User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User BattFink
(newbie) Tue 06-Mar-12 11:17:45
Print Post

BT Infinity link getting slower

[link to this post]

Apologies if this is the wrong forum

I had BT Infinity installed at the end of January, which appeared to be fine. I was receiving 36.2 Mb/s down & 9.13 Mb/s up, however recently the line seems to be getting slower & slower.

BT Speedtest Result - this was when logged in as speedtest@speedtest_domain

All tests have been done with a hard wired 1Gb's connection. I've tried different Routers & have even tried a direct PPoE connection to the modem (to eliminate any router issues), have tried with multiple different computers (running WinXP, Win7, OS X & Ubuntu Linux) to make sure it's not computer related & have tried running the speedtest at different times of day & night

When BT Infinity was first installed I noticed the modem was syncing at 110,440 kps... recently the sync speed has dropped to between 95,000 - 97,000 kps (but doesn't explain a speed drop).

Thinking back though, ever since Infinity was installed I've never been able to download anything at more than 2.2MB/s even from a private work FTP server (which is sitting on a 1GB/s dedicated internet connection)

Now according to BT availability checker our exchange RFS date is 31/03/2012, however have noticed quite a few BT Homehub wireless routers have started to appear on the street that our local cabinet services (assuming their BT Infinity connections could this related?)

Is it worth a call to BT next or can anyone suggest something else that I can try?

Edited by BattFink (Tue 06-Mar-12 11:49:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 06-Mar-12 11:34:00
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity link getting slower

[re: BattFink] [link to this post]

You are mis-reading the data.

The attainable rate is an estimate of what might be possible, you need to look further down the page at the Line Rate - 39997Kbps which is the actual sync speed.

Single thread downloads can sometimes run slower, tried multiple downloads at the same time?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to