User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User kial
(member) Sun 15-Apr-12 16:05:42
Print Post

Static IP for Minecraft server on BT Total Broadband?

[link to this post]

I've had BT Total Broadband for a couple of years but it looks like that might have to change.

My kids are asking to rent a Minecraft server and I was thinking it'll be better to have a static IP and use an old ITX PC with a 2GHz quad core CPU and 8GB RAM. Our broadband downstream is ~11k with the upstream at~1k. I'm not sure how many Minecraft users it would service but it's likely to be at least 100 users. Multiplay provide 100 player Minecraft servers with 8GB RAM but it costs almost £200 per month.

I have read BT do not allow home users to order a static IP which to me appears to be behind the times. I could switch to business broadband but the usage has nothing to do with business so I think a simple solution would be to allow home users to upgrade their package to one that allows ordering static IP addresses and they can price the package exactly the same as a similar business broadband package so as to prevent business customers from switching to a cheaper package.

I am not exactly sure about bandwidth usage yet but it could be around 50Mbit/s for 100 users.

Anyone running a Minecraft server at home with a static IP and can give some advice?

kial

Edited by kial (Sun 15-Apr-12 16:06:43)

Standard User Mhisani
(learned) Sun 15-Apr-12 16:20:28
Print Post

Re: Static IP for Minecraft server on BT Total Broadband?

[re: kial] [link to this post]

Solve the problem. Make an account aand free host at no-ip.org and use the no-ip client to update the ip then even if your ip changes you can still recieve connections at name.no-ip.org.
Standard User kial
(member) Sun 15-Apr-12 16:37:29
Print Post

[re: Mhisani] [link to this post]

I suggested it but they prefer the static IP and are also talking about a domain name and possibly running a web server.

kial

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User sph70
(learned) Sun 15-Apr-12 21:31:15
Print Post

Have you thought about saying NO. ?
I have no idea what Minecraft is or what servers it requires but it sounds like something they can't have.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sun 15-Apr-12 21:36:29
Print Post

If you don't want to go to Business, you'll have to migrate to an ISP who offers a static IP address - Zen, for example. There are many others.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User TMCR
(regular) Mon 16-Apr-12 00:58:04
Print Post

You can ask BT for a static IP, but they charge £5 a month for it. Some ISP's offer a free static IP, you need to check around.

edit: Just checked BT.com, cannot find the link now - they may not do it for personal customers, sorry.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Virgin Cable (L)

Edited by TMCR (Mon 16-Apr-12 01:02:58)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 16-Apr-12 07:27:29
Print Post

[re: TMCR] [link to this post]

Only for business customers. Discourages business use on their residential T&C's

For the server, why not rent a virtual server, or for just web hosting get a cheap domain package and get kids used to using ftp etc

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to