User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User spranglebolt
(member) Tue 03-Apr-12 19:00:31
Print Post

Is bt speedtester a random number generator?

[link to this post]

Why have my latest three bt speedtests shown downloads in single or double kbps figures, whilst thinkbroadband tests carried out immediately afterwards display over 3000kbps (still pathetic, I know, but bear with, bear with). Uploads equally disparate. Previously tests gave broadly similar results.

Perhaps one of you experts could kindly explain?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Apr-12 20:17:58
Print Post

Re: Is bt speedtester a random number generator?

[re: spranglebolt] [link to this post]

Maybe the server is suffering traffic problems, it has a habit of only being good for displaying the IP Profile rather than a place to go and test speed of your connection

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-12 22:18:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

It's all very well being only good for the IPP, but if you want to report a fault, you HAVE to use the BT tester using an ethernet cable.

From what it looks like on the BT care forum, the tester is completely broken, generally giving 0 upload speed. Many people find it impossible to do the TAP3 test.

Also, people all over the country have been reporting Infinity slow downs on a very regular basis. Usual cure isa reboot - advice is often "you have a broken HH3", "get BT to change your HH3". But, the speeds come back again once you restart with a new IP (well, in a lot of cases). But, they drift down again - for some people it's hours, others it can be a day or so.

The fact that it "self heals" as well does point to a serious network problem out there affecting a lot of the BT infrastructure.

The most irking thing is that the call centre don't have a clue about it. BT is not giving out any information and the CEO simply brushes it off as "it's only affecting a few people". Well, the ack that it IS affecting people should be enough to set a plan in action to locate and fix the problem. I'm not holding my breath ...

But, my connection is still good after 13 days now with no mortal intervention!

Go figure ...

Cheers,

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 03-Apr-12 22:34:01
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

How much do you think BT might pay to run the speed test part for them?

Their tester has never really coped that well, and one problem can be providers passing almost every caller through the system

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Tue 03-Apr-12 22:50:45
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well Andrew ....

Why not ask them ... the speed testing part is rubbish at the moment. Mind you with the plethora of problems around, I wonder how hard it's being hit ...

But, the problem exists at the moment that in order to report a fault you have to do a BT speed test, the last result being stored somewhere on a server which the call centre I assume can see. Mind you, the last part of storing also fails quite a number of times.

I use your tbb speed test a couple of times a day to keep track.

I use it via my wireless g, and see around 13-18 megs down and 4.6 up. These are the values I get when I use ethernet and get 37.5 down and 8.6 up. So, if my wireless tests are in the right ballpark, then I know my wired test will be pretty much OK.

speedtest.net gives slightly higher downloads, but very much higher uploads - usually around 8.6 megs up, and around 18-20 down.

I know they are based on different engines, and also the way the average speed is sampled as well (speedtest is more a peak I believe from what I read somewhere else on these forums).

Strange though how much faster the apparent upload speed is - but, I have to say the tbb stats are much more consistent.

So, how much are you going to bid then???? wink

Cheers,

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Yamaha AW16G user
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User

Edited by RobFlet (Tue 03-Apr-12 22:52:50)

Standard User andygegg
(learned) Tue 03-Apr-12 23:29:52
Print Post

The speedtester lite almost certainly is a random number generator. I've been monitoring it on my line for months and it differs from BT's full fat tester by anything up to a factor of 10. One day I'll pull out all the numbers and do the statistical test, just to be sure! On the other hand, it's always lower than the real speed so if they switch to it they're making a stick to beat their own backs (as if they actually give a hoot...)

2Mb/s? Not in my lifetime! (Nearly true Dec 2011)
(member) Wed 04-Apr-12 10:19:13
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Thanks guys.

I too have concluded that, as others have posted here and previously, the basic bt speedtester is an example of rubbish programming.

Trouble is that in the past bt have refused to accept findings of any other speedtester. Also, it gives info which tbb can't - e.g. ip profile/con rate.
Standard User stniuk
(experienced) Wed 04-Apr-12 11:03:58
Print Post

I find it gives nonsense results. The tester doesn't seem to give long enough to get an accurate reading.
I always get higher speeds using usenet.
I can confirm this as the speeds reported match the speeds reported on my menu bar in both cases.
So is speed tester is giving 3.0 I see 3.0 on the menu bar, in the case of usenet it's 4.6.
(member) Wed 04-Apr-12 21:06:15
Print Post

A new post on a similar thread on bt's own forums reveals the rivalry (?) between bt retail and bt wholesale - the latter being said to be responsible for the speedtest prog.
One might have thought that if bt retail are frustrated there would have been some mecvhanism to transmit their dissatisfactions to bt wholesale. Sadly, in mega-huge organisations it doesn't seem to work that way.
(member) Thu 05-Apr-12 20:51:23
Print Post

I have now received this amusing response to my own complaint re duff info:

Iím sorry that you are not happy with our BT Speedtester website. The reason we ask you to use this website is because we can see the results on our systems of the speedtest. I can confirm that the information on this website is correct.

i hate to be beaten but in this instance have decided that life is too short ...
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to