User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Cottee55
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 18:27:47
Print Post

Bt option 3 with fibre to Infinity

[link to this post]

To cut a long story short I was told I could get around 8 meg, with bt option 3 with fibre. I actually get full speed but only get the 2 meg upload.
I checked the checker last night and it said I can now order infinity, and the extra upload would be great my modem shows I can get around 8 meg up, but when I just tried to order I'm told I need new equipment and an engineer visit. Surely it should just be as easy as switching me over as I already have all the kit. I've phoned a few times now and I'm told the same thing, am I missing the point? Surely it's the same kit for option 3 with fibre?.
Standard User logicblock
(member) Wed 28-Mar-12 19:16:45
Print Post

Re: Bt option 3 with fibre to Infinity

[re: Cottee55] [link to this post]

Have a look at http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/fibre-broadband.... towards the bottom of the page.
The engineer installs an additional modem which connects to the Homehub 3.
Mine is being installed tomorrow smile
Standard User lee111s
(regular) Wed 28-Mar-12 19:19:30
Print Post

It doesn't need an engineer install, it's a software change to the port in the cab along with a billing change on BT Retail's billing system

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 28-Mar-12 20:20:58
Print Post

You have the openreach modem and I presume HomeHub3 already.

In which case no need for an engineer, but you may just want to take the route of least resistance and let them book it, one may never turn up as Openreach will realise the situation.

Chances are the BT staff dont understand that you have the full FTTC connection already, just that it needs a port reconfiguration.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Cottee55
(newbie) Wed 28-Mar-12 21:08:30
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for all the replys, I have now ordered it no engineer is coming out but they can't stop another home hub coming. So I will have a spare they really need to update there info, but as the people I spoke to have never heard of option 3 with fibre I can't really blame them. Does the port change require an engineer or is it done remotely?.

Edited by Cottee55 (Wed 28-Mar-12 21:18:36)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 28-Mar-12 21:54:41
Print Post

The sales staff aren't aware of any other companies offering FTTC either. Superfast broadband = Infinity = Only from BT.

See http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/bt/t/4086233-bt-inf...

That was in early February. See this one today. (Fourth paragraph).

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 29-Mar-12 11:06:37
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
The sales staff aren't aware of any other companies offering FTTC either.
I get calls from their sales team every now and then, trying to tell me how good Infinity is and why I should switch to fibre. Some seem to understand when I say I already have it (through another ISP) but some seem really confused. None of them listen to my request that I be taken off the list of people who are happy to take sales calls...

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via FTTC at ~40Mbit down (has occasionally dropped to ~36) & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Mar-12 15:55:54
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by dspillett:
None of them listen to my request that I be taken off the list of people who are happy to take sales calls...
Then they violating TPS guidelines, assuming you subscribe to it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User dspillett
(committed) Thu 29-Mar-12 16:21:38
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by dspillett:
None of them listen to my request that I be taken off the list of people who are happy to take sales calls...
Then they violating TPS guidelines, assuming you subscribe to it.
I pay them for copper line rental, so I assume they get around that as I'm an existing customer and even though it is a sales call they'll class it as a customer service call ("helping the customer get the best out of their line" or some such excuse).

--------------------------------------------------------
Current ISP: Andrews & Arnold (AAISP) via FTTC at ~40Mbit down (has occasionally dropped to ~36) & ~10Mbit up, joined July 2011.
Previous setup: Be Pro with UploadPlus (ADSL2+, AnnexM), 12ish Mbit down, 1.6 up, happy customer for ~2.5 years.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 29-Mar-12 17:33:59
Print Post

[re: dspillett] [link to this post]

No, you are an existing customer paying them for specific products.

They may contact you only relating to those specific products. Anything else is an unsolicited marketing call.

Anyway, you may opt out of these online on their website under your account.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to