User comments on ISPs
  >> BT Broadband

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dyrnog
(experienced) Thu 26-Apr-12 14:52:39
Print Post

Move from talktalk to BT

[link to this post]

Hi
Been with talktalk for a couple of years on unbundled line but moving back to BT on 1/5.
Couple of questions if anyone can help

BT have emailed saying an engr MAY need to come and fit new line, I thought BT would just swap lines over at exchange?

As local exchange is 21CN WBC enabled am I likely to see any speed increase over talktalk, with talktalk usually get 7 meg ish, BT have forecast between 4 and 11, probably 7.

samknows says I am 1.1 km straight line to exchange.

Thanks in advance for any info.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 14:57:34
Print Post

Re: Move from talktalk to BT

[re: dyrnog] [link to this post]

Should be no need for a new telephone line at all

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html#s...

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dyrnog
(experienced) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:14:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

thanks
Thats what I thought, read some where about current provider not releasing the line but think BT could sort that.

Will speed be any better with BT

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:33:24
Print Post

In reply to a post by dyrnog:
thanks
Thats what I thought, read some where about current provider not releasing the line but think BT could sort that.

Will speed be any better with BT
What do your routers stats tell you, if you are able to access them could you post them here? as the attenuation figure is key to finding out what sync you could be able to get, Samknows and the btw checker are mere guesses and no more sometimes they are even completely wrong

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:03:30
Print Post

If the phone number was originally a Virgin Media one it can add a complication, but porting should be supported of the number

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dyrnog
(experienced) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:07:20
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Thanks - line was BT originally, Virgin/fibre don`t know where North Wales is yet
just taken stats

Mode
Routing
ADSL Mode ADSL2+
ADSL Type Annex A
Status Up

Downstream Upstream
Rate(Kbps) 10004 942

SNR Margin(dB) 9.9 11.9
Attenuation(dB) 19.4 40.0
Output Power(dBm) 0 12

Super Frames 12412715 12412716
RS Correctable Errors 64372 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0

HEC Errors 0 0
Total Cells 8471 7473
Data Cells 0 0
Bit Errors 0 0

Edited by dyrnog (Thu 26-Apr-12 16:09:07)

Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:23:35
Print Post

In reply to a post by dyrnog:
Thanks - line was BT originally, Virgin/fibre don`t know where North Wales is yet
just taken stats

Mode
Routing
ADSL Mode ADSL2+
ADSL Type Annex A
Status Up

Downstream Upstream
Rate(Kbps) 10004 942

SNR Margin(dB) 9.9 11.9
Attenuation(dB) 19.4 40.0
Output Power(dBm) 0 12

Super Frames 12412715 12412716
RS Correctable Errors 64372 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0

HEC Errors 0 0
Total Cells 8471 7473
Data Cells 0 0
Bit Errors 0 0
According to what is being reported by the router, you are currently syncing around the 10mbit mark, you could ask tt support via their forum,(i'm told ) not via their dire telephone support, to change your profile, from the 12-or 9snr it currently appears to be set at to a target noise margin of 6db, you may see an increase of a anything upto 2mbits more so a top sync of say 12- 12.5 mbit

I would try via the forum before moving to BT As you may end up with a lower sync depending on how stable the line is, as they use DLM and ip profiling which so matter how you dress it up act to limit throughput/sync, then add their poor support,outsourced/overseas script monkeys and the throttling/censoring/blocking of web sites that's bt retail

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:40:42
Print Post

The 3dB target margin on WBC now means WBC can outperform LLU

Also ip profiling is dynamic on WBC, and is not stepped, so the lose from that has gone.

Standard User dyrnog
(experienced) Thu 26-Apr-12 16:42:32
Print Post

Right thanks.
Want to go with BT as poor mobile signal at work but BT fon is available.
Have used talktalk forum and support from them is very good, your description of talktalk telephone support as dire is, I think, being generous.

I got the impression that forum support on BT website was OK/good, though only been on it a few times to have a look.

Thanks again, only 18 month contract anyway. gulp
Standard User tommy45
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 26-Apr-12 17:17:19
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
The 3dB target margin on WBC now means WBC can outperform LLU

Also ip profiling is dynamic on WBC, and is not stepped, so the lose from that has gone.
Which at face value and in theory is good, but perish the thought your line develops a fault or is being subjected to interference from outside that then would only work against you slowing sync down increasing target snr , even in the event of the fault /noise being intermittent, it's still got potential to cause you extra probs,

Better without DLM at all, or the counter part IP profiling , as for the theoretical 88% of sync throughput if using PPOA you can come close to that on LLU i used to with ukonline and fastpath to the equation higher sync higher throughput , although BT retail can enable fastpath you would most probably need the patience of a saint when making such a simple request as that from them, then there's potential for it to be somehow switched off again at a later time, probably due to dlm or error rate thresholds, which to some are insignificant no thank's

Edited by tommy45 (Thu 26-Apr-12 17:19:55)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to