User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Thu 26-Apr-12 10:05:20
Print Post

Infinity installed but Internet not active?

[link to this post]

I just had the engineer leave and he hooked up the infinity connection but the router won't sync and connect to the Internet.

He phoned up BT and they said that the line will be active from midnight tonight.

So I am left with an Internet connection I can't use until tomorrow...? I'm not blaming the engineer as he was unhappy at the problem too. My concern is if the line doesn't start working then I am left with no one to help sort it out here.

Has anyone else had this problem or has any suggestions? It's a migration from BE.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:00:36
Print Post

Re: Infinity installed but Internet not active?

[re: Spinstorm] [link to this post]

Do you mean he couldn't get the modem to sync to the exchange? Or that worked, and it is just the router (Home Hub?) that can't connect to the internet.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 19:39:11
Print Post

If you are using the Home Hub, do mean that the b light is solid orange ? If so, you are looking at a V21 fault, or possibly the ports remote path has been incorrectly built.
The engineer should not have left it in this state. I'd suggest ring BT Broadband now, and have them raise a fault.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Fri 27-Apr-12 01:32:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

It's now after midnight. I was told at midnight the line would be active.

The B is flashing orange. It never turns solid anything.

The engineer had his metre and it showed it handshakes and synced fine.

I don't know what to do. I could be stuck with no broadband all weekend at least now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have moved from BE but my phone line was always with BT.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Apr-12 01:54:59
Print Post

I think you are saying the modem is sync'ed to the exchange, which I asked a while back.

If I'm right, try this. Is there a Reset button on the HH? Should be accessed with the end of a paperclip into a small hole, probably at the back. If so, while the router is on, do that gently but firmly, and hold it pressed until other lights start flashing. Release the button and wait while it restarts. See if you can then connect.

If that fails, somewhere in these forums, (sorry off-hand I don't know), there are the BT login details you need to connect by linking a computer by ethernet direct to LAN1 on the modem, ignoring the HH. (I assume the Home Hub is connected to LAN1?). You would then have a connection.

But it does sound a bit like your broadband account at BT Retail hasn't been activated frown.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Fri 27-Apr-12 11:09:54
Print Post

I'm on the phone now to BT but it seems that they will have to send an engineer and that's totally unacceptable as he didn't find a problem yesterday.

I don't have a choice It seems - apparently its an exchange issue but someone is coming tomorrow to sort it out. Surely if it's an exchange issue someone made a mistake hooking it up the yesterday? I

'm happy that they will sort it out tomorrow but not happy that I have to go two days without Internet when it should have been sorted out. This should have been checked yesterday!!!!
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 27-Apr-12 14:45:30
Print Post

You haven't answered any of my questions yet, particularly about the modem frown. Is the DSL light green, and when the router is switched on is the modem LAN1 light green?

Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Fri 27-Apr-12 15:35:45
Print Post

The DSL and LAN lights are both green. On the HH3 power and wifi are blue and the bb light flashes orange.

I've tried connecting it to the Apple Time Capsule using the password that you guys gave me but that doesn't work and I've also tried connecting directly to my Mac using the settings but that didn't work either.

I assume there must be an issue on the cab/exchange/circuit on that basis. Support also say the line is active so that isn't the reason. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 27-Apr-12 15:51:46
Print Post

The green DSL light on the openreach modem shows you are connected to a port at the cabinet, now it might be the wrong port, but that would be sorted out at the cabinet.

If the account has not been setup to authenticate all the through the network to the internet again that is done remotely, even to the exchange.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Spinstorm
(committed) Fri 27-Apr-12 17:01:20
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

So does it seem most likely that it is connected to the wrong port in the cabinet rather than anything with the exchange?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to