User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 09:49:27
Print Post

Infinity FTTC new install - very low throughput

[link to this post]

My sister-in-law has just had BT Infinity installed (using the BT Home Hub3) - however, they are seeing very low throughput (around 2 - 5MB) on all attached devices (whether wireless or wired). Upload is around 7MB (in line with what I would expect on the 40/10 service).

I went round and did a BT Speedtest and it showed that the profile for the download was set to 38.2MB, but that throughput was measured at around 1MB (the line was red in any case). I haven't got the exact result unfortunately.

Edit: Modem and router have been rebooted several times.

The ADSL checker reads this for their line:

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 58.8Mbps and upstream line speed of 20Mbps.

I'm looking for advice about what they should do - it is only about 5 days since they were connected - does the 10 day settling down period still apply for FTTC and if so, should they wait until 10 days have elapsed before they contact BT (which is what I have suggested they do)?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by jhurrell (Wed 18-Apr-12 09:50:18)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Apr-12 11:36:07
Print Post

Re: Infinity FTTC new install - very low throughput

[re: jhurrell] [link to this post]

When using wired pay a visit to www.broadbandreports.com/tweaks and adjust the RWIN if it suggests it needs changing.

NOTE: On Windows 7 machines you should not need to do this.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User nelix01
(committed) Wed 18-Apr-12 11:46:36
Print Post

[re: jhurrell] [link to this post]

Have you tried the Beta Speed test above 24Mbps? I get the same problem as you have experienced when using the normal speedtester.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 12:51:00
Print Post

[re: nelix01] [link to this post]

Thanks - good point. Will try that.
Standard User jhurrell
(experienced) Wed 18-Apr-12 12:54:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the suggestion will try it - although this is happening on three separate laptops (all Vista as it happens). One of the Vista laptops is my own and is regularly on my own home ADSL2+ connection syncing at 15MB and have no trouble achieving full speed on that.

Other speedtesters are reporting the same results (Namesco, Thinkbroadband, Speedtest.net)...
  Print Thread

Jump to