User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bhuk
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:21:25
Print Post

Help: Charged £50 for going over download limits!!!

[link to this post]

For the last month i've been using the parents Internet line without any knowledge of any download limits. They have just received an email from BT asking for an extra £50 for going over the limits. Is there anything we can do to resolve this? That is an insanely excessive amount to be charged from a ADSL isp!!! Am shocked

Aren't they supposed to only force you to upgrade the package if you consecutively go over the limits?

Edited by bhuk (Wed 14-Mar-12 14:23:10)

Standard User lee111s
(regular) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:23:04
Print Post

Re: Help: Charged £50 for going over download limits!!!

[re: bhuk] [link to this post]

£5 per 5Gb.

It's in the terms when you sign up to a package with a usage limit on it. There's no way to get out of it I'm afraid.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:45:51
Print Post

You must be on the 10 or 40 GB usage package. Upgrade to the Unlimited usage package for extra £11 or £7 pm.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User bhuk
(newbie) Wed 14-Mar-12 14:57:40
Print Post

[re: lee111s] [link to this post]

But why should we have to pay £50 for one months usage! You could nearly get unlimited adsl on sky for that!! There must be something that can be done
Standard User Embraer
(member) Wed 14-Mar-12 15:06:00
Print Post

Either move to Sky or do what most have done and move to an unlimited package. With so much of our media coming down the internet pipe from iPlayer and Sky who would possibly think they'd stay under such a low limit?

If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more understanding bank managers!

3 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, 1 Netgear 834GT with DGTeam firmware, 1 Apple Timecapsule extended by 2 AEs. Bye Bye AOHell, Hello O2, See Ya O2 once FTTC FINALLY arrives from my cab
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 14-Mar-12 15:08:24
Print Post

You went over by 50 GB. It's in the T&Cs:
If you exceed your monthly usage allowance your service won't stop working; advisory emails will be sent to your BT primary email address if you reach 80 per cent of your usage allowance each month and further notification if you then exceed your allowance in a particular month.

If you exceed your usage allowance, you'll be charged for additional usage in units of five gigabytes (GB), at £5 per 5GB. Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill.
Your parents are remiss in not acquainting you and ignoring the warning emails.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User blueacid
(committed) Wed 14-Mar-12 21:29:27
Print Post

Unfortunately, the only thing that can be done is to plead with them to let you off or discount the charges.

However, they're not obliged to - it's what your parents have agreed to pay if they use extra usage. It's all clear in the contract; more fool them if they didn't properly read what they agreed.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 14-Mar-12 21:32:12
Print Post

[re: blueacid] [link to this post]

It surprises me that bhuk lives in a world of true unlimited, without being aware that others may not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 15-Mar-12 01:28:10
Print Post

In reply to a post by bhuk:
But why should we have to pay £50 for one months usage! You could nearly get unlimited adsl on sky for that!! There must be something that can be done

But you aren't using Sky or on an unlimited package.

Stump up and re-grade to a more appropriate package. BT have an unlimited version as do just about every other ISP.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 15-Mar-12 02:42:39
Print Post

Methinks ye doth protest too much!

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to