User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User foxycat
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:37:18
Print Post

Infinity 80/20 speed tests discrepancy

[link to this post]

My Infinity connection was upgraded overnight Sunday to IP profile 77.43. However the BT speed tester shows only 39 down and 7.84 up (with 47.92 on the "assured rate" test).
TBB tester comes up at 42.1/6.7, but speedtest.net shows the speeds I would expect - 74.92/16.44. I'm about 150-200 meters from the cabinet and the d/l estimate when I ordered was 69.
I've tried the tests yesterday and today with similar results.
Anyone know why the discrepancy?
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:51:21
Print Post

Re: Infinity 80/20 speed tests discrepancy

[re: foxycat] [link to this post]

The first two checkers can't cope. TBB checker often fails to live up to expectation. Try the BT speed test during off-peak.
Standard User foxycat
(member) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:57:35
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Not sure when "off peak" is, but if it's the early hours of the morning I'll be sleeping! LOL!

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Tue 17-Apr-12 13:59:02
Print Post

Peak is usually 4pm to 10pm.
Standard User sel
(member) Wed 18-Apr-12 23:35:35
Print Post

My speeds have actually got worse since the "upgrade".

I was getting:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1879405558.png

and I now get:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1902326074.png

OK, upload has increased slightly, but download has dropped by well over 10Mbps. I have tried this every day since the upgrade and at different times of the day. I have sometimes hit 25Mpbs, but nothing like what I was getting before. I was estimated to get 66Mbps and I sync at the full 79984.

Is this normal? Any clues?
Standard User Fido
(committed) Thu 19-Apr-12 03:01:18
Print Post

[re: sel] [link to this post]

BT upgraded my line a few days ago and my experience so far is similar to others in that the expected speed increase has not yet arrived.

My download speed is around the same as it was. (It was previously about 37mbps down and it is still about 37mbps down).

My upload speed is a bit better. (It was previously about 8mbps up and it is now just under 12 mbps up.

The broadband connection is a presently a bit snappier loading web pages and browsing but it was really snappy when it was first installed, (about six months ago), and it did deteriorate over time. (The headline speed tests always tended to be OK).

So far the upgrade is not as advertised.

I have contacted BT about the lack of upgrade speed and they have said that it is due to the 10 day settlement period and that the speed should increase day by day as time goes bye but I have the feeling that this explanation is load of rubbish.

Regards,
Fido

BT Infinity
Standard User paul1360
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 08:17:07
Print Post

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

My Predicted speed was 69.5Mb / 20Mb the D/L speed has gone up a bit each day am up to 76Mb now but the U/L is going down was 15+Mb now is only 11Mb. The other day I carried a lot of test's with different tester's the results were around the same but the big discrepancy was my ping going from 15Ms to 143.26Ms.
iechyd da

Standard User Basenji
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Apr-12 08:17:20
Print Post

[re: sel] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by sel:
My speeds have actually got worse since the "upgrade".

I was getting:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1879405558.png

and I now get:
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1902326074.png

OK, upload has increased slightly, but download has dropped by well over 10Mbps. I have tried this every day since the upgrade and at different times of the day. I have sometimes hit 25Mpbs, but nothing like what I was getting before. I was estimated to get 66Mbps and I sync at the full 79984.

Is this normal? Any clues?
Hi there,

Have you tried restarting your white OR modem? Some people on other fora have reported that they get lower download speeds until they do so.

I hope this info helps. laugh

Nothing to see here.. Move along, please
My Broadband Speed Test laugh
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 08:22:03
Print Post

[re: Fido] [link to this post]

Hello

At least you get some excuse (that lovely india call centre and the so called technical support I guess). Went to my BT and did the free upgrade to the 10Meg upload still 40 down as the cheaper £18 option I have had 11 month since may.
Did that monday morning before getting ready for work. Tried it using this speed test as linked below Tuesday morning so pretty much 24 hours later to the dot and got the usuall 37Meg down as it does and now was 7. something up, closer to 8 I think.
So as good as it would.

Unlocked white modem so had a look at the good stuff on its web pages and now 10Meg connection and the down the same at 40 so all as good as the package and my money allows. So happy smile.
Tried again tuesday maybe 6 hours later and was back to this just done

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1902850069.png

Upload back to 2Meg tops.
So teasing me or what, changes the night after the order. Works so a morning and then taken away.
Gave it another night as guess the computer does the change at night (thought this must be a computer and not a person thing, just a profile change).
so waited to the next day so yesterday morning and still the same 2Meg up so wrote email as cant ring to 8am and this being 7 ish.
They did ring up just under 3 hours later so india call centre quick and after the first woman said her piece, put me onto the technical guys.

So hard work. Did the bt speedtester thing he wanted when I rang back in the afternoon as at work on the mobile phone ( so tried home and not answered, little clue there I might not have been home).
So rang back later and 45 minute phone call him getting fed up and me a bit nasty doing pointless speedtests and conection is good as getting 40 down.
What part of that is not the problem was hard to understand. Ran at 10 Up tuesday and was then dropped back to 2 was the proplem.

Now have to speedtest evey now and then and he will ring up today to see if things are better.

How will it when it runs at 1.7Meg each time as 2Meg profile as unlocked modem says but done tell them I have done that last year.

Unless it is set at 10 and I see it speedtest at 7 then keep moaning I will,
Everytime something goes wrong be it with this or noisy phone line ( and thier chechers said all ok, not if it crackles and is useless). Wrote to main man in england and his team here sorted it out and money back for the messing around india (useless) gave me.

Can see another email to someone in the country who listens coming on after today.

Why is it so hard to change upload speed to 10. Was done for a moning tuesday then taken away!.

Rant over.

BT, pratts or talking chimps when you ring the so called experts. Give me england then things happen.

Enough said.
Now to put back the unlocked firmware on the white modem as but the nasty cant get into stuff back on yesterday incase I got caught out but dont thing I will.

I like to see the good stuff it says so back on with rthe cracked see all the stats firmware.

Bet a million pounds the stats give 2Meg up connection, I did like the 10 up I had for a morning, cant get that through to them.

Doing speedtests pointless, just the same it has been for 11 months if profile is 2.

Another BT day then fighting to get something sorted I shoiuld not have to.

a boring profile change as many will go through every day now the free upgrade is here and they cant even get that right.

Hassle last year with dodgy phone line that got done in the end . bad joint in the road by the house. Now this, what joy.
Standard User Daniel_g
(member) Thu 19-Apr-12 08:24:01
Print Post

[re: Basenji] [link to this post]

I done all that and put back the normal modem crippled unlocked firmware. Did not work for me. Another maon at the poor guy when he rings up today ( and to be fair they always do when they say, just always hard work getting listened to, we idiots they know it all).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to