:14
Print Post

[re: gordonw] [link to this post]

With BT Infinity the HH does not make the connection. It's the fibre modem that does that. So its username/pwd, if any, will be irrelevant.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User lee111s
(regular) Fri 17-Feb-12 08:39:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The username is not irrelevant. The Openreach modem deals only with the connection (synchronisation) between your home modem and the port in the cabinet. You then need a router to authenticate on BT Wholesale's radius server.

While the username is checked to ensure the domain is right (@btbroadband.com) the password is not checked by the radius however, routers will not allow you to submit a username without a password.

Edited by lee111s (Fri 17-Feb-12 09:56:20)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 17-Feb-12 09:36:33
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

OK, thanks.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Alnath
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 17-Feb-12 18:16:13
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by lee111s:
The username is not irrelevant. The Openreach modem deals only with the connection (synchronisation) between your home modem and the port in the cabinet. You then need a router to authenticate on BT Wholesale's radius server.

While the username is checked to ensure the domain is right (@btbroadband.com) the password is not checked by the radius however, routers will not allow you to submit a username without a password.

But you can put any old cobblers in for the password if you wish
  Print Thread

Jump to