User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Mon 23-Apr-12 13:37:05
Print Post

Delay in installation due to exchange issues? Couple of ques

[link to this post]

I ordered BT infinity last Thursday and I'm in Eastbourne. I imagine I'm one of the first in the town to make an order as not everywhere in town is even active yet. I just seem to be in a lucky area. I got the homehub today in the post!

I was due the install on Wednesday but got a call today saying due to exchange issues my appointment had been cancelled. to add to that there is an issue with my phone line where I can't make/get calls and the existing Internet connection keeps dropping out. There is an open fault with BT and they look like they are about to start digging up the behind my garden soon as there are barriers up now.

I have a couple of questions for you guys here...

1. Could the line issues be the cause of the delay? I asked on the phone and the guy said it probably didn't help but it appeared that there was an issue with the cabinet or exchange.

2. How quickly can I get this appointment rescheduled? Is it conceivable they could fix the issue causing the delay before Wedneday and then still come this week to install it?

I took the whole week of work and it perfectly timed with this install but next week I will be working so it will make it very hard if not impossible to arrange an appointment next week. I need it to be done this week.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Apr-12 16:35:20
Print Post

Re: Delay in installation due to exchange issues? Couple of

[re: Spinstorm] [link to this post]

It sounds like the line fault you have is one wire of the pair disconnected or broken somewhere. Perhaps where they intend to dig. Is the broadband very slow when it does connect?

If that is the case then it would be impossible to have Infinity installed as the installation testing would fail.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Mon 23-Apr-12 18:41:38
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
It sounds like the line fault you have is one wire of the pair disconnected or broken somewhere. Perhaps where they intend to dig. Is the broadband very slow when it does connect?

If that is the case then it would be impossible to have Infinity installed as the installation testing would fail.

It's intermittent so sometimes it's fast and sometimes it's slow but it always disconnects randomly. I'm annoyed at how long they are taking to fix it now. It's been dug up and left all day.

The engineer that came on Thursday said they would have it fixed by Wednesday and it shouldn't interfere with infinity but now it appears it has.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Apr-12 20:05:07
Print Post

Hi.

Where abouts in Eastbourne are you, as I didn't think OR had any FTTC cabs up & running yet.
They are still installing the cabs like mad, & the map of road works for the town shows BT working everywhere during the coming month.
I live in Hampden Park/Willingdon area, & FTTC cabs are going up like mushrooms around here.

plusnet Extra
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Mon 23-Apr-12 21:29:01
Print Post

[re: MadMan] [link to this post]

BN213RB - just near the DGH. Infinity checker sas I can get 73Mbits down/20 up.

Ordered last thursday was meant to be installed on Wednesday.
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Apr-12 23:02:14
Print Post

The cab opposite the DGH has been there a while, but I didn't know it was up & running.

BTW, that postcode BN213RB points to the Avenue/Avenue Lane in the town centre.

plusnet Extra
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-12 15:50:03
Print Post

I typed the postcode wrong, I was going for the actual post code of the cabinet so you know where it is.

The fault on my line has been fixed and they confirmed that was the reason for the issue.

What seems silly is that my original appointment was tomorrow and the line is fixed so why can't they just still come tomorrow? I don't understand that. The women I spoke to on the phone did say they would escalate it so it could still be this weekend which is good news but it seems uneccessary delay to me.
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Apr-12 16:52:12
Print Post

Thats ok. I know where the cab is, as I've worked in it enough times.

Glad the fault has been fixed. Good luck with the install smile

I'm hoping for top speed, or very close to it. I'm 200 metres from cab, with copper all the way.

plusnet Extra
Using a Draytek Vigor 2850Vn
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Tue 24-Apr-12 17:22:01
Print Post

Well your the expert. I'm also around the same distance away. Speed checker says 73Mbits down and 20 up so I hate the fact I have to wait until the end of the week at best when the fault is now fixed and tomorrows appointment could have happened.

What exactly does the infinity install involve? I have an original ADSL master socket engineer installed so is it simply a case of plugging in the VDSL modem?
Standard User MadMan
(knowledge is power) Tue 24-Apr-12 17:44:12
Print Post

They'll change the NTE front plate to a VDSL type, & run a data cable if needed.

I retired 2 years ago, after 10 years doing ADSL/SDSL, so have yet to see an FTTC install. The Openreach modem will stay in it's box, as I have a Draytek Vigor 2850Vn router that can handle VDSL to profile 30a, & can also handle FTTP to 1Gbs.

plusnet Extra
Using a Draytek Vigor 2850Vn
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to