User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User murray2000
(newbie) Wed 21-Mar-12 12:59:24
Print Post

Best way to cancel/migrate?

[link to this post]

How do I (hassle free) move from BT to Sky?

We've currently got "Unlimited Anytime Plan" and "BT Total Broadband Option 3". We've already got Sky TV. Our contract is past the minimum term with BT mid-April.

I know we have to call 0800 800 150, but should we set up Sky Broadband/Talk first? Do we need to give any notice to BT? What's the best procedure?

I really could do without a headache.
Standard User Tonguey
(learned) Wed 21-Mar-12 17:28:05
Print Post

Re: Best way to cancel/migrate?

[re: murray2000] [link to this post]

In my experience, the best way to go would be to get a MAC code from BT then give it to Sky with the new order.

You could keep the BT line as it is, just migrating the broadband service - I think that would be the quickest way to change ISP, otherwise it could be a case of waiting for a Sky line to be installed first. In saying that, is Sky line rental a lot cheaper?

Find out the date when your BT contract ends, then give Sky a call/live chat via their site and they will be able to advise you of the best course of action.

Best of luck.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 21-Mar-12 18:08:55
Print Post

[re: Tonguey] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Tonguey:
You could keep the BT line as it is, just migrating the broadband service
No, Sky now insist you also put your line with them.

Otherwise, your advice re: MAC is sound.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Wed 21-Mar-12 18:50:19
Print Post

otherwise it could be a case of waiting for a Sky line to be installed first

If they already have an active BT line then the phone and broadband will be switched over at the same time, the only way there'd be a delay is if they were having a NEW line installed.

is Sky line rental a lot cheaper

sky unlimited is £17.25 and broadband unlimited is £7.50 (because of the op having sky tv and taking phone which as said is now mandatory to have broadband)
Were as bt is £19.50 for the unlimited calls + about £20 for broadband (based on web prices im not 100% sure on the broadband so that bit could be wrong) so all in all big savings

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Wed 21-Mar-12 18:51:30)

Standard User Tonguey
(learned) Wed 21-Mar-12 19:19:17
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
You could keep the BT line as it is, just migrating the broadband service
No, Sky now insist you also put your line with them.

Otherwise, your advice re: MAC is sound.

Wow! not very nice of Sky.

Anyhoo, sorry for the mis-information in my original post.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User murray2000
(newbie) Thu 22-Mar-12 07:56:40
Print Post

They say you can save around £200 a year by switching. The numbers certainly seem to add up.

I found this on the website --

"When you switch your broadband, calls and line rental to Sky, there's no need to contact your existing provider. We'll manage the switching for you, and you should be able to keep your existing phone number".

and

"If you do have a compatible line, we'll simply take over your existing line."

So it sounds like all we have to do is sign up with Sky Broadband/Talk after the minimum contract for BT has passed and Sky do all the rest.
Standard User acpsd775
(experienced) Thu 22-Mar-12 08:02:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by murray2000:
They say you can save around £200 a year by switching. The numbers certainly seem to add up.

I found this on the website --

"When you switch your broadband, calls and line rental to Sky, there's no need to contact your existing provider. We'll manage the switching for you, and you should be able to keep your existing phone number".

and

"If you do have a compatible line, we'll simply take over your existing line."

So it sounds like all we have to do is sign up with Sky Broadband/Talk after the minimum contract for BT has passed and Sky do all the rest.

yup correct also if you go via topcashback.co.uk or quidco.com you could get about £50.50 (current rate for taking broadband unlimited)

Ash

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TalkTalk 11105kbps/1020kbps + 3UK MBB Via Samsung GS2 5252Kbps/1608Kbps

Edited by acpsd775 (Thu 22-Mar-12 08:13:08)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 22-Mar-12 09:36:35
Print Post

It is still best to ask for a MAC, even if Sky do not require it. Also check the BT Terms & Conditions to see whether the issue of a MAC starts your notice period, whatever that is.

When requesting a MAC, do not mention the words "Cancel" or "Cease", as these may be taken literally and a Broadband Cease order put on your line by BT. That would screw you up. If you can request it online that is safest. If by telephone say you are intending to migrate it, and I always refuse to say which ISP I am moving to - you have no obligation to tell them.

The reason I recommend asking for a MAC is that it shows you are complying with the Openreach migration system. Some people migrating to full LLU as you will be doing find they later receive a charge of around £29.99 from the old ISP, for the Broadband Cease that is part of the move and is triggered by the LLU provider's order. You/they should not be charged this, but having requesting and received a MAC is useful evidence in your favour if you do.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 22-Mar-12 09:54:00
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

The full LLU process should see your phone and broadband old provider informed of your intention to move, and anti slamming should mean you get a letter to warn you, and thus circumvent any slamming.

Getting the MAC first, can help to trigger the 30 day notice period and as RobertoS points out help avoid any possible cease charges

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Thu 22-Mar-12 10:12:55
Print Post

One problem with Sky is that if you change your phone line over to them and you wish to change it back to BT later then you will most likely lose your telephone number. It is a well known problem.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to