User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Gazzertron
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 09:10:46
Print Post

BT Infinity HH3 dead

[link to this post]

Hello,
I had Infinity installed in January of this year and the Home Hub 3 has died (no lights), I called support and they finally agreed that it was dead but it is going to take at least two business days to get here.
Is there anyway to plug direcly into the VDSL modem or use my old Sky router (why oh why did I leave) to get me going until BT deliver a new modem?
I'm currently on dial up 50.6 Kbps think I will use Netscape and pretend its 1997...

Cheers

Gary

Edited by Gazzertron (Tue 28-Feb-12 09:12:16)

Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Feb-12 09:38:26
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity HH3 dead

[re: Gazzertron] [link to this post]

Good news is that you can plug in directly ... but what you need to do ... No idea!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User Gazzertron
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 09:45:52
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

Exactly, the VDSL modem is not running DHCP...

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User kitcat
(regular) Tue 28-Feb-12 10:39:47
Print Post

You should be able to plug the PC direct into the OR Modem. You should also be able to plug any router in that will take an ethernet cable.

You may have to play with passwords etc especially on the Sky router. The defaults were on here somewhere. PC make work easiest BUT make sure your firewall and AV are up to date without the NAT./ firewall on the router to protect you.

Should be easy to try and much better than dial up, surprised you didn't try fisrt off.

A MODEM will not work as the OR Modem delivers Ethernet not DSL.
Standard User Gazzertron
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 11:15:24
Print Post

[re: kitcat] [link to this post]

Thanks for the reply, I have managed to get it working by plugging direct into the Openreach modem and then created a new internet connection (the one that gives the option for PPPoE) FYI Username is anything@btbroadband.com & password can be anything you like.
Not quite sure how I am going to explain to the rest of the family that its just my laptop thats connected, PS3, netbook and Iphone owners will be very disappointed but dads happy!

Gary
Standard User MHC
(legend) Tue 28-Feb-12 11:18:57
Print Post

In reply to a post by Gazzertron:
Not quite sure how I am going to explain to the rest of the family that its just my laptop thats connected, PS3, netbook and Iphone owners will be very disappointed but dads happy!

Gary

Diagnostics - trying to locate and rectify the fault!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User johnf5368
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 12:09:47
Print Post

If I was you I would get over to Virgin as BT is no good at all my friend and I have been useing windon live web cam for two and half years, went over to infinity and now it just stops and all I have is a stop start picture been like that for six mouths and BT don`t want to know. Would like to hear if any one has the same trouble.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Tue 28-Feb-12 13:18:51
Print Post

Is a DHCP setting that can be ticked in basic settings on the modems own web pages.

Try this

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4089459-hua...

If the modem can be plugged into one of the sky box 1 to 4 (I guess ) holes that normally have computer, games machine or what ever in to not sure, might be the wrong protocol.

Guessing it wrong if you did came strange settings on the computer to get to work.
Shame as DHCP could be turned off on sky box and let the modem do that.

I think the router has to be the ethernet type like the HH has the hole for.

Unlocking is interesting to do anyway, If it can be done without HH plugged in I cant remember, forgot how I did , all there in instructions but forgotten what I did but cant be to hard as I did!.

Sure this wont work so if wrong then oops, someone will say if cant link to a hole on the sky box.

Sure the router has to have the correct hole it wont have.
Unlock, nice to see the good stuff so worth it if the rest if what I say is wrong, and sure it wont be right as I know only certain routers do like virgin ones with the correct input for the modem like sisters wireless thing about 6 years ago when cable modem needed a wireless box as well on their modem with the incoming coax.

So sky router, a no go.
any one know different.
Standard User ian007jen
(member) Tue 28-Feb-12 16:43:55
Print Post

Not quite sure how I am going to explain to the rest of the family that its just my laptop thats connected

Try connectify http://www.connectify.me/, it creates a wifi hotspot

IAn
Standard User Gazzertron
(newbie) Tue 28-Feb-12 16:52:44
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

The Home Hub 3 is dead as a dead thing and this provides the wireless access. I have plugged my laptop directly into the VDSL Openreach modem and set it up to use a PPoE internet connection. Now I'll wait till the new Home Hub 3 arrives.
I was with Sky for years and the Netgear router they supplied served me well, I hope that the HH3 failing was just bad luck!
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to