User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Wed 29-Feb-12 13:09:35
Print Post

Any way to find out if anyone's using my FON?

[link to this post]

Hi

Is there any way to see on the HH3 if someone is actually using MY FON/OpenZone hotspot?

Thanks

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Wed 29-Feb-12 22:39:45
Print Post

Re: Any way to find out if anyone's using my FON?

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

connected devices?

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking

Edited by orly (Wed 29-Feb-12 22:41:09)

Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Thu 01-Mar-12 11:41:09
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

Thanks,

Didn't know that that page showed ALL devices connected ot the hub, irrespective of which route into (and out) they were using.

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian007jen
(member) Thu 01-Mar-12 14:44:25
Print Post

Hi

It probably does not, have you tested?

Ian
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 01-Mar-12 15:28:51
Print Post

It does say:
Home Network
The diagram below shows all the devices that are connected to your BT Home Hub

Of course...whether all actually means all is something you'd have to verify through testing. Got a device you could use to connect through FON?

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User kwikbreaks
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 08-Mar-12 08:35:35
Print Post

I have a Fonera+ router and so a FON account. Logging in here - http://www.fon.com/en/main brings up a page with umpteen options including who has connected to your hotspot - https://www.btfon.com/userzone Try it with your BT login - it may or may not work though. There could be a BT login that take you to that page as it has a BT logo as well as FON - maybe trying the second page direct will bring it up.

I doubt that your router will show anything logged into FON as it won't be part of your network - FON connections are tunnelled directly through to BT.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 08-Mar-12 09:02:22
Print Post

Hello

Just tried the suggested idea and going into advanced settings on the router and looking at connected devices the phone was showing up on wireless as it does as when it is turned on it logs onto the HH3 on its own.

Turn off the phones wireless, refresh the web page of the router and disconnected, strangly enough!.

Then go on the phone and bring up the list of wilreless things and choose bt fon, let it connect. Refresh page on computer and phone not connected, like I guess as home network devices on your part of the HH.

Gets an ip address of not starting with 192.168 like the stuff in the house, computer, telly, blueray box and all that.

Phone has been dished up a 10.209.48 address.

Noticed on WIFI analiser, (app on the smart phone) the MAC address of the 3 things on the router, my wireless, BTfon and BT openzone are similar, just the first 2 numbers change of the group of 6 , 2 digit numbers but guess you have control of your 192.168. ***.*** part.

So I would say no you cant tell if somebody is on. Not sure if the wireless Blue LED on the things flashes when someone is on wireless on your home network as well as BT fon, but not a good way of deciding really,

BT fon must be like said a separate part we dont get to play with. Just works.

Speedtest app on the phone. gives 10 or 11mb speed on the HH network.
On BT fon does 3.2MB so it does not run at full speed when someone is on. Gives the home user most of the connection speed I guess.

OK mine goes at 37.5Mb normally full wack. Phone only ever does 11 max so BTfon is slower download. Up is the same at 1.8Mb.

Guess you never know but different mac address so not using your internet allowance or your connection , if they are doing anything dodgy that has someone knocking on the door!. I had thought about that in the early days but differnt MAC adress so not your own internet connection. good then and did not want people using some of my 40GB a month. Does not but cant tell if anyone is on it.

Mine is a flat enough away from the public paths, 2nd floor and in a cupboard of a brick house, not even good out in the garden so unlikely mine will ever be used unless new neighbours downstairs or to the side moving in and will move BT broadband so can use until theirs is going. Router in a rubbish place but shared so ok to me to use other peoples. A bit mean but playing along!.

To be fair I think it is rubbish. Trying to find a hot spot need to be stood still. ok in a town as BT openzone are many from the shops but really a bit useless and mobile phone being unlimited and on 3 that is good, find not many places it does not go.

Got BT for the bt fon but really wish I did not bother, still BT infinity was the cheapest at £18 last may so would have had anyway.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Mar-12 12:29:51
Print Post

[re: Daniel_g] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Daniel_g:
Mine is a flat enough away from the public paths, 2nd floor and in a cupboard of a brick house
Cramped, then?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 08-Mar-12 12:39:33
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hello Bob

Not the biggest but when Dad bought this property above granny in 2007, was owned by the same bloke since new in about 1967 and was still looking like that. Like some of the homes under the hammer properties, BBC1 every morning, and yes had it on today. Good program.

Now new everything and the 1980's boiler replaced 3 months ago. Small but not stuck in the 60's anymore.

Lovely kitchen shame in went!. (joke).

Had people moan about my phone wiring when replying to someone about phone connections. People say was wrong. Funny how since 2008 when someone was here for 2 years and now we have it worked ok.

Moved the master socket as the only one in the place, did extensions and job done with al the complete rewire and fusebord. Did the lot.

Off the point.

Nice little place so all good stuff.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 08-Mar-12 12:58:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Nice enough.

A few pictures taken 2007 when bought the place.
So much nicer now and more than 2 sockets in each room. Never did enough in those days.

https://picasaweb.google.com/101665468320484615712/F...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to