User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User daved476
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 14:19:42
Print Post

Infinity guaranteed speeds

[link to this post]

Just had a cold-call from BT trying to sell Infinity. The guy I spoke to said that our estimated speed would be 40Mbps and that was a guaranteed minimum. I pushed him on this and he insisted it was a guarantee.

This is the first time I have heard something like that. Does it sound correct or is it just the salesman being a bit naughty?
Standard User MHC
(legend) Mon 12-Mar-12 14:39:25
Print Post

Re: Infinity guaranteed speeds

[re: daved476] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by daved476:
Just had a cold-call from BT trying to sell Infinity. The guy I spoke to said that our estimated speed would be 40Mbps and that was a guaranteed minimum. I pushed him on this and he insisted it was a guarantee.

This is the first time I have heard something like that. Does it sound correct or is it just the salesman being a bit naughty?

Salesman being a little naughty!

At present 40Mbps - is the MAX or to be exact a 38716k sync with maximum throughput less than that at around 36Mbps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

M H C

taurus excreta cerebrum vincit
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Mon 12-Mar-12 15:55:11
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

According to recent OFCOM requirements, the minimum speeds MUST be quoted when selling / providing a service. This is enable customers who do not achieve these speeds to get out of contract without any penalties.

Also I would suggest that with the move to 80/20 shortly, the max the current checker shows is 40Mbps and this is being quoted to the OP.

Edited by nelix01 (Mon 12-Mar-12 15:56:32)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Mar-12 16:08:07
Print Post

[re: MHC] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MHC:

Salesman being a little naughty!
Very naughty.
At present 40Mbps - is the MAX or to be exact a 38716k sync with maximum throughput less than that at around 36Mbps.
Not exact at all tongue. The max sync is 40,000, or in reality 39999, with the highest IP Profile being 38717kbps. As for throughput, speedtest.net will typically show well over 37Mbps and even the much-maligned tbb tester gives consistently over 36Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Mar-12 16:17:28
Print Post

If you put your phone number into this checker you will get an estimate for your line. It can be unreliable, but is what ISPs, including BT, look at when telling you your expected connection speed.

If you post your postcode, one of us will be able to tell you the Openreach number to multiply your current speed by for another estimate. We will also be able to tell you which cabinet you are connected to, and if you reckon you are within 600 metres cable run of it then 40Mbps sync is very probable, with more available after 10 April. (Possibly higher priced).

PM your postcode if you don't want to publicise it, though I may not be able to reply till around midnight. I have some blood-sucking to do tongue.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 12-Mar-12 17:17:48
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

What Ofcom requirement for minimum speeds?

There is no requirement to give the CBR which will be close to the minimum, i.e. around 50 Kbps to 100Kbps on most services.

There is a code that says providers should give an indication of the connection speed for a line, and the ASA stuff on 10% of customers being able to achive advertised speeds

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Mon 12-Mar-12 17:26:50
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I am talking about the Code Of Conduct

Maybe not a requirement but it is still monitored.
Standard User daved476
(newbie) Mon 12-Mar-12 18:36:02
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Hmm. Thought it sounded a bit dodgy.

The other things he said were that all support for Infinity customers is UK based and that the 80mbps upgrade was coming soon and would be a free upgrade for everyone.
Do either of those claims sound plausible?

RobertOs - will pm the details to you. Thanks for the offer - was wondering how to tell which cabinet would be mine.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 12-Mar-12 23:48:03
Print Post

PM replied to with details.
The other things he said were that all support for Infinity customers is UK based
Fib or ignorance.
... the 80mbps upgrade was coming soon and would be a free upgrade for everyone.
Do either of those claims sound plausible?
Openreach announced today that it would be available from 10 April. There's a link in that to the prices they charge ISPs, though I would read those as maxima rather than cast in stone. I haven't yet compared them to 40/2 and 40/10 prices.

What an individual ISP chooses to do about pricing the products they sell to us is an entirely commercial decison on their part. I wouldn't say the rep is wrong in the case of Infinity, but neither would I put money on him being right. All will be revealed soon.

Print Thread

Jump to