User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Paladine
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Mar-12 22:06:03
Print Post

Do BT Port Block on Infinity

[link to this post]

Infinity became available today in our area so I was just wondering if BT block any ports on the Infinity Unlimited package? Also, is it possible to get more than a single static IP with BT Infinity, I have been using a /29 for 10 years, not keen on doing without it.

Edited by Paladine (Thu 29-Mar-12 22:06:50)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 29-Mar-12 22:39:57
Print Post

Re: Do BT Port Block on Infinity

[re: Paladine] [link to this post]

For static IP you need to use their business products, or choose another ISP

As for port blocks, there are none, just the traffic management

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Paladine
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 29-Mar-12 22:47:31
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yeah I just noticed the business package, for £40 + VAT they are currently offering Unlimited and a /29

All things considered it seems like a very attractive package and still comes with Free WiFi access to Openzone.

Anyone got any feedback on the Infinity Business package?

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Mar-12 00:00:43
Print Post

Aquiss prices too high?

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Paladine
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Mar-12 00:05:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Havent been an Aquiss customer for over 3 years but looking at their packages yes they are too high to compete with BT and don't offer unlimited.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 30-Mar-12 00:08:52
Print Post

Picked it up from your profile smile. Who are you with now?

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Paladine
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Mar-12 01:40:42
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Been with Vivaciti for 3 years, shame the FTTC policy is so screwed up that no-one can compete with BT (with the exception of Virgin) because I would have liked to stay with Vivaciti but for a reasonable amount of data in this day and age (with all the VoD and streaming services etc.) the costs of staying with Vivaciti would be astonimically high.

I don't like to use the big faceless corps but in the current economy I can't justify paying £100+ a month for my Internet service.

Standard User DLS
(regular) Fri 30-Mar-12 03:06:41
Print Post

I've been on Infinity for Business with the unlimited option and block of static IPs since October. They give you a choice of a single static IP or a /29 block for £5. The block is better value if you don't mind the extra setup - and given you're already accustomed that's not likely to be a problem.

At ~500m from the cabinet it's giving full 40/10 sync. Overall very pleased with it; we use it for work and domestic use, and for big up/downloads and streaming it's a great improvement over the previous ~3.5 Mbit/s ADSL connection.
Standard User aquiss
(experienced) Fri 30-Mar-12 07:02:26
Print Post

Hi Alexander,

Do you need FTTC services?

A general reply really to everyone, we get so many enquries where customers use less than 10GB a month and in many cases already syncing up a very reasonable speeds (ie: 12Mbps+) that it seems really unrequired at the moment to consider FTTx services. For many it cheaper and very practical to stay on an ADSL2+ service presently, with unlimited choices being far more available.

Martin Pitt
Aquiss Internet
http://www.aquiss.net

Unlimited Family Broadband Packages : http://www.aquiss.net/broadband-unlimited.php
(free activation or migration + 2 months free)
Standard User Paladine
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 30-Mar-12 09:56:15
Print Post

[re: aquiss] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by aquiss:
Hi Alexander,

Do you need FTTC services?

A general reply really to everyone, we get so many enquries where customers use less than 10GB a month and in many cases already syncing up a very reasonable speeds (ie: 12Mbps+) that it seems really unrequired at the moment to consider FTTx services. For many it cheaper and very practical to stay on an ADSL2+ service presently, with unlimited choices being far more available.

I am using approx 130GB per month at the moment purely through streaming (Sky Go, Netflix, Lovefilm, iPlayer, 4OD, 5 On Demand) and I do a -lot- of international travel so it would be nice to be able to access my media server to stream media when I am stuck in a hotel room on the other side of the world.

Also, I am concerned about my mobile comms so I want to route everything through a VPN/Secure proxy and having a 10mbit/s upload at home makes that viable (with the added advantage that I can still access VoD and Streaming services if I am proxied through my home IP).

So yes, there are significant advantages for me in switching to FTTC, that is before you even begin to consider my mail server and work projects.

Edited by Paladine (Fri 30-Mar-12 09:57:09)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to