User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Merly
(regular) Tue 17-Apr-12 10:02:04
Print Post

ADSL2+ Query

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

According to samknows.com my exchange has recently been upgraded to ADSL2+, and I received an email from BT overnight saying that my line has been upgraded, however nothing has changed and my modem still reports G.992.1 annex A which I believe is standard ADSL ?

I've always got pretty much full speed (8,128 Kbps) as I'm less than 1 km from the exchange and I still get that but no more, I was expecting a least a couple of meg improvement ?

I have BT Vision and I seem to recall a problem with it that they fixed by 'fixing' the speed on my line, I wonder if something has stuck somewhere ?

Thanks for any advice.

Ian
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Apr-12 10:31:53
Print Post

Re: ADSL2+ Query

[re: Merly] [link to this post]

Yes, G.992.1 = G.DMT = ADSL(1). ADSL2+ is G.992.5. Give it a few days,

Post your router stats.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Merly
(regular) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:04:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Thanks for your reply, here are the stats:

Modulation: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 3.30 / 18.17

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 10.0 / 19.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 9.5 / 23.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 12.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 12

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 12

Line Profile: Fast

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:13:32
Print Post

You should get 17 - 18 Sync @ 6 dB NM on ADSL2+.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User Merly
(regular) Tue 17-Apr-12 11:22:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Fingers crossed then, I'll wait a few days and hopefully I'll be switched to ADSL2, its weird that they sent out the email, but haven't switched me yet, my homehub reset itself last night, so I was hoping it was done.

Thanks for your help.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Apr-12 12:47:58
Print Post

If exchange has just had 21CN added then its a two stage process

1. Move the backhaul part over from 20CN to 21CN where provider chooses to. Suspect this is what happened.
2. Submit orders to migrate lines from 20CN to 21CN, this is not done automatically, and relies on provider submitting orders. This may happen over the next few weeks.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Merly
(regular) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:00:24
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the info.

I'll just wait and see what happens, if BT hadn't sent me an email saying 'Service update: network upgrade completed' and:

'Good news
This is to let you know that we've now upgraded your line and you should now have an improved, more consistent broadband connection, and maybe a speed increase.

then I wouldn't be bothered, but it seems they may have jumped the gun in sending it out.
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:32:31
Print Post

I had one of these emails a while back but it had nothing to do with an upgrade to ADSL2+ on my exchange, and was most probably general maintenence.

Have you checked your number on the BT Wholesale checker to see what it comes back with?
Standard User Merly
(regular) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:42:17
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

I get this from the link you provided:

'Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 8Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 7Mbps and 8Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 11Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 15Mbps. Our test also indicates that your line could support an estimated ADSL 2+ Annex-M broadband upstream line speed of 1Mbps and downstream line speed of 11Mbps; typically the downstream speed would range between 6.5Mbps and 15Mbps.'

Hopefully it will just be a matter of time.

Thanks
  Print Thread

Jump to