User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User GeoffB
(experienced) Wed 29-Feb-12 05:29:06
Print Post

My FON hotspot

[link to this post]

I allowed my HH3 to act as a FON hotspot but it also seems to think it's a BTOpenzone hotspot too. Is that normal? I definitely am broadcasting two access points as when I disable my HH3 they disappear.
While I'm here...I see that FON is unsecured, so presumably any sensitive sites are not advised (banking etc.). Do BT warn about this anywhere, as it's pretty important I would have thought?

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 29-Feb-12 06:35:47
Print Post

Re: My FON hotspot

[re: GeoffB] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by GeoffB:
I allowed my HH3 to act as a FON hotspot but it also seems to think it's a BTOpenzone hotspot too. Is that normal? I definitely am broadcasting two access points as when I disable my HH3 they disappear.
While I'm here...I see that FON is unsecured, so presumably any sensitive sites are not advised (banking etc.). Do BT warn about this anywhere, as it's pretty important I would have thought?

yes i think that's normal i can pick up about 4 fons and 4 open zone at the same time why who knows maybe its something to do with the way BT makes deals with other company's smile

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sky 9732kbps/ 796kbps + TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 4157Kbps/1536Kbps
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 29-Feb-12 09:25:48
Print Post

The "unsecured" bit I expect is just to gain access to the internet link on your router. No password needed. Though doesn't a user have to have some login username and password given them anyway, in order to log into the FON service?

"Secured" websites (httpssmile are achieved by the setup at the target company's website. I would expect those to function as normal.

Try it! Connect something to your own FON and go to the login page for your bank, or similar. No need to enter anything, so no danger. You should see the URL with https, and probably a lock symbol however your browser displays that.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 03-Mar-12 12:17:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, you connect to the unsecured link, then you have to open a browser to log on using your username and password.
You can get a smartphone app which makes it easier on a phone.

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
Standard User fourmiles
(newbie) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:12:22
Print Post

My HH3 also creates a "BT FON" and "BT OPENZONE" hotspot.

Yes they are unsecured, in that you don't need a password to connect to them over WiFi, BUT you do then need to enter appropriate BT Fon or Openzone credentials to use any service or website.

It's no different to any Fon or Openzone hotspot that you find in the wild really, and totally safe - the network is completely separate from your own and only uses around 512k download bandwidth (out of the 37 I have, 0.5 is not a lot!)
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:57:00
Print Post

[re: fourmiles] [link to this post]

But... please read my other post. Lots of chatter on the forums about not being able to connect. I certainly can't, and I'm <1m from the HH3.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 04-Mar-12 15:59:15
Print Post

You can't connect to the unsecured hotspot? Fon or Openzone?

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________
  Print Thread

Jump to