User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jaggy
(regular) Thu 12-Apr-12 11:47:26
Print Post

Before i jump on the BT Infinity wagon a question or 2

[link to this post]

I am with the PO for phone + BB and Have been reading all sorts of forums and watching all sorts of topics. I read loads on all sorts of problems with the HH 3`s and a few other problems.

My Main gripe would be the P2P problems, I Don`t touch the torrent side of that but i DO play xbox and ps3, And seen as they can both use the p2p system my question would be, Has anyone here had problem on ANY games?.

BT`s checker say`s i can get 31 down and 5.8 up.. better than the 3 down i get already lol,,

I`m kinda in 2 minds at the minute but need talking into it if yall would`nt mind , lmao......

Plus would it be an easy switch..would i need a MAC or owt ?

Edited by jaggy (Thu 12-Apr-12 11:49:00)

Standard User BattFink
(newbie) Thu 12-Apr-12 12:08:35
Print Post

Re: Before i jump on the BT Infinity wagon a question or 2

[re: jaggy] [link to this post]

Hi

I moved to BT Infinity from O2 back at the end of January.

I play a lot (probably too much) online games with my XBOX & PS3 & I've never had any problems connecting to games, other gamers, am almost always selected as host etc.. Even on the very rare occasion that I have used torrents, I can't say I've ever noticed any speed limitations

Migration wise it couldn't have been any more straight forwards, got my MAC code from O2 & gave it to BT.

My O2 ADSL connection was up & running until the point the Infinity install engineer disconnected my old router to install the new VDSL faceplate.. downtime was probably a maximum 30 minutes

Apart from a couple of weeks of slow running, It's been generally excellent service

Hope this helps
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 12-Apr-12 12:18:13
Print Post

Problems with P2P are usually mentioned by people who don't even have BT as their ISP.

Take it from me as someone actually using the service since mid 2010, it's fine.

I'd imagine you'll need a MAC from the post office yes.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 12-Apr-12 22:04:19
Print Post

[re: orly] [link to this post]

And the line rental would have to go to BT as well smile.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User jaggy
(regular) Fri 13-Apr-12 07:48:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ye, That i gathered smile , PO for me have got slow on the uptake as-of-late. So i`m swapping the whole package. Just waiting on what Sky offer and if nowt good then i`ll be ordering BT line and Infinity by this time next week smile
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Apr-12 12:04:13
Print Post

Well they now have fibre on their website, so I put my number into their checker and it only offered me ADSL2+ frown.

I've been on FTTC since Feb 2011!

I haven't managed to find any speed info.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User fowler002
(regular) Sat 14-Apr-12 03:14:46
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Well they now have fibre on their website, so I put my number into their checker and it only offered me ADSL2+ frown.

I've been on FTTC since Feb 2011!

I haven't managed to find any speed info.

as has been mentioned its 40mb/2mb, I tried the checker hand got 40.0mb-40.0mb for the fibre while adsl says 0.3mb-1.5mb

I was thinking about sky but will go with bt infinity, speed checker esitmates 51mb/13.5mb but hope we get better than that tho whatever will be a huge improvement over the 2.5mb max we get at the moment.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 14-Apr-12 09:28:09
Print Post

[re: fowler002] [link to this post]

We know the information a while ago was it would be 40/2, but a lot of us were wondering whether that might have changed by now, given the Infinity and TT immediate availability of 80/20. You being a case in point where they might now have permanently lost a customer.

Standard User fowler002
(regular) Sun 15-Apr-12 02:05:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
We know the information a while ago was it would be 40/2, but a lot of us were wondering whether that might have changed by now, given the Infinity and TT immediate availability of 80/20. You being a case in point where they might now have permanently lost a customer.

they just released the 40/2 service, think it'll take them a bit of time to announce the upgrade(80/x) as they'll want to get this up and running first.

as for loosing me as a customer, more a fact of the changing from bt to sky for the line rental etc rather than the added speed on infinity(as I wouldn't be making full use of the 50mb+ due to the location of the master socket compared to where my main desktop pc is).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 15-Apr-12 14:25:05
Print Post

[re: fowler002] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fowler002:
... as I wouldn't be making full use of the 50mb+ due to the location of the master socket compared to where my main desktop pc is.
Has this been discussed anywhere? Distance from the master socket to your PC should not be relevant.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to