User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User The_Voyager
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-12 09:31:59
Print Post

BT Infinity monitoring

[link to this post]

Has anyone managed to get either RouterStats or DMT to work with BT's Infinity Modem ?

Bob
BT Home Highway+CIX -> Nildram until Pipex -> SKY -> Be*Unlimited ->BT Infinity WRBRIX

Edited by The_Voyager (Wed 25-Apr-12 10:05:25)

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-12 09:56:42
Print Post

Re: BT Infinity monitoring

[re: The_Voyager] [link to this post]

It would have to work with the modem (not the router).
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-12 10:04:26
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Yes, of course it would, not used to having them seperate - question still stands though

Bob
BT Home Highway+CIX -> Nildram until Pipex -> SKY -> Be*Unlimited ->BT Infinity WRBRIX

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobFlet
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-12 11:24:03
Print Post

The modem is locked so you can't do much with it in terms of getting at stats etc ...

Lots of people have flashed these modems with new firmware and unlocked them to get at all the stats and other wonderful things you can do with these modems, if you so wish.

Search out info on this forum ...

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/bd-p/BTInfinity

Not that I advocate doing this, but it can be a bit annoying not being able to get at line stats etc.

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 37.5 megs now on ethernet)

Dual Yamaha AW16G user using MIDI MMC for 16 tracks
Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-12 11:34:18
Print Post

[re: RobFlet] [link to this post]

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look at that, but I'm not too keen on touching the modem, I might also take a look at the new Draytek vRouter to replace the modem & HomeHub 3 or even better for me wait until Netgear bring one out, seeing as I'm used to Netgear Routers.

Bob
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-12 15:05:24
Print Post

Looks like getting a new modem/router is a good idea. The netgears seem to have a good reputation and can hang onto the Infinity lines OK (again from the BTCare forum postings). The Draytek does seem to be the modem/router of choice.

Many have found that just a new Netgear router to replace the HH3 has given much more stable connections and good speeds- a number of favourable posts around.

Many have seen the "slow down" problem (myself included). You start off with a good speed e.g. 37 megs on a 40 line, and over maybe a day or so it drops to single figures. A HH3 restart, with a new IP, seems to solve it in many cases. It seems to be a generic problem, and no-one at BT wants to own the issue. That said, now I am on 80/20, and have installed homeplugs for my machines, I see 56-64 megs without fail and stable with no restarts required (IPP 66.2). The only difference being the new speed and NOT using the HH3 wireless.

Good luck with the new kit when you get it!

Cheers,

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User
(committed) Wed 25-Apr-12 15:16:38
Print Post

I have been looking at the Draytek 2750n and the 2850n &Vn, they all look good but pricey, I also looked at the Fritz! 7390 which looks very nice, think I'll wait a couple of months and see whether the prices come down.

Netgear at the moment doesn't appear to do a Router/modem only Routers but hopefully that will change

Bob
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 19:00:00
Print Post

In reply to a post by RobFlet:
Many have seen the "slow down" problem (myself included). You start off with a good speed e.g. 37 megs on a 40 line, and over maybe a day or so it drops to single figures. A HH3 restart, with a new IP, seems to solve it in many cases. It seems to be a generic problem, and no-one at BT wants to own the issue. That said, now I am on 80/20, and have installed homeplugs for my machines, I see 56-64 megs without fail and stable with no restarts required (IPP 66.2). The only difference being the new speed and NOT using the HH3 wireless.
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/t/4116997-re-...

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User RobFlet
(experienced) Wed 25-Apr-12 23:42:26
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ta for this ... but this person in the ref was using a Linksys router not an HH3.

But, I do wonder if there's a similar problem with the HH3 ...

Rob

1999 Freeserve Dial up --> Freeserve Anytime ---> 2005 Wanadoo 512k BB ---> Jul 2009 Orange up 8 Megs(hah!) --> Nov 2009 O2 LLU -> Nov 2011 BT Infinity( getting 64 megs now on ethernet via TPlink homeplug 200's)

Red5Audio Microphones

FujiFilm HS-10 User
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 25-Apr-12 23:58:29
Print Post

I didn't spot the Linksys frown.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to