User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User fowler002
(regular) Mon 16-Apr-12 15:51:34
Print Post

Best method to connect pc to HH3 to get best out of infinty

[link to this post]

don't know if I'll get an answer as I tried posting this in another thread discussing homeplugs and got no reply but here goes anyway.

after many years of slow broadband(started at 512kb several years back to max of 2.5mb currently) will be moving onto bt infinity in a couple of weeks, with the btwholesale checker saying 51mb for our line(hopeful for higher) need a suitable method of connecting the hh3(which will be downstairs as the master socket is downstairs) to the desktop pc(upstairs) as long ethernet cable is not viable(we're looking at selling the house and the ethernet cable option requiring pulling up carpets, maybe drilling holes etc so as said not a viable option).

looking at http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devolo-dlan-200mbps-av... as I also have a ps3 in the room so the 3 ethernet ports will be useful plus can get 10% off + quidco works out at ~£80, will they give the 50/60mb or looking at under 40mb and need the 500mbps version( http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devolo-1721dlan-500-av... )?

another option if looking at the 500mbps versions is http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devolo-dlan-500mbps-av... then in the near future get http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/devolo-1715-dlan-500-a... and give the avmini adapter to my dad or sister.

also been looking at a wifi adapter(pci/pci-e) but have read that the best from wifi is under 40mb.

Edited by fowler002 (Mon 16-Apr-12 20:32:18)

Standard User fowler002
(regular) Mon 16-Apr-12 20:04:51
Print Post

Re: Best method to connect pc to HH3 to get best out of infi

[re: fowler002] [link to this post]

hmm 50 odd views and no replies, not surprised.

well if anyone cares just placed order for infinity option 2 and been offered £17.25/month for 12months, looked at the order tracking and it mentioned 18month contract so phoned back up and got told it is a 18month contract with a discount for the first 12months.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Mon 16-Apr-12 20:22:15
Print Post

Sure I will be told different but I got the 200Mbs, not the pc world ones and could not get your link to work but some off amazon for about £50 I think,

Read on here that they dont even do the 40mbs as it was full speed ( my speed is 38Mbs so full wack and plug the computer into the HH3 with the ethernet lead is that speed and then using the home plugs as master socket is in a cupboard so then also is the modem and HH3 that does wireless for the smart phone ok and the printer/scanner.

some way does not do that so proberly pushing your luck now it goes upto 80.

Would think the 500Mbs ones are ok but they do cause noise around the house and can kill poor old amateur radio.

they work for me and only got the £18 upto 40 speed and thats all I want then good enough for me.

You need the faster ones then ok I guess.

Easy to set up and nice item but the noise some say they should not exist as nasty items. But that was a radio amatuer and maybe they caused him problems.

For the money worth a go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bpwml4ROUsc

Do the fast ones not cause problems.

I got and now thinking not the way to do but the easy option.

Wiring all over the place and showing, I don't think so!,

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:10:01
Print Post

Can't help with the real question, but I think it has been discussed whether master >> modem .. homeplug .. homeplug .. router (HH) shouild work. IIRC the conclusion was that it would, and it does.

It's only the modem has to be near the master. The router is connected to it by ethernet ....

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User fowler002
(member) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:27:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Can't help with the real question, but I think it has been discussed whether master >> modem .. homeplug .. homeplug .. router (HH) shouild work. IIRC the conclusion was that it would, and it does.

It's only the modem has to be near the master. The router is connected to it by ethernet ....

the question isn't if it will work as I get that it will but more if the 200mbps version will give the 50-60mb throughput that my connection is meant to be capable of(will not know for certain what speeds I'll get till its connected in a couple of weeks), or if it'll bottle knect to sub 40mb and require the 500mbps version.

unless I'm mistaken having the modem connected to the hh3 directly then using homeplug or the way you said is effected the same in terms of the speeds you get.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:47:56
Print Post

Yes, I agree with your thinking. My suggestion was more to do with having the router available; reducing clutter my the master; and possibly a better position for any wifi you do have.

Have you seen the current thread of people testig the higher speed ones? MrSaffron and others?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User fowler002
(member) Mon 16-Apr-12 22:56:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Yes, I agree with your thinking. My suggestion was more to do with having the router available; reducing clutter my the master; and possibly a better position for any wifi you do have.

Have you seen the current thread of people testig the higher speed ones? MrSaffron and others?

I've posted in that thread but got no reply.
Standard User jchamier
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Apr-12 07:52:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by fowler002:
the question isn't if it will work as I get that it will but more if the 200mbps version will give the 50-60mb throughput that my connection is meant to be capable of(will not know for certain what speeds I'll get till its connected in a couple of weeks), or if it'll bottle knect to sub 40mb and require the 500mbps version.

In tests I did with my parents, and two Core i7 laptops (gigabit ethernet) the AV 200 homeplugs across the house gave around 60mbps, and the AV 500 homeplugs gave around 100mbps.

Your speeds will depend on how the electric circuits are wired too - until you test you won't know for certain.

James - be* pro - 16.8 or 17.2mbps BQM
Still waiting for FTTC cabinet since Mar 2011- THFB PCP 5
Standard User orly
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:12:20
Print Post

Best option is ethernet. Besides the effort required to run the cable, it'll likely be the cheapest too.

In our house we had to drill a hole up through the ceiling from the hall where the modem/hub are to run a cable to a room in the upstairs. The hole drilled comes out inside a wardrobe in one of the upstairs rooms, is then run under the carpet round that room, drilled through another wall into closet type space between the rooms, and then from the closet through another wall to the PC.

It wasn't actually that difficult nor did it take very long. Investigate how much work it would actually be. A few drill holes and dragging a cable through might not actually be that tough unless your room/house layout is particularly troublesome.

---
> Comparison chart of FTTC ISPs
> Got FTTC? Complete the survey

BT Infinity 8th July 2010
(NIBA)
600m (approx) to cabinet
Speedtest Tracking
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Apr-12 15:07:29
Print Post

[re: jchamier] [link to this post]

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/dslrouter/t/4113575...

The AV200 are fairly old, and people have said maybe a firmware upgrade to get a bit more speed.
I would say only buy the AV500 if you plan to use it for FTTC.

Still can't beat Ethernet cable, but thats not always easy for people to install.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to