User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User zrerz
(committed) Thu 08-Mar-12 16:45:22
Print Post

Imrove wireless range of BTHomeHub 3

[link to this post]

Hi All,

Just had delivery of BT HomeHub 3, ready for when Infinity goes live at my Chester North Exchange on 31st of this month (March), but my question is this, is there any simple way to extend the hubs wireless range?

It's set to us the default b/g/n settings, and upstairs, my youngest son has his xbox 360, to which we've tried to connect wirelessly, but the signal is so lo, everything lags, games are unplayable, and watching videos is impossible to to very low wireless signal, even the eldest sons PC, again upstairs wirelessly, suffers from crawl, even though the PC has a belkn N adaptor, and the xbox too has a built in N connector.

Any ideas on how to boost the wireless signal?

The broadband helpline are no good, simply keep swapping out hubs (I'm on my third homeub 3 now), so over to the experts!

Thanks in advance.

Dave.
BTOption 3 total broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Mar-12 17:24:09
Print Post

Re: Imrove wireless range of BTHomeHub 3

[re: zrerz] [link to this post]

Have you still got an HH2?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 08-Mar-12 21:27:53
Print Post

Splash out on a set of three powerline adaptors and that way your wireless issues will be sorted, and it'll pay dividends when you get your FTTC service.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User zrerz
(committed) Sat 10-Mar-12 00:37:08
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the help, yes, still got HH2, why?

Regarding the HH3, I've tried every wireless channel from 1 to 11, but no improvement sadly.

Dave.
BTOption 3 total broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 10-Mar-12 01:37:20
Print Post

In reply to a post by zrerz:
Thanks for all the help, yes, still got HH2, why?
Because as I understand your post that was OK for wireless. I'm not familiar with the Home Hubs, but with most routers you can connect them using ethernet, disable the wireless on (in your case) the HH3, and use the HH2 as a Wireless Access Point.

To do this you would be best asking how, unless someone chips in here with the method. It involves something like altering the default IP address of the HH2 and disabling the DHCP server on one of them. But I'm not an expert on the detail. Just know it is often done.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User GeoffB
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Mar-12 05:45:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Are all your wireless adapters N compatible? If even one of them is not then the connection speed will default to the slower G standard irrespective of having the N box ticked in the hub settings. The Virgin superhub has the same issues and there are help pages on their website telling you how to use your own router with it - obviously all the IP addresses are totally different and you'd need to check the correct ones for BT. It worked very well for me.

Dell Studio 15 with Win7 64bit and 4GB RAM
IE9 and Live Mail
BT Infinity via HH3
  Print Thread

Jump to